Arthritis in my lab

Old February 29th 04, 03:23 PM
Bob

Default Arthritis in my lab

How much buffered aspirin can be given to a 70 lbs, 12 year old lab?

The vet just Rx'd Deramaxx, can this be safely suplemented with aspirin?

Thanks.

Old February 29th 04, 03:53 PM
buglady

"Bob" wrote in message
How much buffered aspirin can be given to a 70 lbs, 12 year old lab?

.......Have you been giving aspirin for a while or nothing for the arthritis?
Better to ask your vet this question as we don't know what shape your
oldster is in.

The vet just Rx'd Deramaxx, can this be safely suplemented with aspirin?

..........I doubt it as they're both NSAIDs and hard on the stomach. DO NOT
give them both to your dog without discussing with your vet. You shouldn't
need aspirin if the Deramaxx is working. Did your vet run any blood samples
for liver/kidney function before suggesting Deramaxx?

........Personally I'd look into supplementing with glucosamine/chondroitin
and fish oils (essential fatty acids) first perhaps with aspirin for bad
days.

Good luck you you and your precious oldster
buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old February 29th 04, 04:26 PM
Pat

I was once told by a vet it is dangerous to give a dog aspirin.
It can cause internal bleeding in a dog .
Before anyone says it also can in people...I do know that.
However it happens so much easier in dogs.
Please ask someone who knows...I would not give it to mine.
Pat.

Old March 1st 04, 05:28 AM
WalterNY

Bob you might want to sonsider ginving your pet something that will
help solve the problem and not mask it. SYNFLEX has tremendous succes
in treating dogs with such a condition. I strongly suggest you look
into this and get your dog off the drugs that mask the problem but
actually don't do anything to treat it.
Old March 2nd 04, 02:53 AM
Spot

Supplements are not the only answer for a dog with arthritis. Both my dogs
take supplements and yes they do work I attribute the supplements to keep
Barney off medication for almost 2 years but it gets to a point that they
only work to a point and then pain relief is needed along with the
supplements. Once the joints get to bone rubbing bone it's time for surgery
and usually some type of pain medication.

Pain medications don't just mask the pain they make life livable. I've had
arthritis since I was in my late teens so I know how it hurts I would never
put my dog through that knowing that I can help him with the pain.

Celeste

om...

Old March 2nd 04, 02:07 PM
WalterNY

Supplements are not the only answer for a dog with arthritis. Both my dogs
take supplements and yes they do work I attribute the supplements to keep
Barney off medication for almost 2 years but it gets to a point that they
only work to a point and then pain relief is needed along with the
supplements.

That is true in your case. The key is that it's about the individual
not the species.

Once the joints get to bone rubbing bone it's time for surgery
and usually some type of pain medication.

Unless you can work proactively to fix teh problem. Drugs do not fix
anything but offer a bandaid solution.

Pain medications don't just mask the pain they make life livable.

Another way of saying they mask the pain.

I've had
arthritis since I was in my late teens so I know how it hurts I would never
put my dog through that knowing that I can help him with the pain.

I wonder if you knew that you too could actually reverse your
problem?
Old March 4th 04, 05:46 AM
Spot

Walter,

There is a little thing called genetics. We all have them and sooner or
later they catch up with you. As for the reversing the disease there is no
reversal on something that is inherited in your gene pool. I was diagnosed
at the age of 12 and told I probably wouldn't be walking by the time I was
23.

All you can do live with it and treat it the best you can. I am happy to
say that even though I've been in a major head on crash and had my left hip
pretty much shattered and it is now held together by wire & pins that even
with the arthritis that I get around really well. I even amaze my
orthopedic because he never thought I'd make it past 5 years without needing
a hip replacement due to the damage. I was fortunate when I had the car
accident and had the nerves destroyed and they have never fully healed or I
probably wouldn't be walking now at all. I still have pain but not as
severe as before the accident and I choose not to take any pain medications
due to the fact that I have a kidney transplant and don't want to jeopardize
it by taking any more drugs than necessary. But in my dogs case I can do
something for him. I have the ability and the means to afford to give him
the pain medication he needs so he doesn't have to live in pain.

Not everything in life is curable. If there was a cure for arthritis
millions of Americans wouldn't have to suffer every year.

Old March 5th 04, 01:17 AM
WalterNY

There is a little thing called genetics. We all have them and sooner or
later they catch up with you. As for the reversing the disease there is no
reversal on something that is inherited in your gene pool. I was diagnosed
at the age of 12 and told I probably wouldn't be walking by the time I was
23.

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have reversed conditions of
bursitis in dogs, healed torn ACL's with both nutritional and magnetic
therapy, and reversed arthritis in dogs to the point of them not being
observable in a dogs walk through nutritional changes and supplements.
Yes there is genetics, but genetics does not cause arthritis. And in
fact arthritis like other diseases isn't always something your stuck
with once you have it. Problem isn't arthritis but people that end up
being slaves to the system.
Old March 5th 04, 04:38 AM
WalterNY

If there was a cure for arthritis
millions of Americans wouldn't have to suffer every year.

Article provided by
The Arthritis Trust of America
Sources are given in references.

Authors of contributions\quotations are alphabetically arranged; major
author, if any, is underlined.

Konrad Adenauer, Ernst B. Almquist, Dr. K. Asai, Bernard Baruch, Broda
Barnes, M.D., Antoine Bechamp, Napoleon Bonaparte, Robert Bradford,
D.Sc., Wilhelm von Brehmer, Luke Bucci, Ph.D., James A. Carlson,D.O.,
Robert F. Cathcart, III, M.D., Sir Winston Churchill, Arabinda Das,
Charles DeGaulle, M.D., Gerald J. Domingue, William Campbell Douglass,
M.D., Dr. Guenther Enderlein, Dwight D. Eisenhower, William Faber,
D.O., Charls H. Farr, M.D., Thomas Gervais, F.E. Haag, C.A. Hackethal,
M.D., Dr. Samuel Hahneman, Ferdinand Huenke, M.D., Walter Huenke,
M.D., Corazon Ilarina, M.D., William Kaufman, Ph.D., M.D., Joseph
Kennedy, Dr. Kent, Koch, G. Koraen, Wolfram Kuhnau, M.D., Virginia
Lvingston-Wheeler, M.D., A. Maffucci, Lida Mattman, Ph.D., Gaston
Naessen, Rex E. Newnham, Ph.D., D.O., N.D., Prof. Paul Niehans, P.G.
Olsson, Tonis Pai, M.D., Louis Pasteur, LinusPauling, Ph.D., Raymond
F. Peat, Ph.D., Gus J. Prosch, Jr., Dr. Paul K. Pybus, Royal Rife,
John D. Rockerfeller, Ida P.Rolf, Ph.D., E.J. Roukavischnikoff,
William Saccoman, M.D., Jorgan U. Schlegel, Alexander von Seld, M.D.,
Dr. Med. Gerhard Shettler, Haile Selassi, William Sodeman, Gerda
Troili-Petersson, Dr. Vodder, M.D., Morton Walker, D.P.M., Julian
Whitaker, M.D., Duke and Duchess of Windsor, Willibald Winkler, M.D.,
Lester Winters, Ph.D., Hannah B. Woody, Roger Wyburn-Mason, Ph.D.,
M.D., W. Zopf/Responsible editor/writer Anthony di Fabio.

Introduction

Arthritis is incurable, you've been told!

Not so!

The vast majority of folks can and will get well if they will begin an
active search for treatments that work. There are many treatments that
have been effective for tens of thousands.

If you have an interest in Arthritis, the chances are that you've been
told that you have some form of Arthritis! Perhaps a doctor has heard
your complaint, compared your symptoms against those that he knows,
and then has named your "disease" with some sort of jaw-breaker Latin.

The problem with labels -- as you and I know -- is that even if the
one they've attached to your condition is the correct jaw-breaker,
knowing the disease's name does nothing by itself to relieve the pain
or cure the condition. There is often a false presumption that knowing
the name for a disease condition, or state of pain, leads to a correct
remedy.

While it is sometimes true that naming a set of symptoms leads
directly to an answer, such as in the use of antibiotics for
sicknesses caused by known micro-organisms, generally, and especially
for debilitating diseases such as Arthritis, knowing the label is
futile and can be misleading. Too often knowing the sophisticated jaw
breaker medical term next leads to "Oh, that disease is not curable!"

Knowing the name of a disease state, and not knowing what to do about
it to recover wellness, is frustration.

Two examples can be cited to demonstrate the limited usefulness and
possible futility of classifying disease states when causation is
unknown.

Prior to the discovery of the tubercle bacillus there were about 100
different names given to 100 different presumed disease conditions.
After the discovery of the tubercle bacillus, all of these 100 names
collapsed into "tuberculosis of the bone," "of the skin," "of the
lung," "of the spine," etc. In other words, the causation was the
same, whereas the portion of the body affected, and showing symptoms,
was different from person to person1.

Medical history provides a second striking example in the nature of
the symptoms of syphilis. If the syphilis spirocheate had not been
discovered, the symptoms of syphilis would have fit a perfect example
of proof of a defective immunological system -- exactly the situation
that describes the predominant medical view of the causation of
Rheumatoid Arthritis1.

There are two acceptable explanations (or hypotheses) for describing
the causation of Rheumatoid Arthritis. The predominant one is that
something is akilter in the afflicted's immunological system. Why this
possibility should lead to accepted drugs and treatments that further
damage the immunological system appears to be an irrational medical
act. Whereas, the other acceptable explanation -- that some unknown
organism resides inside the afflicted's tissues, and the individual,
being genetically susceptible to either the organism or its toxins,
reacts with an internal "allergic" reaction manifesting itself in the
form of nearly 100 different named diseases -- does not lead to
damaging drugs, and even points to successful therapies.

The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation takes the latter view, and now
classifies the nearly 100 different disease states under the one
heading of "Rheumatoid Diseases," or "Collagen Tissue Diseases."

Without a great deal of scientific and medical study it is futile to
require a determination of which of the above two explanations is most
probable. Probably both ideas have some truth, and, in fact, possibly
many other factors are also related to a painful "arthritic"
condition.

The human body, as with other mammals, operates by means of thousands,
if not millions, of homeostatic systems. These are self-regulating
mechanisms that operate to restore, within certain tolerances, a prior
condition. A Bell Laboratories speaker carried about a small black-box
illustrating this principle. To open the box, one flipped an external
toggle switch attached to the box. When the box was opened by human
hand, a simulated human hand normally lying at rest inside the box
activated, and before closing, the simulated human hand reached out of
the box and flicked the external toggle switch causing the box to
close again whence the human hand recessed back into the box to rest
again, just before the lid closed on it.

In like manner, whenever we affect a biological system, something
natural to our organic mechanisms causes our automatic processes to
restore to their initial or "home" status.

Some scientists and physicians view the disease or pain state as a
mal-adaption condition, where our bodies, to function at all, must
sustain an unnatural state which includes the pain that we
subjectively sense. A crude example, using the black box with the
internal hand that restores homeostasis: suppose at the time the
external toggle switch is triggered to open the box by a human hand, a
stick is placed between the lid and the box. Then, the box's simulated
human hand would reach out to trigger the external switch but could
not reach it because the stick now interferes with completion of the
action, and so the simulated human hand would in futility continue
again and again trying to trigger the external switch. In the human
body, the equivalent of trying to reach the toggle switch again and
again, and failing, might be the human body's constant manufacture of
a chemical designed to restore a prior condition which, because of our
diet, or drugs, or environmental condition or some other unknown
factors, prevents the chemicals from completing their function. The
result, therefore, is a persistent attempt that fails, and possible
pain.

