Home Visit Checklist?

Old September 27th 03, 06:41 PM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:56:42 GMT, "Chris Jung"
wrote:

Just jumping in with a report on a recent home check done on me.

I volunteered with the local SPCA to be a foster home for kittens. I filled
out an application which asked all sort of questions (home owner or rent,
other pets, kids, etc). I had to give three references and my vet reference
(the SPCA actually called them).

Then a the foster program coordinator came to my house for a home check.
She looked where the kitten's would be staying. The rules say that they must
be able to be isolated and since the kitten crate is in my studio, she even
asked if I used any nasty chemicals when making art (I do occasionally use
Polyurethane and explained how I normally use it and how I would change my
procedure for when I have kitten fosters). She met my DH, my DS and the
collies. After we all past muster, she went over the fostering program and
procedures.

I didn't have a bit of trouble with having a stranger in my house. My son
has just started kindergarten and now we are having some of his school
friends and their parents visit. Since this is a college town, many of the
parents are either students (often grad), from other countries and transient
to this town. I don't know much about them but it's cool.

If having strangers in my house bothered me I would be insane by now. I
have a rather unique situation in that the rental office for Lucente Homes
(the developer for this subdivision, they built all the houses and still own
about 10% of them which they rent, they also have about 10 apartment
buildings scattered around) is exactly one block from us, both houses are in
the northwest corner of their blocks, both are raised raches with pinkish
brick facade and at least once every month or so, someone walks into my
house thinking that this is the Lucentes rental office house. One guy was
in a real hurry, he came barging through the front door, into my kitchen
where I was stirring spaghetti sauce, rent threw a check at me and ran back
out. Fortunately I was able to catch him before he got out of the driveway
to alert him of his mistake. Most people stop dead in their tracks when they
see Pablo looking at them calmly from inside. By then I'm there to redirect
them to the right house. One of these days I'm going to accept a Lucente
rent check with a big smile and thank you. ;-)

My biggest concern with having people in my house is that I'm a -ahem-
"casual" housekeeper. I have a perpetually hairy couch, not even one
painting or decoration on my wall which is odd since in theory I'm an
artist. My furniture placement is based on providing proper running
pathways for crazy son, husband (yes he joins in), dogs and now kittens.
Dave and I putter around absent mindedly and don't realized how junky this
place looks until people visit.

Speaking of fostering, the kittens will be going back to the shelter on
Sunday. We'll miss the little nutcases. They were spooky when they arrived
(they had been removed from their mother, a semi-feral barn cat, at 4 weeks)
but after 4 weeks at Frau Jung's School for Kitten Hooligans, they have been
socialized up the wazoo and are ready to cause major havoc in their new
family's homes.

Chris, her two smoothies, one visiting golden retriever pup and the trio of
nutty kittens,
Zeffie, Pablo, Nicky (aka Nick-Nack-Paddy-Wack), Black, Tortie & Tiger

You're pretty smug, there, Chrissie. But all it would take is one
suicide bomber in your living room to wipe the smurk off your face.

Charlie

Old September 27th 03, 06:47 PM
Suja

Chris Jung wrote:

My biggest concern with having people in my house is that I'm a -ahem-
"casual" housekeeper.

Mine as well. There is always newspaper strewn about, and assorted
computer parts and tools scattered around. Of course, DH starts
disrobing as soon as he enters the house, so there is also a little
obstacle course consisting of shoes, ties, socks, and an odd sweat shirt
or two.
Dave and I putter around absent mindedly and don't realized how junky this
place looks until people visit.

Ditto. I get a little upset when people give me little or no warning
before showing up. But, I have greatly improved in the efficiency with
which I straighten up (read stick clutter where it is out of sight), and
have also loosened my definition for what "neat" is.

but after 4 weeks at Frau Jung's School for Kitten Hooligans, they have been
socialized up the wazoo and are ready to cause major havoc in their new
family's homes.

Yay! Do they have homes waiting for them already?

Suja

Old September 27th 03, 07:00 PM
Kind2dogs

Subject: Home Visit Checklist?
From: Suja
Date: Sat, Sep 27, 2003 1:40 PM

Kind2dogs wrote:

You see now this would be something that would get my antennas up.

As when people do not want to do the home visit ASAP, then I think that

they
are not so serious about adopting a dog from me.

Why?

I should rephrase this.

When Beth asked about HV suggestions, and then her last post said they were
going away until Oct 3? It seemed to me that this was not what was scheduled.

I know that when an appointment is made, and then they make excuses,my antenna
goes up.

This is not to say that they are not valid, but I do not like appointments
cancelled.

Most people don't know what the turnaround time is for different
rescues (it is one week on average for us),

( a month here)

and are often caught
completely off guard when you call 3 days after they submit the
application to arrange for a HC (and then there are people who call
every person they know from the rescue every half hour to see if their
app has been processed). I'd much rather the potential adopters wait
until they're back from vacation to meet the volunteer and talk about
available dogs at that time.

Suja

I would too, however I do not home visits untll AFTER they have come here and I
have done my interview.

It seemed to me that Beth was asking about a home visit that was going to be
done right away.

Paulette~

"The only thing about resisting temptation
is you might not get another chance"

Old September 27th 03, 07:00 PM
Kind2dogs

Old September 27th 03, 07:00 PM