Tsuki Qs in AHBA HTD1

Old May 31st 04, 11:45 PM

Default Tsuki Qs in AHBA HTD1

Tsuki and I went to an AHBA trial hosted by Western Rottweile Owners in
Pescadero at Willowside Ranch. The weather was lovely, a bit too much
wind perhaps, but over all very nice. On Saturday Tsuki was a little
ramped up. OK he was very ramped up. I figured we weren't going to be in
the arena long when he started turning circles just walking to the post.
Luckily I had it video taped because I really don't remember it, except I
stopped him pretty quickly said "Thank you" and left. While a lot of
people told me how they were surprised I left so quickly the judge was
very complimentary. He said it was a good decision that would pay back in
the long run.

On Sunday Tsuki started very very nice. Calm trot down to the lift, very
nice wide out run, and straight as an arrow down to the post. We lost
half a point out of 20. He got just a bit intense and I had trouble
stopping him but the turn at the post was as tight as could be. WE lost
1.5 points out of 20, not bad. The problem was that the draw was diagonl
to the post. Meaning that if I sent him on the "come bye" the way I'd
been doing in practice he have to race like h*ll to get in front and cut
them off and person anfter person had lost the sheep to the corner trying
that. I don't remember exactly what I tried but it went OK. Lost 4 out of
15 points. AT this point the devil dog shows up. He knows the sheep want
to run which makes him pushier and faster which makes the sheep more
anxious. We got the run away down to the dreaded corner. There was no
real wear/drive to the 2nd panel although we did get them through it, put
lost them again to the corner. We lost half of the 15 points. Sent him
to pick the sheep back up. The judge got out of her chair to watch him.
I'm pretty sure she was concerned about his wildness, and that the corner
was pretty much out of my view - not entirely but blocked by the panels.
Ha! He kept them off the fence and brought them down to the pen. Points
lost? 0! I had a little trouble getting him to stand for the pen, he
wanted to take the sotck aomewhare, but we got them all penned with no
runaway, lost 2.5 points out of 10. We needed 63 points to qualify. We
finished with 74 points and fourth place. And that's the first leg of our
HTD1. I'm very very happy.

Tsuki also got some real work done the last couple of days. I think I've
said before that his element is the open field. My instructor was under
the weather but offered to allow me to practice. But I neeed to bring the
sheep in. So we went out the the big field where he went and gathere the
entire flock (30-40 sheep) off a steep slippery hill and brought them all
straight to me with no bobbles at all. WE drove the flock out of the
pasture, though a gate, into another field, out another gate, down the big
pratice field, out another gate, thorugh the middle field and finally into
the front pasture where we sorted out five to practice with. Very cool.

And at the trial the ranch flock decided to come down and grass
immediately outside the trial arena, so Tsuki and I went down and putshed
them back up their hill bihind the trees to screen them from the trial
dogs. TSuki thaought that was way cool even though I wouldn't let him off
the leash to do it. There were ewes with lambs in the group, not to
mention a guard Llama, so it would have been out of his league but it
worked well enough as it was.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old June 1st 04, 07:41 PM
Jo Wolf

Outstanding! And well written: I could tell eactly what was going on,
even if I'm a bit shakey on herding terminology. (Terriers not being
famed herders....)

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old June 2nd 04, 01:27 AM
Rocky

Diane said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

Tsuki and I went to an AHBA trial hosted by Western
Rottweile Owners in Pescadero at Willowside Ranch.

Neat that this was put on by Rottweiler folks! Were there any
Rotties competing?

From my *very* little experience of putting dogs on sheep, I can
appreciate the enormity of Tsuki's and your accomplishment.
Congratulations! You're giving McCaig a run for his money in
cool herding stories.

Old June 2nd 04, 03:29 AM

On 2 Jun 2004 00:27:34 GMT Rocky whittled these words:
Diane said in rec.pets.dogs.activities:

Tsuki and I went to an AHBA trial hosted by Western
Rottweile Owners in Pescadero at Willowside Ranch.

Neat that this was put on by Rottweiler folks! Were there any
Rotties competing?

Yes there were, and doing very well too. One in HTD2 and two in HTD1.
Several showed up for JHD and HCT.

From my *very* little experience of putting dogs on sheep, I can
appreciate the enormity of Tsuki's and your accomplishment.
Congratulations! You're giving McCaig a run for his money in
cool herding stories.

Thanks - I think I have more than a bit to go yet on that one, but it made
me smile.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old June 2nd 04, 06:05 PM
KrisHur

Hugs and kisses to the pooch--big congrats!

--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT, R1MCL

snip