We see this condition in Rheumatoid Diseases, where macrophages
persistently attempt to kill organisms, and in so doing, also damage
collagen tissue, which, in turn, creates secondary and tertiary damage
to tissues and joints. However, it's overly simplistic to reason that
the "cause" of the disease is the macrophage, implying that the
afflicted have an improper immunological system. This over-simplistic
explanation leads to ways and means to further damage the macrophages
at the expense of the whole immunological system, and consequently the
whole human body. This additional damage then creates more of the
equivalent of probing hands failing in attempts to turn off more
toggle switches, thereby creating more mal-adaptations.

It is rare, in the annals of medicine, that a single cause of a
disease state can be known, and, if known, can be treated as distinct
from all other physiological relationships.

It is more usual, especially with Arthritides (Arthritides: a
collective term applied to various joint disorders.) that
multiple-causations are suspect, and that multiple treatments be
simultaneously used to restore a better quality of life.

More than likely you're reading this book because you've tried
established medical procedures, and failed to relieve your problem.

You also hope that our suggestions will bear fruit, and are worthy of
the expense often required to get well.

The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation has since 1982 generously helped
folks to get well by finding for them knowledgeable physicians and
recommending appropriate treatments. Success rate has been high for
those afflicted who are willing to begin the grand search of "learning
what works for me."

Early statistics kept by our referral physicians demonstrated that 80%
of those who followed our recommendations got well from crippling
Rheumatoid Diseases, providing they hadn't already been treated by
traditional means of long-term corticosteroids, gold shots,
penicillamine or methotrexate. If they have been so abused by these
damaging treatments, affecting the ability of their biology to
respond, our treatment recommendation's percentage of successes
dropped to 50%, which is still considerably greater than the
"improvement" rate of about 33% obtained through the traditional
treatments.

Incidentally, that 33% "improvement" rate claimed by established
treatments is just about equal to the placebo effect. That is, about
33% of the afflicted will "improve," from time to time, no matter
what, within limits, is done to them1,11.

There are many kinds of Arthritides determined by observation of
symptoms, each named uniquely. The three most prominent are
Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Gouty Arthritis. There are
also many pains and other symptoms that resemble, or mimic, some of
the above. In the process of untangling one thing from another, and
taking over the responsibility for your own wellness, you'll learn, or
must learn, to fix what's wrong with you

Painful "Arthritis"

Pain and joint dysfunction may derive from certain not-well-known
physiological mal-adaptations, or may result as a matter of processes
that mimic these mal-adaptations.

There are many kinds of arthritides. The most common are three:
Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Gouty Arthritis. The
causation of those that may mimic any of these, or combinations of
these, may derive from allergies, effects of pollutants, chemical
imbalances, Candidiasis and other micro-organisms, mercury and other
metal toxicities, physical sports accidents and so on.

Tens of millions of Americans suffer from either Osteo Arthritis or
Gouty Arthritis, while at least thirteen million Americans suffer from
improperly classified "incurable" Rheumatoid Disease, a name given to
a broad cluster of diseases, perhaps 100 in number, that, while
appearing to be different diseases because they are described by
different word-labels, are nonetheless all related by the fact that
collagen tissue is somehow affected.

An estimated forty million people have Osteoarthritis, six million
have Rheumatoid Arthritis and about one million Americans have Gouty
Arthritis1,2,3,4,5.

Most people know "arthritis" as a joint disease: painful, swollen or
heated joints. Most treatments, therefore, are aimed at relieving pain
at the joints without in any way attending to the "systemic" nature of
the diseases. "Systemic" means that the disease is pervasive,
throughout the whole body.

It has been stated by some practicing physicians that at least 50% of
us will have Osteoarthritis (Osteo) if we live long enough, and
therefore Osteoarthritis is often -- probably wrongly -- said to be a
"degenerative" or "aging" disease. It is characterized by swelling
that is bony with irregular spurs and occasional soft cysts, whereas
Rheumatoid Arthritis is characterized by synovial, capsular soft
tissue that is bony only in late stages3.

Tenderness is normal for Rheumatoid Arthritis, but is usually absent
with Osteoarthritis, except during occasional acute flare-ups and
particularly at the onset. The distal interphalangeal joint (closest
to the nails) is usually not involved with Rheumatoid Arthritis
(except thumb) but quite characteristic with Osteo. The proximal
inter-phalangeal joint (middle) is usually involved with Rheumatoid
Arthritis, and is frequently involved with Osteo. The
metacarpophalangeal joint (knuckle) is usually involved with
Rheumatoid Arthritis, but never with Osteo, except for the thumb.
Wrist involvement is normal for Rheumatoid Arthritis but never
involved with Osteo, except for the base of the thumb3.

Osteoarthritis is characterized by degenerative loss of joint
cartilage, deadening of bone beneath the cartilage, and cartilage and
bone proliferation at the joint margins with subsequent bony
outgrowths. Impaired joint function and synovial inflammation is
common3.

Osteoarthritis is said to be "inflammation of the bones and joints"
according to a medical dictionary.

While Osteo is painful, and leads to progressively less usage of
joints, it is not the great crippler that characterizes Rheumatoid
Arthritis. Rheumatoid Arthritis usually is known by a cluster of
easily observed symptoms distinguishing it from Osteo: Joints are
swollen, heated, and an increasing number of them become affected over
time. Night sweats, depression and lethargy accompany this disease1.

Gouty Arthritis, on the other hand, is characterized by sharp painful
joints, as if a needle were probing the internal structure of the
joints. One can have attacks of fever, chills and, of course, the
described excruciating needle-like pains. Gout victims will suffer for
weeks at a time often with loss of mobility; and, as these attacks
become more frequent, they will eventually be disabling. Kidney
disease, heart disease, and many other complications can set in5.

Osteoarthritis

What Causes Osteoarthritis?

Osteoarthritis appears to be caused by a combination of factors.
Hormonal deficiencies certainly play their part, as one-third more
women suffer from Osteoarthritis after menopause than do men. Faulty
nutrition and stress may also play their fair share, as probably do
genetic predisposing factors1,2,3,4.

Prevailing general medical theory suggests that Osteoarthritis may be
divided into two categories, primary and secondary17. "In primary
osteoarthritis, the degenerative `wear-and-tear' process occurs after
the fifth and sixth decades, with no apparent predisposing
abnormalities. The cumulative effects of decades of use leads to the
degenerative changes by stressing the collagen matrix of the
cartilage. Damage to the cartilage results in the release of enzymes
that destroy collagen components. With aging, the ability to restore
and synthesize normal collagen structures is decreased.

"Secondary osteoarthritis is associated with some predisposing factor
which is responsible for the degenerative changes. Predisposing
factors in secondary osteoarthritis include: congenital abnormalities
in joint structure or function (e.g., hypermobility and abnormally
shaped joint surfaces); trauma (obesity, fractures along joint
surfaces, surgery, etc.); crystal deposition; presence of abnormal
cartilage; and previous inflammatory disease of joint (rheumatoid
arthritis, gout, septic arthritis, etc.)3,4"

Prevention Of Osteoarthritis

There are, apparently, three major aspects to the prevention of
Osteoarthritis: restore proper nutrition, relieve stress and replace
hormones3,4.

Nutrition must be designed to fit each individual, of course, but
there are always good broad outlines that are safe and helpful for
each of us. According to Gus J. Prosch, Jr. M.D.95, in principle the
closer we can eat to the "caveman diet" the better the nutritional
values received. Our human bodies evolved through a varying diet of
grains, nuts, berries, fish, meats and other food substances. The
"caveman diet" is generally described by recommendations of fresh
fruits and vegetables, whole grains, nuts, cold water fish and other
sources of essential fatty acids.

One mineral apparently of great importance to the prevention of
Osteoarthritis is boron. Dr. Rex E. Newnham, Ph.D., D.O., N.D. of
Leeds, England demonstrated demographic and clinical evidence for the
usefulness of Boron in preventing and treating Osteoarthritis and some
forms of Rheumatoid Disease3,4. Fluoridated water, besides
contributing to Osteoporosis, and other degenerative diseases,
including Skeletal Fluorosis, which many doctors call "Arthritis,"
without in any way helping the teeth or bones, also is a natural
antagonist to boron, and so Dr. Newnham recommends removing the
Fluoride from your water if you are to get benefit from Boron.
Furthermore, if you make tea with fluoridated water, there is much
more fluoride in your tea than the cold water alone. For Arthritis,
Rheumatism and Osteoporosis, he recommends the use of tablets
containing Boron (Sodium Tetraborate) 2.6 mg, Calcium Ascorbate 200
mg, Magnesium Ascorbate 90 mg, Pyridoxine 2.6 mg, Zinc (as Citrate)
4.5 mg, Manganese (as Citrate) 4.5 mg, Copper (as Citrate) .46 mg,
Nicotinamide 10 mg, Herbs 10 mg. Such a mixture he has patented under
the name of Osteo TraceTM. Dr. Newnham recommends 3 tablets a day, one
with each meal, if under 168 pounds, 4 tablets a day if over 168
pounds but under 210 pounds , and 5 tablets a day if over 210 pounds.
Children between 50 and 100 pounds weight, 2 tablets per day, and
infants under 20 pounds only half a tablet per day110.

William Kaufman, Ph.D., M.D.89,90,91 demonstrated over many years of
clinical practice the reversal of Osteoarthritis and some Rheumatoid
Disease dysfunction by use of Niacinamide together with other vitamins
and minerals.

Dietary supplements often used a Niacinamide89,90,91 (under close
medical supervision), Methionine, Glycosaminoglycans, Superoxide
Dismutase, Vitamins A, E, Pyridoxine, Pantothenic Acid and minerals
Zinc and Copper18.

Linus Pauling Ph.D.64 and Robert F. Cathcart, III M.D.2 both recommend
large quantities of Vitamin C, either orally or as an injectable.

Many of the above supplements are anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatories,
synergistic with other substances, hormonal replacements or blockages,
or intended to encourage the maintenance of, or faster re-growth of,
connective tissue.

Various herbs60 have been historically useful for the same purposes,
especially in treating inflammation without the serious side-affects
attributed to aspirin and other Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatories
(NSAIDS). These are Glycyrrhiza glabra, Medicago sativa, Harpagophytum
procumbens, and the Proanthocyanidins, Cherries, Hawthorn Berries and
Blueberries17,19.

Stress69 is a factor that is perhaps most often overlooked by the
normal medical practitioner. Often there is one or more persons in the
close work or home environment who are suppressive to another, such
suppression expressing itself in a way that constantly invalidates a
person's actions, thoughts or emotions. It is a negative stimulus that
depresses our beingness, our will to want to engage in friendly
exchange of ideas or activities. A person who is so related to another
will often suppress his/her emotions and behavior in ways that express
outwardly in the form of hormonal changes and accompanying clinical
sicknesses. The medical terminology is "psychosomatic," indicating
that the person's mind governs his emotions and bodily condition. This
is true to the extent that a person permits suppressive conditions and
"suppressive" people to influence his/her mind/body. As few physicians
have training in recognizing the causative patterns, and would
probably be resisted by their patients if they mentioned them, stress
sources are often ignored in treatment, although they may be the
largest component of all diseases, acute or chronic2,12.

Hormonal replacement therapy is practiced by many physicians who
recognize that our organs decrease in ability to perform as we age.
Their goal is to achieve a natural balance of all hormonal factors,
which is presumed to be an assist to restoration of health that was
once ours.The fact that Osteoarthritis is most frequent among women
after menopause is a critical clue, as both estrogen and progesterone
may be decreased or unbalanced with aging and especially after
menopause. According to Raymond F. Peat, Ph.D., "Stress-induced
cortisone deficiency is thought to be a factor in a great variety of
unpleasant conditions, from allergies to ulcerative colitis, and in
some forms of arthritis. The stress which can cause a cortisone
deficiency is even more likely to disturb formation of progesterone
and thyroid hormone, so the fact that cortisone can relieve symptoms
does not mean that it has corrected the problem.

"Besides the thyroid, the other class of adaptive hormones which are
often out of balance in the diseases of stress, is the group of
hormones produced mainly by the gonads: the `reproductive
hormones'.73" There is often need to consider hormonal replacement,
not just in serious cases of thyroid deficiency, but also in marginal
cases. A physician who understands the relationship between stress,
hormones and disease should be consulted, and, in the case of
determining Thyroid deficiency borderline cases, many will recommend
the method of Broda Barnes, M.D.6,33 who developed a method based on
taking armpit temperature before arising every morning, as laboratory
testing is not geared to discover marginal deficiencies6.

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) may also be an important and relevant
replacement hormone, as described in the Rheumatoid Disease section
that follows96.

Dietary Summary by Luke Bucci, Ph.D.

In 1986, The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation held its second medical
seminar. On the program was Luke Bucci, Ph.D., speaking on "Co-Enzyme
Q10: Review of Clinical Uses with Emphasis on the Immune System."

Dr. Bucci is employed by Biotics Research Corporation of Houston,
Texas, a company that is much involved with nutrition and nutritional
supplements.

During our 1986 medical seminar, Luke Bucci attended the other
presentations, and later he summarized what he'd learned in a paper
titled "Comprehensive Nutritional Support for Osteoarthritis". This
article was later published in Chiropractic Products, August 1988, p.
61-63.

With permission of both the publisher and of Dr. Bucci, I have
borrowed liberally from his article as follows:

Luke Bucci says: "Years ago (1961), it was recognized that nutrition
of cartilage tissue was a major factor in the progression of
Osteoarthritis, as this quote from page 1043 of the medical textbook
Pathologic Physiology. Mechanisms of Disease by William Sodeman
illustrates."

Degenerative changes appear first in that part of the articular
cartilage which receives the greatest wear and has the poorest
nutrition.

Many Osteoarthritis patients are elderly and inactive, meaning that
most Osteoarthritis sufferers also have cardiovascular problems.
Again, this factor contributes to feeding of articular (joint)
cartilage, as noted in another quote from Pathologic Physiology (p.
1044):

In extensive arterial and venous disease of vessels to the extremities
the synovial vessels may further embarrass the nutrition of articular
cartilage and aid in the cartilage degeneration.

Through histology, pathologists were able to directly visualize the
link between blood supply, nutritional status of cartilage cells
(chondrocytes) and Osteoarthritis. Feed The Chondrocytes! is the
message given by these observations. How does one go about feeding
chondrocytes? Fortunately, the state of research on chondrocyte needs
is sufficiently advanced to be able to list specific nutrients which
play very important roles in chondrocyte function.

Dietary Guidelines For Osteoarthritis

Most Osteoarthritis patients consistently show deficiencies of
vitamins A, C, D and E along with insufficient intakes of calcium,
iron, copper, zinc and selenium. Some of these deficiencies may be
caused or exacerbated by the pain-killing medications commonly used by
these patients. Aspirin use can lead to gastro-intestinal bleeding,
resulting in 'anemia of arthritis.' This condition would worsen
deficiencies of iron, copper and vitamin C. Non-steroidal
antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) make the gut more permeable, which at
first glance sounds desirable. However, at least a third of arthritis
sufferers are achlorhydric (very low in stomach acid), with more being
hypochlorhydric (low in stomach acid), meaning mineral absorption is
compromised and protein digestion is suboptimal. Poor protein
digestion and increased gut permeability means absorption of large
molecular weight pieces of proteins, leading to collagen diseases,
autoimmune diseases, arteriosclerosis, rheumatoid diseases and
neurological changes. Sound familiar? Forty percent of arthritis
patients have mixed degenerative [Osteoarthritis: Ed] and Rheumatoid
Arthritis types.

Returning stomach acidity to normal levels greatly improves protein
digestion. Dietary supplementation can quite easily increase stomach
acidity to normal levels. The only contraindication is an active
gastric or peptic ulcer. There are many products designed to aid
gastric acidity, so consult your favorite supplement manufacturer to
find out which product is designed to increase stomach acidity.
Usually, one or two tablets taken immediately after meals will be
recommended.

Other general dietary guidelines include decreasing sugar and refined
foods, and removing fried foods, margarine and preserved meats. Adding
more whole grain products, fresh vegetables and fruits is recommended.
Replacement of most red meats with fish, poultry and wild game has the
advantage of reducing consumption of proinflammatory fats and
increasing intake of antiinflammatory fats." [Rex Newnham, Ph.D.,
D.O., N.D. of England says that "If hormones are used in the growing
of poultry in the U.S.A., it should not be recommended to anybody.
These hormones, at least in Australia and New Zealand do inhibit the
menstrual cycle in women and sometimes men develop swollen breasts,
[and] interfere with the normal hormone balance and can upset calcium
retention." Apparently all U.S. citizens may need to swear off from
all U.S. red meat products! Ed.]

If difficulty in procuring or preparing fish is encountered, fish oil
supplements are available. Oils and supplements containing significant
amounts of linolenic acids (GLA and ALA) are also available to fortify
a return to dietary intake of polyunsaturated antiinflammatory fats.
The following lists the dietary guidelines that are currently being
recommended to Osteoarthritis patients by medical doctors well-versed
in nutrition:

Dietary Guidelines of Osteoarthritis

1. Improve gastric acidity.

2. Remove refined sugars, corn syrups, fried foods, margarine,
preserved meats.

3. Decrease refined foods, replace with whole grains, fresh vegetables
and fruit.

4. Replace most red meats with fish, lean poultry (hormone free, if
possible) or wild game.

5. Keep total fat intake below 30% of total calories.

6. Reduce consumption of white potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers,
eggplant, chili peppers (solanine-containing plants) if Rheumatoid
Arthritis symptoms also apparent." [about 1/3 to 1/2 are sensitive to
chemicals in these products. Also tobacco carries toxic substances
into the blood and tissues, damaging to muscle and nerve metabolism:
Ed.]

Specific Supplements: Vitamins

Since dietary deficiencies of vitamins and minerals have been found
for Osteoarthrits patients, a multiple vitamin/mineral product should
prevent gross deficiencies from occurring. High doses of B vitamins
(over 500% of RDA) have not been useful for Osteoarthritis, according
to several studies; therefore, modest doses of B vitamins are
sufficient for supplemental purposes (1-10mg B1, B2, B6; 20-50mg for
B3 and B5; 6-25mcg for B12).

Vitamins A, D and E are oil-soluble, meaning the most efficient forms
of supplementation are emulsified forms1. For vitamins A and D,
supplemental amounts of 100-200% of RDA are sufficient. Higher doses
seem to be unnecessary and may possibly lead to toxicities if very
large amounts are ingested for very long times. As an antioxidant,
vitamin E is important, and larger amounts may be supplemented
(400-1200 IU daily if nonemulsified; 90 IU or more if emulsified1).

Vitamin C (ascorbate) plays a major role in cartilage metabolism.
Osteoarthritis is worsened by deficiencies of vitamin C, which is
commonly seen in these people. Vitamin C is a growth factor for
chondrocytes, having an anabolic effect. One to two grams daily
(preferably buffered) is sufficient to raise blood levels of vitamin
C. Bioflavonoids taken together with vitamin C help to preserve the
vitamin C and add their own antioxidant characteristics. Citrus
bioflavonoids are commonly used, usually in amounts 1/10 to 1/2 the
amount of supplemental vitamin C.

Minerals

Since several minerals are of vital importance to cartilage metabolism
and are also deficient in Osteoarthritis patients, special attention
should be paid to mineral intakes. Of primary concern are calcium,
magnesium, zinc, iron, copper, manganese and selenium. Daily
supplemental amounts of these minerals should reach 100% of RDA or
ESADDI amounts, as seen below:

Specific Dietary Supplements for Osteoarthritis (Daily Amounts)

Vitamins:

B vitamins - 100-500% of RDA

A - 5,000-10,000 IU

D - 400-800 IU

E - 30-1,200 IU1

C - 1-2 grams (Many physicians recommend 5 to 6 grams daily).

Minerals:

Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Selenium all 100% RDA
Manganese - 5-50mg. [Dr. Newnham also recommends 8-10mg of Boron and
Cobalt in Vitamin B12:Ed.]

Oils:

Fish oils - 3-9 capsules

GLA oils - 3-6 capsules

Enzymes:

Proteolytic enzymes - 2-8 tablets 3 times daily

Antioxidant enzymes - 2-6 tablets 3 times daily

Plant Compounds:

Yucca saponins

Gamma oryzanol/FRAC(Ferulic Acid)

Bioflavonoids - 10-1,000mg

Chondroitin Sulfates:

(Purified) - 1-2 grams

Antioxidants:

Beta carotene - 5,000-25,000 IU

Vitamin C (ascorbate) - 1-2 grams (Many physicians recommend 5-6 grams
daily).

Bioflavonoids - 10-1,000mg

Vitamin E (tocopherol) - 30-1,200 IU

Coenzyme Q10 - 1-100mg

Selenium - 25-200mcg

Sulfur Amino Acids (cysteine, methionine, taurine)

SOD, Catalases/Peroxidases

Plant phenolic acids and derivatives

Usually, a calcium and magnesium supplement (but not carbonate or
phosphate forms) is required to reach RDA levels for these minerals,
unless a very high calorie diet is eaten. Soluble, organic forms of
minerals are always preferred.

Cartilage needs sulfur to regenerate properly. Both inorganic and
organic forms of sulfur can be utilized, but organic forms (such as
the amino acids cysteine, taurine and methionine) are closer to the
final product - glycosaminoglycans (GAGs). GAGs, especially
chondroitin sulfates, are made up of sulfated sugars. Up to several
grams per day of each sulfur amino acid may be supplemented for long
periods of time.

Enzymes

Proteolytic enzymes can offer short-term relief of symptoms in a
majority of patients, but continued proper usage is difficult. The
antioxidant enzymes superoxide dismutase (SOD) and catalase will be
considered separately.

Other Dietary Supplements

Another supplement with some reported benefits is yucca plant
saponins. Several other dietary aids such as glandulars, garlic, aloe
vera and alfalfa have some anecdotal support but need to be studied
further.

Last But NOT Least

At this point I would like to draw attention to two relatively
overlooked nutrients with important ramifications for Osteoarthritis.
These two are antioxidants and chondroitin sulfates.

Antioxidants

Free radicals are known to be the major reason cartilage is destroyed
in Osteoarthritis. Lack of oxygen from poor circulation increases free
radical damage. Whenever an antioxidant reaches moderate to high
levels in the body, reductions in cartilage degeneration and
improvements in healing have been seen. Vitamin C2, vitamin E1,
bioflavonoids, selenium and the sulfur amino acids are all major
antioxidants that have already been discussed. The other major
antioxidants in our bodies are beta carotene (carotenoids), coenzyme
Q10, SOD, catalase, dietary phenolic acids and their derivatives.
These antioxidants are available in supplement form; Dietary phenolic
acids and their derivatives (one example is curcumin) are found in
plants and frequently account for medicinal properties seen for herbs.
Recently, one of these compounds, gamma oryzanol, has been shown to be
a potent antioxidant. Its water-soluble active component, ferulic
acid, is available in supplemental form as FRAC.

Mixtures of antioxidants usually work better than a single
antioxidant. Many such products abound. For use in Osteoarthritis, the
manufacturer's suggested usage should be doubled or tripled.
Fortunately, antioxidants are quite safe, except for massive doses of
selenium.

Chondroitin Sulfates

Finally, chondroitin sulfates are the most important single dietary
supplement for Osteoarthritis. Chondroitin sulfates (CS) are the major
type of GAG (the new name for mucopolysaccharides) found in cartilage.
Chondroitin sulfates are large polymers of sulfated, modified sugars
synthesized by chondrocytes. CS give elastic, weight bearing and
cushioning properties to cartilage.

Calf trachea and green-lipped mussels (Perna canaliculus) have been
two crude sources of Chondroitin sulfates, but their limited
bioavailability means that an effective dose is a handful of powder.
CS has been purified and these supplements are preferred. One to two
grams per day has shown reduction of symptoms and regeneration of
cartilage. Since CS is nontoxic, more may be taken if desired4.

Summary

"The general dietary guidelines shown for specific nutrients should
allow useful concentrations of nutrients to reach chondrocytes. When
chondrocytes are fed, they are more able to perform their function -
repair cartilage. Combined with other treatment modalities to reduce
the wear on cartilage, optimal nutrition allows the chondrocytes to
perform to their capabilities, meaning a net result of healing. The
most important single nutrient for chondrocytes is chondroitin
sulfates. One of the advantages of nutrition is that all cells are
affected, meaning improvements in vascularization are possible when
nutritional status is improved. Thus many factors contributing to
Osteoarthritis can be favorably modified by judicious use in diet and
specific nutrients."

This ends Dr. Luke Bucci's article.

Treatment Of Osteoarthritis

Treatment for Osteoarthritis -- or what appears to be Osteoarthritis
-- can be divided into four components: Treatment for the (1) pain,
(2) defective skeletal structure, (3) faulty nutrition, (4) hormonal
imbalances.

As treatment for faulty nutrition and hormonal imbalances have already
been mentioned, and as they both require individualized attention by
holistically minded physicians, we shall further discuss only
treatment for pain and defective skeletal structure, with the
exception of repeated emphasis on the use of niacinamide as per
William Kaufman's Ph.D.

M.D. early and lengthy research work89,90,91.

Pain and Defective Structure

Professor Roger Wyburn-Mason M.D, Ph.D. more than thirty-five years
ago was able to demonstrate that the source of pain in both
Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Disease is not in the joints - where
most modern-day treatment lies - but in certain key nerve ganglia
leading to the joint. These nerve ganglia are found in uninsulated
nerves usually lying close to the skin's surface, known as "C fibers."

Intra-Neural Injections

Based on Roger Wyburn-Mason's theory, Dr. Paul Pybus7 found that a
combination of Depot Medrol with a very dilute solution of
Triamcinolone Hexacetonide (Lederspanr or Aristospanr) not only
immediately halted the pain appearing in remote joints, but also
permitted the nerve cell lesions to heal, probably by stabilizing
nerve cell membranes.

Pybus stated that these nerve lesions triggered off two signals, one
set following the nerve path to the brain, the other following a
reflex arc to the spinal column and back. The signal to the brain came
back to represent pain at the joint. The reflex signal to the spinal
column came back to the joint to produce the following easily
recognizable phenomena: heated joints (pyrexia), swollen joints
(edema) and tension or clamping of muscles at the joints. It is the
tension or clamping of muscles at the joints which creates
degeneration of cartilage at the joint which results in the pain of
Osteoarthritis (or the pain of Rheumatoid Arthritis), and this was
further explained by Pybus by knowledge of Charnley clamps used on
knee joints which, while producing a forcible compression of joints,
also resulted in destruction of cartilage in the joints.

Destruction of cartilage (leading to pyrexia and edema) is caused
because cartilage, having virtually no blood distribution system of
its own, requires a continuous squeezing and expanding of the
cartilage in the joint, squeezing out blood and sponging it up,
respectively. When one side or both sides of a joint are under
conscious or unconscious tension because of nerve cell lesions
constantly sending a reflex signal to tense or clamp the joint - then
the cartilage begins to degenerate through lack of sufficient
nourishment and this decomposition results in the creation of
additional secondary and tertiary "free radical" chemical reactions
that are further destructive, also producing the symptoms of pyrexia
(heat) and edema (swelling). "Free radicals" are chemicals that seek
active combination with other chemicals.

Gus J. Prosch, Jr., M.D.95 successfully developed the
Wyburn-Mason/Pybus intraneural treatment for arthritics in the United
States, and taught many physicians.

Acupuncture

Most of the traditional acupuncture points are exactly the same as the
trigger or key nerve ganglia used in Intra-neural Injections, and the
physics of explanation is identical for both, as the developer of
Intra-neural Injections, Dr. Paul Pybus, was first an acupuncturist
and surgeon. He said, "Acupuncture . . . shows no great permanency in
the relief afforded just by one treatment, as when the needle is
removed the membrane is still destabilized and the condition reverts
to the status quo ante." This seems to be confirmed by the experience
of Arabinda Das, M.D. who says, "acupuncture may help localized pain
of rheumatoid arthritis but chronic generalized rheumatoid arthritis
is not amenable to acupuncture as [is true with] many chronic
infectious conditions79."

When Pybus combined acupuncture with a substance that stabilized the
nerve cell membrane, he began to see long-term improvement in both
Osteoarthritis and the pain of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Undoubtedly
others who were familiar with Acupuncture discovered this same
phenomenon, as there is now practiced "Pharamaceutical Acupuncture."

In addition to good effects on pain, Acupuncture is said to strengthen
the immune system69.

Electromagnetics and Biomagnetics

In the past practice of medicine chemistry has been applied to the
human body more than the knowledge of physics. Many physicians and
researchers are now exploring physics in relation to the body, and one
important area is the effect of electromagnetics and/or powerful
specially built (i.e. ceramic) magnetics primarily for the relief of
pain53,112."

As the use of magnets, and their accompanying magnetic fields,
interfere with the natural magnetic field of the cells and the body,
one must be very careful not to use these magnetics indiscriminately.

There is often confusion between the use of electromagnetics and
magnetics, and there are reports of serious damage having been done to
individuals who have used magnetics of powerful force, thus having
interfered with the body's natural fields. Thus, ELF
Laboratories113,114,115,116, and others caution against the use of
magnetics, but do recommend the use of pulsating electromagnetic
fields under certain very carefully controlled conditions. One such
condition is the combination use of the Light Beam Generator with the
Vodder Lymphatics Massage technique assisted by a flow of harmless
electrons, that has beneficial effects on the body's cells.

This is described in a later section.

Niacinamide and Boron

The excellent work of Dr. Rex Newnham, Ph.D., D.O., N.D. has already
been mentioned with regard to Boron. Through demographic analysis, and
later clinical trials, he was able to demonstrate that both
Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Disease can be stemmed through
appropriate quantities of Boron23.

Also of special importance is the excellent work of William Kaufman,
M.D., Ph.D. in the use of Niacinamide for both Osteoarthritis and
Rheumatoid Arthritis. Dr. Kaufman, through clinical observation,
determined that Aniacinamidosis (lack of sufficient niacinamide) was
persistent with those having joint problems of Osteoarthritis or
Rheumatoid Arthritis. He invented a measuring device easy for other
doctors to use, and thus standardized by an objective measure
improvement, or lack of, in patients.Over many years and with the help
of many patients, including those with aging problems, Dr. Kaufman
developed an oral schedule of niacinamide per day, the Niacinamide
being taken in frequent intervals during the day in, usually, varying
dosages because of the quickness by which niacinamide flushed from the
body89,90,91. Usually the dosage is dependent upon severity of the
joint dysfunction.

Neural And Reconstructive Therapy

Another cause of the pain of Osteoarthritis is defective skeletal
posture resulting in pains remote from the source of defect or
mis-alignment, and also pain from Osteoarthritic calcium spurs usually
located along the spinal column and rubbing on branching nerves from
the spine8. Possibly the first treatment of choice by Osteoarthritics
should be that known by D.O.'s as "Sclerotherapy", by M.D's. as
"Proliferative Therapy", and by some modern-day physicians as
"Reconstructive Therapy".

We know from work by such referral physicians as W.W. Mittelstadt,
M.D./D.O. of Ft. Lauderdale, FL, that Intraneural Injections and
Sclerotherapy (Proliferative) treatment will work on Osteoarthritis.
On a visit to his office, Dr. Mittelstadt introduced me to a patient
who had had Osteoarthritis so badly that she had been unable to move
her fingers easily. She demonstrated to me the flexibility that she
now had.

Dr. Prosch recently said, "If you really think about what we are
trying to do, we will have to come to the conclusion that
Osteoarthritis is not a joint disease! It is a nerve disease -- if we
and our theories are correct. Of course the end result is a joint
disease, but the etiological (causative) factor is the nerves -- and
not the joints - as far as where the disease originates."

James A. Carlson, D.O. of Knoxville, TN recently explained to me that
Sclerotherapy can reduce Heberden nodes in Rheumatoid Arthritis!

Intraneural Injections and proper use of Proliferative Therapy
(Sclerotherapy) also seem to be excellent and perhaps sure answers for
Osteoarthritic problems. But what of the ever-present nutritional
factors?

Strangely enough, and little known by many physicians, scar tissue
from past penetrations of the skin can also cause skeletal
mis-alignment problems, and these are usually treated at the same time
using Neural/FascialTherapy9, a treatment developed by German
physicians, and especially Ferdinand Huenke, M.D. and Walter Huenke,
M.D.16. The knowledgeable patient will find a physician who practices
these two treatment modalities before trying many other forms of
treatment.

More than 30 years ago demonstrations on laboratory animals showed
that loosened, stretched or torn tendons and ligaments could be
tightened up by means of inserting just beneath the skin, in the
proper location, a natural bodily substance (Sodium Morrhuate) which
would promote the growth of collagen tissue and fibroblasts. Other
substances besides Sodium Morrhuate are also used.

As we age, our tendons and ligaments tend to stretch or can be torn
from their connections to fascia through sports or accidents, or can
be weakened through poor nutrition, disease or unbalanced chemistries.
As the body's skeletal posture is held together by means of tendons
and ligaments - not the muscles per se - a stretching of one set of
tendons or ligaments will be unconsciously compensated for by other
pulley and lever mechanisms in remote parts of the body. According to
masseur Thomas Gervais88, "Tendons are muscle ends. Fascia apparently
gives ligaments and bones their proper place/structure. The fascial
connective tissue thickens and becomes most rigid at places of
greatest/most frequent use and demand. This `ossification' process of
fascia makes a return to good posture difficult." One compensatory
mechanism is the production of Osteoarthritic spurs in the spine.
Although the body's problem is lax or torn ligaments or tendons
elsewhere, the body's chemistry attempts to compensate by creating
calcium spurs along the spinal column. Were these calcium spurs cut
out, the body's tendon and/or ligament problems would persist, and the
body would attempt to compensate in additional ways.

To illustrate: James A. Carlson, D.O. was asked to look at a patient's
right index finger-joint nearest to the fingernail (between the Distal
phalanx and the Middle phalanx). The joint had been inflamed for
months and was deforming. After study Dr. Carlson deduced that the
cause was a left-foot heel-bone out of alignment. This may sound
peculiar until one is versed with the manner in which the skeleton is
held together, and the means by which the human body compensates. A
bone awry at one place affects structure remotely connected. Using
Osteopathic manipulation, he placed the heel bone back, and then using
reconstructive therapy, Dr. Carlson placed near the proper tendons and
ligaments substances that promote the body's ability to keep the bone
in place.The finger immediately ceased its pain and deformation
stopped10.

In a similar instance, the finger nearest the small one on the left
hand was unable to touch the palm of the hand. It was very stiff and
often hurt. Dr. Carlson determined that the cause was an arch-bone in
the left foot out of alignment. Again he manipulated the bone to its
proper location and then used reconstructive therapy to place the bone
permanently where it belonged. The pain immediately disappeared and
the patient had restored ability to touch the palm of the hand with
that finger10.

Many other instances -- much more spectacular8,9 -- can be described
for all parts of the body where Osteoarthritis is presumed but in fact
it is the slackness or disruption at the connective base of ligaments
and tendons that slowly create Osteoarthritic-like symptoms8.

According to William Faber, D.O. and Morton Walker, D.P.M., "typical
musculoskeletal lesions that may be permanently corrected a
bunions, heel difficulties, finger dysfunctions, patellar problems,
migraine headache, neck pain, chronic shoulder dislocation, rotator
cuff tears, generalized back weakness, herniated disks, mid-level
backache, low back pain, compression fractures of the vertebrae,
ankylosing spondylitis, spondylolisthesis, fibrositis, fascitis,
tendonitis, pain after severe injury, pain after stroke,
temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome, post-orthopedic surgery pain,
dysfunctional hip joint, chronic and acute knee disability, ankle
weakness, tennis leg, tennis elbow, wrist pain, carpal-tunnel
syndrome, and most forms of arthritis, especially the type derived
from wear and tear (osteoarthritis), and more disabilities.
Reconstructive therapy is often a medical alternative to orthopedic
surgery, hand surgery, podiatric surgery and other traditional
techniques of musculo-skeletal repair8."

According to Gus Prosch, Jr., M.D., Intraneural Injections and
Reconstructive Therapy cannot be performed at the same time, as the
chemistry of the two therapies work in opposition to one another2,8.

Rolfingr

To solve what was diagnosed as Rheumatoid Disease, Ida P. Rolf,
Ph.D.86 developed and applied her "massage" discovery in what is now
called "Rolfing"2. Dr. Rolf may or may not have had Rheumatoid
Disease, but her discovery has wide application to all forms of
arthritides, as well as other structural and pain problems.

According to the Rolf Institute87, founded to carry on Dr. Rolf's
work, "Fascia belongs to a family of closely related connective
tissues found throughout the human body. Although fascia is
technically a tissue, Rolfers sometimes speak of it as the `organ of
form' because it literally holds your body together and gives it
shape." Fascia is found throughout the body and surrounds all organs.
If healthy, it is slightly elastic with strong resistance to
stretching. It can break or tear however.

The nature of fascia is to fasten and hold. According to the Rolf
Institute: "1) Slack strands of fascia can adhere to one another
[adhesions] and shorten a fascial structure, thus distorting the
three-dimensional fascial network and pulling the skeleton (and body
segments) out of alignment. This can occur in response to poor
postural or movement patterns, injury, [chronic emotional patterns] or
surgery. . . ., 2) Adjacent fascial structures can adhere to one
another and bind two structures together. Even in a healthy body, the
fascial envelopes of adjacent muscles may adhere to one another. Two
muscles, which should glide over each other, become yoked together;
neither muscle can function independently and efficiently."

Fascia can adhere to itself and change shape causing the fascial
network to become distorted, but this plasticity, fortunately, can
also work in the other direction, restoring the structural integrity
with the proper Rolfing applications of pressure.

According to Dr. Ida Rolf, ". . . the `joint' is much more than the
bone of the ball-and-socket. All muscles and ligaments that weave or
support its structure are part of it. This is true of any joint.
Trouble in any of the component parts -- muscles, ligaments, bones --
is apt to be interpreted or at least verbalized as being in the joint.
Unnumbered, casual, hasty diagnoses of `arthritis' reflect nothing
more serious than a shortened or displaced muscle or ligament
resulting from a recent or not-so-recent traumatic episode. True
arthritis, on the other hand, is deterioration of the joint,
characterized by chemical change in the blood and in joint tissue.
Arthritic pain is the result of joint compression. Not all cases of
true arthritis are painful; where there is adequate capsular space,
the individual may well be pain-free. When your shoulder or your hip
hurts, it is well to paraphrase an old adage: not only is all that
glitters not gold, but, even more hopeful, all that hurts is not
necessarily arthritis. It may be merely pseudoarthritis, a disorder in
the tendons and ligaments. . . . Appropriate muscular organization can
give the pseudoarthritic movements and render him pain-free."

Rolfing, through restoration of fascial integrity, restores natural
posture which, for the arthritic and pseudo-arthritic alike, means
more freedom of movement and lessened pain, and also improvement of
metabolism, circulation, neural transmission, joint and tissue repair,
emotional stability, and, generally, an overall increase in available
energy that was otherwise bound up in maintaining the poor muscular
imbalances.

Other Treatments

Photopheresis

Photopheresis is a new form of treatment that exposes portions of the
blood mixed with a light-sensitive chemical to ultra-violet radiation.
Its object is to "immunize" the body against malignant T cells found
in the immunological system. It has so far shown promise for the
treatment of various Rheumatoid Diseases (Scleroderma, Lupus
Erythematosus, Rheumatoid Arthritis), autoimmune diabetes mellitus,
organ transplant rejection and AIDS related complex25. William
Campbell Douglass, M.D. of Georgia reports excellent success with many
otherwise intransigent disease conditions, using photopheresis, and
especially against AIDS26.

Cryogenic Exposure and Exercise Treatment

Japanese scientists demonstrated the improved effects of cryogenic
exposure on degenerative disease. Tonis Pai27, M.D. of Tallin,
Estonia, who constructed his own clinic's cryogenic chamber, also
continues this work reporting improvement among patients with various
joint diseases, including Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis.
Patients enter a chamber (cooled cryogenically by liquid nitrogen) for
repeated visits for a duration of 1-3 minutes. They then exercise
strenuously.

Ge132: Bis-Beta-carboxyethyl: Germanium Sesquioxide

Dr. K. Asai of Japan designed Bis-Beta-carboxyethyl Germanium
Sesquioxide (Ge132), finding thereafter many interesting and useful
properties. Ge132 is a substance that does not easily enter into
bodily tissues, and therefore has been found to be non-dangerous. It
performs several valuable functions, among which is the ability to
take up excess electrons from the cell's mitochondria -- the cell's
power unit -- and flush them from the body. This function is analogous
to increasing basal metabolism at the cellular level. Excess electrons
can create free-radicals which may lead to pain and inflammation.
Ge132 also decreases pain by increasing endorphins in the brain. "In
both humans and animals Ge132 has been shown to increase gamma
interferon in the blood, activate macrophages and natural killer
cells, bring blood hemoglobin levels up and white cell counts down,
stimulate immunomodulation activity in the B cell system and
demonstrate antitumor and antiviral activities. This substance,
therefore, may be an excellent adjuvant (aids the operation) of
immunochemotherapeutic agents. The effects of Ge132 on various immune
parameters are almost identical to that of known gamma interferon
immunomodulating activity. In addition, studies on immune-suppressed
animals and on patients with malignancies or rheumatoid arthritis
suggest that Ge132 normalized the function of T cells, B lymphocytes,
anti-body-dependent cellular cytotoxicity, natural killer cell
activity and numbers of antibody-forming cells. Obviously organic
germanium has a `normalizing' influence on the immune system57,58,59,"
and it can be effectively used either sub-lingually or as an
injectable.

Caution: do not take Germanium Oxide, which is poisonous and can be
damaging.

Live-Cell Therapy

According to Lester Winters, Ph.D.93,100 and Robert Bradford,
D.Sc.111, European Live-Cell Therapy has been available for many
years, and used by millions of people. Prof. Paul Niehans, a famous
Swiss physician and Surgeon, is considered the father of cellular
therapy used by kings and queens, popes, presidents, ministers, movie
stars and the wealthy. Pioneer Wolfram Kuhnau, M.D. reported that past
recipients of Live-Cell Therapy included "Konrad Adenauer, Charles
DeGaulle, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Sir Winston Churchill, the Duke and
Duchess of Windsor, Haile Selassi, the monarchs of Moracco and Saudi
Arabia, Bernard Baruch, and Joseph Kennedy110." This replacement
therapy now is available at a reasonable cost outside of the United
States in Europe, Bahamas, Mexico and other countries. Briefly, calf,
sheep or piglet fetal (embryonic) tissue is injected (or placed) in
the body. (Apparently any mammalian tissue will do, so long as it is
from the proper fetal stage, kept sterile, and stored properly,
although bovine or sheep tissues, for various reasons, are preferred
by many.) For a period of one to four years, depending upon nutrition,
metabolism and life-style, these foreign tissues supply hormones and
other vital chemicals which the body uses as its own. Of greater
significance, is the ability of the body to repair damaged molecules
in fading organs, thus restoring vitality and health. Additionally,
according to Dr. med. Gerhard Shettler94, intra-articular cellular
therapy is often effective in replacing damaged or worn joint
cartilage. William Saccoman, M.D. has had considerable success
replacing joint cartilage100. Live-cell therapy is well worth trying
for various health reasons, not just Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid
Diseases. A listing, according to Bradford110, follows: "Neuromuscular
disorders, including epilepsy, multiple sclerosis, amytrophic lateral
sclerosis (ALS), Parkinson's, post-stroke paralysis and muscular
dystrophy; hormone-dependent dysfunctions including a full range of
sexual disorders ranging from impotence and early menopause as well as
obesity, insufficiency and hypothyroidism; chronic dermatological
disorders, especially psoriasis and eczema; chronic arthritis of all
kinds; chronic pancreatitits; arteriosclerosis; liver cirrhosis;
allergies of all kinds; genetic and hereditary disorders, including
mental retardation, Down's syndrome, bone and cartilage abnormalities,
congenital hip malformations, congenital dysplasias, spinal problems,
cleft lip and palate; chronic lung disease; chronic kidney disease;
auto-immune disease; narcoplepsy; and rejuvenation111."

The arthritides afflicted would do well to explore this approach.

Homeopathy

Homeopathy is several centuries old, and was once a widely practiced
healing discipline, until the dominance of allopathic medicine in many
parts of the world. Allopathy, the dominant medical philsophy in the
United States, is that method which seeks to cure disease by the
production of a condition of the system either different from or
opposite to the condition produced by the disease101. Homeopathy is
its opposite, a theory or system of curing diseases with very minute
doses of medicine which in a healthy person and in large doses would
produce a condition like that of the disease treated101. The basic
principle is that symptoms of a "disease" are a natural part of the
healing process. As such, they must be allowed to occur, even
augmented, rather than be suppressed.

According to the Arizona Revised Statutes 32-2901, "Homeopathy means a
system of medicine employing substances of animal, vegetable or
mineral origin which are given in microdosage, prepared according to
homeopathic pharmacology, in accordance with the principle that a
substance which produces symptoms in a healthy person can cure those
symptoms in an ill person. The practice of homeopathy [in Arizona]
includes acupuncture, neuromuscular integration, orthomolecular
therapy, nutrition, chelation therapy, pharmaceutical medicine and
minor surgery66." As some practitioners of Homeopathy do not subscribe
to the total practice as described herein, we will discuss only the
first part of the above definition.

Dr. Samuel Hahneman (one of Napoleon Bonaparte's physicians66,69),
Kent66, and others founded and defined the basic outlines of
Homeopathy. On Napoleon's route to conquer most of Europe, Napoleon
used "Dr. Hahneman to keep his troops free of typhoid fever. Hahneman
created a totally new concept of medicine, which he called
`Homeopathy,' derived from the Greek words, `homeos,' which means
`similar,' and, `pathos' or `disease'. Hahneman's basic law was,
`Let's cure a disease with the disease itself, or like cures like'69.
Hahneman and other physicians observed and reported that an extremely
minute dosage of a substance that could reproduce some of the symptoms
of a known disease could somehow teach the body how to heal itself.
Substances, therefore, are diluted to such an extreme dilution that
scoffing scientists will describe the resulting mixture as being the
"essence of residual vibrations of a ghostly spirit passing quickly
through the room one time."

Carefully selected substances are sequentially diluted (and struck:
percussed) to concentrations such as 0.9 X 1061. The more diluted is
the substance chosen, the more "powerful" its effect -- a phenomenon
which stretches normal imagination beyond training of allopathic
physicians.

While it is true that modern medicine has a difficult time reconciling
healing with a dilution so tiny that no molecule of the original
substance can possibly remain, there are efforts to develop hypotheses
to explain the mystery. Several clinical experiments have stood up to
scrutiny, including increase in growth of wheat seedlings, diastase
hydrolysis of starch and lymphoblast growth rate. Studies using
nuclear magnetic resonance spectra, photoelectric densities and
dielectric constants have been made, and new hypotheses have been
created, seeking a "rational" explanation67. To the great chagrin and
consternation of traditional allopathic practitioners, "The British
Medical Journal (Feb. 9, 1991) published a groundbreaking survey of
clinical research on homeopathic medicine. Three experts on clinical
research analyzed 107 controlled clinical studies which were published
between 1966 and 1990. They noted that 81 trials indicated positive
results70."

While Homeopathy is not licensed in all states, it has been available
in many European countries for 200 years. Certain present-day royalty
and other governmental leaders would not have any other kind. And,
while John D. Rockerfeller (the original) is said to have promoted
allopathy in many American medical schools -- as drugs increased his
profits -- he, himself, would not permit any other kind of physician
than one who practiced Homeopathy.

In addition to healing, Homeopathy is said to strengthen the immune
system69. Many success stories, with every form of disease, have been
reported through the use of Homeopathy. According to Corazon Ilarina,
M.D.40, recommended Homeopathic remedies are Traumeel, Belladonna,
Injul Farte arsemium, Album Injul, Hepeel, Injul-Chal, Phosphor Injul
and Lachesis. She says that "Traumeel and Zeel ointments are very good
for swelling and inflammation when applied topically on affected
joints40." Dr. Ilarina also uses Homotoxicology which is the
Homeopathic process of ridding the body of toxins that contribute to
disease.

Recently, there has come increasing successes combining Homeopathy
with work originally defined by Louis Pasteur's contemporary Antoine
Bechamp. "Professor Dr. Guenther Enderlein (1872-1968) and his
associate Alfred Baum, M.D. along with discoveries of German doctor
Alexander von Seld, M.D. and Wilhelm von Brehmer68" state that they
have developed Homeopathic medicines that cause pleomorphic organisms
in one state to revert to a state capable of being handled by the
body, and they include a very wide range of diseases, including
various arthritides, in their successes. (Also Ernst B. Almquist77,
Gerald J. Domingue107, F.E. Haag77, Koch77, G. Koraen77, Virginia
Livingston-Wheeler, M.D.83, A. Maffucci77, Lida Mattman, Ph.D.77,
Gaston Naessen84, P.G. Olsson77, Royal Rife, E.J. Roukavischnikoff77,
Jorgan U. Schlegel, Gerda Troili-Petersson77, Willibald Winkler,
M.D.77, Hannah B. Woody78, W. Zopf77, and many others77, have followed
up wholly or in part, or rediscovered, Antoine Bechamp's76 work but
applied concepts not necessarily related to Homeopathy.)

Dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA Sulfate) Therapy

C.A. Hackethal, M.D. has reported excellent success in treating
Parkinson's Disease by use of replacement therapy of DHEA. Apparently
the bad side-effects of L-Dopa are avoided, and the Parkinsonian
victim is restored to appropriate functioning. As a collateral
observation, Dr. Hackethal has observed Rheumatoid Disease patients
(who also have Parkinson's Disease) become well even when C-reactive
protein and Rh-factor is positive. This may be a linkage between loss
of homeostatic hormones and the onset of Rheumatoid Disease, and
conversely, this may also highlight the reason why replacement therapy
of cortisone increases the rate of disease progress, as well as its
other bad side effects on Rheumatoid Disease victims. But Parkinson's
Disease and Rheumatoid Disease are only two of many health problems
that DHEA may help in some way, including various geriatric and
metabolic problems, Cancer, Diabetes, immune system enhancement,
improved brain function, infection, obesity, Osteoporosis, Alzheimer's
Disease, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and estrogen replacement96,107.

According to Julian Whitaker, M.D.96 "Blood levels of DHEA in men and
women peak around age 20, and it is the only hormone that declines in
a linear fashion in both sexes. As such it is one of the most reliable
markers of aging. By age 80, blood levels of DHEA are only 5% of what
they were at 20."

Dr. Julian Whitaker107 says, "DHEA is extraordinarily safe.
Administered by prescription, it is given in physiological replacement
dosage (up to 90-100 mg per day, usually less, or up to 250 mg per
day, according to some other physicians, depending upon age and need).
You should find DHEA to be safer than most over-the-counter items such
as Tylenol, Sudafed, Motrin, or even aspirin, and far safer than
almost all other prescription drugs.

"The goal of physiological replacement is to increase your blood level
of DHEA or DHEA sulfate (both levels are comparable) to that found in
a normal 20 to 30 year-old person. Therefore, if you are a 55 year-old
who has a normal blood level of DHEA for your age, physiological
replacement is used to increase your blood level to that of a younger,
healthier individual. If your blood level of DHEA is equal to or lower
than that of people in your age group, then your risk of disease and
other consequences of aging is far higher than the health risks of
physiological replacement therapy with DHEA.

"In general, your body tends to utilize the extra DHEA if it needs it,
and ignores it if it doesn't. For instance, if DHEA is given to an
animal with a viral infection, the animal will use all the extra DHEA
to enhance its immune system. If the animal does not have a viral
infection, the extra DHEA is simply ignored.

"Prescribing and using DHEA is both legal and rational. But because it
is an unpatentable therapy, the FDA takes the stance that it is
`experimental,' and has been overcontrolling it for years. . . . Since
no drug company can patent it, the FDA denies you access to it, giving
drug companies a clear shot at making metabolites of DHEA that they
can patent."

Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy and Ozone Therapy

Hydrogen Peroxide has been in medical use for several
centuries34,37,39, and there are thousands of scientific studies on
its use. What is not well known is that Hydrogen Peroxide is also used
by many both internally37 and externally for many different disease
conditions, including Rheumatoid Disease. Ozone Therapy35 is somewhat
newer on the medical scene. These two are often referred to as "Oxygen
Therapies," which is somewhat of a misnomer. One can take a breath of
air and receive more oxygen than one can receive from Hydrogen
Peroxide Therapy, and the use of Ozone Therapy32. Although not
entirely understood, these two therapies clearly do not supply
significant additional oxygen. In applying Ozone Therapy, like
Photopheresis, a certain supply of blood is removed, treated with
Ozone, and then replaced in the patient.

In desperation for relief -- any kind of relief -- arthritics will
gradually increase their oral intake of food-grade hydrogen peroxide,
many reporting relief of their symptoms, and sometimes their
degenerative conditions.

Other physicians, including Charles H. Farr, M.D., Ph.D.31, have shown
that the intravenous usage of hydrogen peroxide has a beneficial
effect on many disease states. Dr. Farr has also shown that the good
effects of intravenous hydrogen peroxide usage stem principally from
its ability to activate oxidation enzymes.

Miscellaneous Treatments

Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis have been historically viewed
by traditional medical practitioners as two far-ranging "unsolved"
disease conditions. As established medicine admits to no answer
despite a multitude of modern scientific tests and categorizations of
phenomena, it is not surprising to find that trial and error medicine
by those concerned and those afflicted have brought about some
practical answers. What is surprising is that many of these answers
have no clear or clearly known underlying basis. For example, among
various proffered solutions to either the inflammatory conditions, or
to the underlying unknown physiological mechanisms, are Diet, Extreme
Cold Therapy, Hydrotherapy, Poultices and Topical Treatments,
Homeopathy, modern methods based on Professor Dr. Guenther Enderlein's
work68, Biomagnetics, Colon Therapy, Sound Therapy, Color Therapy,
Aromatherapy, Mental Healing, Ayurveda, Dental Involvement (replacing
poisonous mercury amalgams), Live Cell Therapy, Hydrogen Peroxide
Therapy, Acupuncture, Acupressure, Rolfing, Oxygen and Ozone Therapy,
Photopheresis, Yoga, Chelation Therapy98 and many specialized organic
substances from either the land61 or sea36. Obviously not all of these
treatments work for 100% of the afflicted or there would be no reason
for this book.

The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation takes the position that -- since
traditional medicine admits to no answers -- each person must search
out the medical answer for him/herself, and that search may require
open-mindedly trying one recommendation after another. After all, to
the afflicted, it is not the correct theory that is important, but
whether or not desirable results are achieved.

Information and Physician Reference Source

The best source for information or physician referral is The
Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 5106 Old Harding Road, Franklin, TN
37064. They have a listing of more than 200 physicians in 17 different
countries (but mainly within the United States) who use one or more of
the various recommendations for Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Disease,
Gout or related Arthritides.

The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation is non-profit, charitable,
tax-exempt, so please send a contribution to help defray cost of
services requested.

Additional assistance may be had from the following organizations:

1. Candida Research and Information Foundation, PO Box 2719, Castro
Valley, CA 94546.

Text References

1. Anthony di Fabio, Rheumatoid Diseases Cured at Last, to The
Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111
Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1985.

2. Anthony di Fabio, The Art of Getting Well, The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite
A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1988.

3. Anthony di Fabio, Treatment and Prevention of Osteoarthritis, Part
I, The Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation,
1989. Also in Townsend Letter for Doctors, January 1990, #78; also
Anthony di Fabio, Arthritis, The Arthritis Trust of America/The
Rheumatoid Disease Foundation.

4. Anthony di Fabio, Treatment and Prevention of Osteoarthritis, Part
II, The Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation,
1989. Also in Townsend Letter for Doctors, February/March 1990,
#79/80; also Anthony di Fabio, Arthritis, The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation.

5. Anthony di Fabio, Gouty Arthritis, The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 1989.

6. Anthony di Fabio, The Master Regulator, The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 1989.

7. Paul Pybus, Intraneural Injections for Rheumatoid Arthritis and
Osteoarthritis and The Control of Pain in Arthritis of the Knee, The
Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 1989.

8. William J. Faber, D.O. and Morton Walker, D.P.M., Pain, Pain Go
Away, Milwaukee Pain Clinic & Metabolic Research Center, 6529 W. Fond
du Lac Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53218, 1990.

9. William J. Faber, D.O. and Morton Walker, D.P.M., Instant Pain
Relief, Milwaukee Pain Clinic & Metabolic Research Center, 6529 W.
Fond du Lac Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53218, 1990.

10. James A. Carlson, D.O., Knoxville, TN.

11. John H. Klippel, M.D., John L. Decker, M.D. Ed., Clinics in
Rheumatic Diseases, Vol. 9/No. 3, W.B. Saunders Company Ltd., December
1983.

12. L. Ron Hubbard, Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health,
Bridge Publications, Inc., 4751 Fountain Avenue, Los Angeles, CA
90029.

13. Perry A. Chapdelaine, Sr., "Herxheimer Reaction," Townsend Letter
for Doctors, May 1991, #94.

14. Anthony di Fabio, A Treatment for Scleroderma & Lupus
Erythematosus, The Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease
Foundation, 1989. Also in Townsend Letter for Doctors, Dec. 1989, #77.

15. Anthony di Fabio, The Surprising Psoriasis Treatment, The
Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 1989.
Also in Townsend Letter for Doctors, June 1990, #83.

16. Peter Dosch, M.D. Manual of Neural Therapy according to Huneke,
Eleventh Edition, Haug Publishers., 1984.

17. Pizzorno & Murray, A Textbook of Natural Medicine, Osteoarthritis
VI: Osteoa-1, John Bastyr College Publications, Seattle, WA, 1991.

18. Pizzorno & Murray, A Textbook of Natural Medicine, Rheumatoid
Arthritis VI: RA-4, John Bastyr College Publications, Seattle, WA,
1991.

19. Pizzorno & Murray, A Textbook of Natural Medicine, Rheumatoid
Arthritis VI: RA-5, John Bastyr College Publications, Seattle, WA,
1991.

20. Robert Bingham, M.D. Fight Back Against Arthritis, The Arthritis
Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 1985.

21. Anthony di Fabio, Essential Fatty Acids are Essential, The
Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 1989.
Also see Pizzorno & Murry, RA-4, 1991.

22. Pizzorno & Murray, Rheumatoid Arthritis VI: RA-4-5 1991.

23. Rex E. Newnham, Ph.D., D.O., N.D., Away With Arthritis, Cracoe
House Cottage, Cracoe, Skipton, North Yorkshire BD23 6LB England.

24. Anthony di Fabio, Friendly Bacteria -- Lactobacillus acidophilus &
Bifido bacterium, The Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid
Disease Foundation.

25. Richard Edelson, Peter Heald, Maritza Perez, Alain Rook,
"Photopheresis Update," Progress in Dermatology, Vol. 25, No. 3, Sept.
1991.

26. Personal communication from William Campbell Douglass, M.D.

27. Personal visit in the U.S. with Tonis Pai, M.D.

28. Personal visit with Gus Prosch, Jr., M.D., Birmingham, AL.

29. Roger Wyburn-Mason, M.D., Ph.D., The Causation of Rheumatoid
Disease and Many Human Cancers, The Arthritis Trust of America/The
Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 1985.

30. Anthony di Fabio, Bee Pollen: The Perfect Food, The Arthritis
Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation.

31. Anthony di Fabio, Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy, The Arthritis Trust
of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation.

32. Ed McCabe, Oxygen Therapies, Energy Publications, 99-RD1,
Morrisville, NY 13408, 1988.

33. Broda O. Barnes, M.D., Lawrence Galton, Hypothyroidism: The
Unsuspected Illness, Harper & Row, New York, 1976.

34. Walter O. Grotz, Grotz: Hydrogen: Bibliography, ECHO, 300 South
4th Street, Delano, MN 55328.

35. Personal Communication from Helmut Christ, M.D., Germany and
William Campell Douglass, III, M.D., Georgia.

36. John E. Croft, L.R.C.S., F.R.S.H., Natural Relief From Arthritis,
Nutri-Books, Box 5793, Denver Colorado 80217, 1979.

37. Kurt Donsbach, D.C., Ph.D. Hydrogen Peroxide.

38. Theron G. Randolph, M.D., Ralph W. Moss, Ph.D., An Alternative
Approach to Allergies, Bantam Books, 1982.

39. Charles Marchand, The Therapeutical Applications of Hydrozone and
Glycozone, Echo, Inc. PO Box 126 Delano, MN 55328, republished from
the 1904 18th edition 1989.

40. Corazon Illarina, M.D., unpublished manuscript, The Holistic Book
Project, Inc. 436 N. Oakhurst Drive, Apt. A, Beverly Hills, CA 90210,
1992.

41. C. Orian Truss, M.D., The Missing Diagnosis, C. Orian Truss, 2614
Highland Avenue, Birmingham, AL 35205, 1982.

42. William G. Crook, M.D., The Yeast Connection, Third Edition,
Professional Books, PO Box 3494, Jackson, TN 38301, 1986.

43. William G. Crook, M.D., Laura Stevens, Solving the Puzzle of Your
Hard-To-Raise Child, Professional Books, PO Box 846, Jackson, TN
38302, 1987.

44. Morton Walker, D.P.M. "The Carnivora Cure for Cancer, AIDS & Other
Pathologies," Townsend Letter for Doctors, p. 412, June 1991; and "The
Carnivora Cure for Cancer, AIDS & Other Pathologies -- Part II",
Townsend Letter for Doctors, 911 Tyler Street, Port Townsend, WA
98368-6541, p. 329, May 1992.

45. Royden Brown, "Bee Pollen Cure for COPD," Townsend Letter for
Doctors, 911 Tyler Street, Port Townsend, WA 98368-6541, p. 500, June
1992.

46. Personal communication with Royden Brown, Renaissance
Laboratories, 3627 E. Indian School Road, Suite 209, Phoenix, AZS
85018.

47. Theron G. Randolph, M.D. & Ralph W. Moss, Ph.D., An Alternative
Approach to Allergies, Bantam Book, July 1982.

48. The Purification Rundown, Bridge Publications, Inc., 1414 North
Catalina Street, Los Angeles, CA 90027.

49. David W. Schnare, Max Ben, Megan G. Shields, "Body Burden
Reductions of PCBs, PBBs and Chlorinated Pesticides in Human
Subjects," Ambio Vol. 13, NO. 5-6, p. 378, 1984.

50. Ziga Tretjack, Megan Shields, Shelley L. Beckmann, "PCB Reduction
and Clinical Improvement by Detoxification: An Unexploited Approach?"
Human & Experimental Toxicology 9, 235-244, 1990.

51. Human Detoxification: New Hope for Firefighters, California Fire
Fighter, Federated Fire Fighters of California, No. 4, 1984.

52. Personal experience, Perry A. Chapdelaine, Sr.

53. Buryl Payne, Ph.D., The Body Magnetic, 4264 Topsail Ct., Soquel,
CA 95073, from "Book Notices," Townsend Letter for Doctors, April
1993, p. 270.

54. Hal A. Huggins, D.D.S., It's All In Your Head, Life Sciences
Press, 4th Edition, 1990.

55. Royden Brown, How to Live The Millenium, Pains Corporation,
Phoenix, AZ 85018.

56. "Goodbye Candida," Nutri-Dyn, Nu Biologics, 2470 Wisconsin Street,
Downers Grove, IL 60515-4019.

57. Anthony di Fabio, Germanium, The Arthritis Trust of America/The
Rheumatoid Disease Foundation.

58. Sandra Goodman, Ph.D., Germanium, The Health and Life Enhancer,
Thorsons Publishers Limited, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8 2RQ
England.

59. Betty Kamen, Ph.D. Germanium: A New Approach to Immunity,
Nutrition Encounter, Inc., Box 689, Larkspur, CA 94939.

60. Penny C. Royal, Herbally Yours, Sound Nutrition, 2560 North 560
East, Provo, UT 84604, 1987.

61. Yoshide Hagiwara, M.D. Green Barley Essence, Keats Publishing Co,
27 Pine St. (Box 876), New Canaan, CT 06840, 1985.

62. Maureen Salaman, Nutrition: The Cancer Answer, Stratford
Publishing, 1259 El Camino Real, Suite 1500, Menlo Park, CA 94025,
1983.

63.Nathan Pritikin, The Pritikin Promise, Pocket Books, Simon &
Schuster, Inc., 1985.

64. Linus Pauling, How To Live Longer and Feel Better, Avon Books, 105
Madison Ave., New York, NY 10016, 1986.

65. The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation files.

66. Harvey Bigelsen, M.D., The Townsend Letter for Doctors, #51, p.
294, Oct. 1987.

67. Ralph Wilson, Abstracter, of Callinan, P. "The Mechanism of Action
of Homeopathic Remedies -- Towards a Definitive Mode of Action," J. of
Complementary Medicine, July 1985.

68. Dr. Erik Enby, Hidden Killers, Peter Gosch, Michael Sheehan,
Sheehan Communications, 1990.

69. Luc De Schepper, M.D., Ph.D., C.A., Peak Immunity, 2901 Wilshire
Boulevard, Suite 435, Santa Monica, CA 90403, 1989.

70. "British Medical Journal Acknowledges the Value of Homeopathy,"
The Townsend Letter for Doctors, #96, July 1991.

71. Dennis W. Remington, M.D., Barbara W. Higa, R.D., Back to Health,
Vitality House International, Inc., 3707 North Canyon Road #8-C,
Provo, UT 84604.

72. Seldon Nelson, M.D., "The Use of Ionic Copper in the Treatment of
Arthritis," The Journal of the Academy of Rheumatoid Diseases, Volume
I, No. 3, Robert Bingham, M.D., 7750 Katella Ave., Suite 203, Stanton,
CA 90680, 1987.

73. Raymond F. Peat, Ph.D., "Hormone Balancing: Natural Treatment,"
The Journal of the Rheumatoid Disease Medical Association, Volume 1,
Number 1, Robert Bingham, M.D., 7750 Katella Ave., Suite 203, Stanton,
CA 90680, 1986.

74. Robert Bingham, M.D., "The Arthritis Program of the Desert
Arthritis Medical Clinic," The Journal of the Rheumatoid Disease
Medical Association, Volume 2, Number 1, Robert Bingham, M.D., 7750
Katella Ave., Suite 203, Stanton, CA 90680, 1990.

75. Based on reports over 10 years to The Rheumatoid Disease
Foundation.

76. Reproductions of The Microzymas and The Blood (1908) translated by
Montague Leverson, M.D. (1911) available through John & Frieda
Mattingly, PO Box 7178, Loveland, CA 80537.

77. Personal Visitation to Lida Mattman, Ph.D. and author of
definitive work, Cell Wall Deficient Organisms, Chemical Rubber
Company Press (Out of print); and also Cell Wall Deficient Forms
Stealth Pathogens, 2nd Edition, Chemical Rubber Company Press, Boca
Raton, FL 1993.

78. Gerald J. Domingue, Jorgen U. Schlegel, Hannah B. Woody, "Naked
Bacteria in Human Blood," Microbia, Tome 2, No. 2, 1976.

79. Arabinda Das, M.D. "A Doctor's Case: What Happens When a Physician
Becomes a Rheumatoid Arthritis Patient?" The Townsend Letter for
Doctors, July 1992.

80. Jeffrey S. Bland, Ph.D. "Managing Endo- and Exotoxicity," Townsend
Letter for Doctors, July 1992.

81. American Apitherapy Society, Inc., Letters to the Editors, The
Townsend Letter for Doctors, p. 610, July 1992.

82. Zane R. Gard, M.D. and Erma J. Brown, BSN, Ph.N. "Literature
Review & Comparison Studies of the Sauna and Illness -- Part II," The
Townsend Letter for Doctors, July 1992.

83. Virginia Livingston-Wheeler, Edmond G. Addeo, The Conquest of
Cancer, Franklin Watts, 1984.

84. John W. Mattingly, Microscopy, Bacteriology and Gaston Naessens'
Biological Theory, 2408 Frances Drive, Loveland, CO 80537, Jan. 1986.

85. Raul Vergini, M.D., "Magnesium Chloride in Acute and Chronic
Diseases," The Townsend Letter for Doctors, No v. 1992, p. 992.

86. Ida P. Rolf, Ph.D., Rolfing The Integration of Human Structures,
Harper & Row Publishers, 1977.

87. Rolf Institute, PO Box 1868, Boulder, CO 80306.

88. Personal communication with Thomas Gervais.

89. William Kaufman, Ph.D., M.D.,"The Use of Vitamin Therapy to
Reverse Certain Concomitants of Aging," Journal of the American
Geriatrics Society, Vol. III, No. 11, Nov. 1955, p. 927-936.

90. William Kaufman, Ph.D., M.D. "Niacinamide: A Most Neglected
Vitamin," Journal of the International Academy of Preventive Medicine,
Vol. VIII, No. 1, Winter, 1983.

91. William Kaufman, Ph.D., M.D. The Common Form of Joint Dysfunction,
E.L. Hildreth & Co., 1949.

92. Personal communication with Rolfer Les Kertay, M.A.

93. Lester Winters, M.D., Cellular Therapy, Cellular Therapy Physician
Associates of Tijuana, Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, address mail
to 2182 March Place, San Diego, CA 92110. Also personal communication
with Lester Winters, M.D.

94. Gerhard Shettler, Prof. Dr. med. "Intra-articular Cellular Therapy
and Adjunctive Treatment," University of Cologne, Bundesreupublik
Deutchland.

95. Personal communication with Gus J. Prosch, Jr., M.D.

96. Julian Whitaker, M.D. Health & Healing, Vol. 2, No.6., June 1992.

97. Warren Levin, M.D. Personal Communication.

98. Anthony di Fabio, Chelation Therapy, The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation.

99. Anthony di Fabio, The Herxheimer Effect, The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation.

100. Personal visit to William J. Saccoman, M.D. clinic and to Lester
J. Winter, M.D.

101. Webster's New Universal Unabridged Dictionary.

102. Robert R. Barefoot, Carl J. Reich, M.D., The Calcium Factor,
Bokar Consultants, Inc., PO Box 21270, Wickenburg, AZ 85358, 1992.;
also personal letters from Carl J. Reich, M.D. to The Rheumatoid
Disease Foundation.

103. The Key to the Power of Vitamin C, Inter-Cal Corporation, 421
Miller Valley Road, Prescott, AZ 86301.

104. William H. Philpott, M.D., Dean R. Bonlie, D.D.S., The Magnetics
of Stress Evoked Cellular Injury and Disease and Anti-stress
Controlled Health Maintenance and Healing, Philpott Medical Services,
17171 S.E. 29th Street, Choctaw, OK 73020, Oct. 1992.

105 . Personal correspondence from Carl J. Reich, M.D. to Perry A.
Chapdelaine, Sr., December 27, 1992.

106. Gerald J. Domingue, Jorgen U. Schlegel, Hannah B. Woody, "Naked
Bacteria in Human Blood," Microbia, Tome 2, No. 2, Annee 1976.

107. Dr. Julian Whitaker, "DHEA References," Health & Healing," June
1992; also see "DHEA: The Closest We Can Get, Today, To A Foundation
of Youth," Op.Cit., Vol.2, No. 6, June 1992; William Regelson, Roger
Loria, Mohammed Kalimi, "Hormonal Intervention: `Buffer Hormones' or
`State Dependency,' Neuroimmunomodulation: Intervention in Aging and
Cancer," Annales N.Y. Acad. Sci., Vol. 521, 1988; George Weber, Ed.,
"Advances in Enzyme Regulation," Proceedings of the Twenty-Sixth
Symposium on Regulation of Enzyme Activity and Synthesis in Normal and
Neoplastic Tissues held at Indiana University School of Medicine,
Indianapolis, Indiana, Volume 26, Pergamon Press, September 29, 30,
1986; Jonathan V. Wright, M.D., Physiologic and `Supraphysiologic'
Suppression of Allergy by Dehydroepiandrosterone, February 26, 1990.

108. John D. Kirschmann, Lavon J. Dunne, Nutrition Almanac, 2nd
Edition, McGraw-Hill Book Company, 1984, p. 158..

109. James F. Balch, M.D., Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C., Prescription for
Nutritional Healing, Avery Publishing Group, Inc., Garden City Park,
New York, 1990, p. 191.

110. Rex E. Newnham Ph.D., D.O., N.D., Personal correspondence to
Perry A. Chapdelaine, Sr., February 25, 1993, and also see Osteo Trace
label, Mumme Enterprises, 1321 Meridian Avenue, South Pasadena, CA
91030.

111. Robert W. Bradford, D.Sc., Henry W. Allen, Michael L. Culbert,
D.Sc., The Biochemical Basis of Live Cell Therapy," The Robert
Bradford Foundation, 1180 Walnut avenue, Chula Vista, California,
92011-2622, May 1986.

112. William H. Philpott, M.D., Magnetic Research Protocols, Philpott
Medical Services, 17171 S.E. 29th Street, Choctaw, OK 73020.

113. Courtland Reeves, Fax Letter received from ELF Laboratories, 1314
Burch Drive, Evansville, IN 47711, January 1994.

114. R.O. Becker, "The Basic Biological Data Transmission and Control
System Influenced by Electrical Forces," Ann. N.Y. Acad. Sci. Vol.
238, pp. 236, 1974.

115. W.R. Adey, "Tissue Interactions with Non-Ionizing Electromagnetic
Fields," Physiol. Rev., Vol. 61, pp 435, 1981.

116. Ilanka Harezi, "The Danger of the Magnet Buzz," Explore, Vol. 4,
No. 3 and 4, 1993, p. 128. Also write to ELF Laboratories, 1314 Burch
Drive, Evansville, IN 47711 for further information, or copy of the
article itself.

Books and Other Reading Materials

1. Anthony di Fabio, Rheumatoid Diseases Cured at Last, The Arthritis
Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum
Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1985.

2. Anthony di Fabio, The Art of Getting Well, The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite
A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1988.

3. Anthony di Fabio, Treatment and Prevention of Osteoarthritis, Part
I, The Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation,
7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1989. Also in
Townsend Letter for Doctors, January 1990, #78.

4. Anthony di Fabio, Treatment and Prevention of Osteoarthritis, Part
II, The Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation,
7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1989. Also in
Townsend Letter for Doctors, February/March 1990, #79/80.

[...]

10. John H. Klippel, M.D., John L. Decker, M.D. Ed., Clinics in
Rheumatic Diseases, Vol. 9/No. 3, W.B. Saunders Company Ltd., December
1983.

11. Anthony di Fabio, Essential Fatty Acids are Essential,The
Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111
Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1989.

12. Perry A. Chapdelaine, Sr., "Herxheimer Reaction," Townsend Letter
for Doctors, May 1991, #94.

13. Anthony di Fabio, A Treatment for Scleroderma & Lupus
Erythematosus, The Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease
Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384,
1989. Also in Townsend Letter for Doctors, Dec. 1989, #77.

14. Anthony di Fabio, The Surprising Psoriasis Treatment, The
Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111
Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1989. Also in
Townsend Letter for Doctors, June 1990, #83.

15. Peter Dosch, M.D. Manual of Neural Therapy According to Huneke,
Eleventh Edition, Haug Publishers., 1984.

16. Robert Bingham, M.D. Fight Back Against Arthritis, The Arthritis
Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum
Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1985.

17. Jack M. Blount, M.D. Archimedes Concon, M.D., James Rowland, D.O.,
William Renforth, M.D., Paul Williamson, M.D., Roger Wyburn-Mason,
M.D. Historical Documents In Search of the Cure for Rheumatoid
Disease, The Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease
Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384,
1985.

18. Joan Wyburn-Mason, Dedication, Love and Humour,The Arthritis Trust
of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road,
Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384, 1985.

18. Roger Wyburn-Mason, M.D., Ph.D., The Causation of Rheumatoid
Disease and Many Human Cancers,The Arthritis Trust of America/The
Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview,
Tn 37062-9384, 1985.

19. Broda O. Barnes, M.D. and Lawrence Galton, Hypothyroidism: The
Unsuspected Illness Harper & Row, New York 1976.

20. Rex E. Newnham, Ph.D., D.O., N.D., Away With Arthritis, Cracoe
House Cottage, Cracoe, Skipton, North Yorkshire BD23 6LB England.

21. Pizzorno & Murray, A Textbook of Natural Medicine, Osteoarthritis
VI, John Bastyr College Publications, Seattle, WA, 1991.

22. Pizzorno & Murray, A Textbook of Natural Medicine, Rheumatoid
Arthritis VI, John Bastyr College Publications, Seattle, WA, 1991.

23. Anthony di Fabio, Friendly Bacteria -- Lactobacillus acidophilus &
Bifido bacterium, The Arthritis Trust of America/The Rheumatoid
Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn
37062-9384.

24. Dr. Erik Enby, Hidden Killers, Peter Gosch, Michael Sheehan,
Sheehan Communications, 1990.

25. Anthony di Fabio, Hydrogen Peroxide Therapy,The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite
A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384.

26. Ed McCabe, Oxygen Therapies, Energy Publications, 99-RD1,
Morrisville, NY 13408, 1988.

27. Dr. Lester Winters, Cellular Therapy, 2182 March Place, San Diego,
CA 92110.

28. John E. Croft, L.R.C.S., F.R.S.H., Natural Relief From Arthritis,
Nutri-Books, Box 5793, Denver Colorado 80217, 1979.

29. Kurt Donsbach, D.C., Ph.D. Hydrogen Peroxide,

30. Theron G. Randolph, M.D., Ralph W. Moss, Ph.D., An Alternative
Approach to Allergies, Bantam Books, 1982.

31. Charles Marchand, The Therapeutical Applications of Hydrozone and
Glycozone, Echo, Inc. PO Box 126 Delano, MN 55328, republished from
the 1904 18th edition 1989.

32. C. Orian Truss, M.D., The Missing Diagnosis, C. Orian Truss, 2614
Highland Avenue, Birmingham, AL 35205, 1982.

33. William G. Crook, M.D., The Yeast Connection, Third Edition,
Professional Books, PO Box 3494, Jackson, TN 38301, 1986.

34. William G. Crook, M.D., Laura Stevens, Solving the Puzzle of Your
Hard-To-Raise Child, Professional Books, PO Box 846, Jackson, TN
38302, 1987.

35. Townsend Letter for Doctors, 911 Tyler Street, Port Townsend, WA
98368-6541.

36. Theron G. Randolph, M.D. & Ralph W. Moss, Ph.D., An Alternative
Approach to Allergies, Bantam Book, July 1982.

37. The Purification Rundown, Bridge Publications, Inc., 1414 North
Catalina Street, Los Angeles, CA 90027.

38. Royden Brown, How to Live The Millenium, Pains Corporation,
Phoenix, AZ 85018.

39. Anthony di Fabio, Germanium, The Arthritis Trust of America/The
Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview,
Tn 37062-9384.

40. Sandra Goodman, Ph.D., Germanium, The Health and Life Enhancer,
Thorsons Publishers Limited, Wellingborough, Northamptonshire, NN8 2RQ
England.

41. Betty Kamen, Ph.D. Germanium: A New Approach to Immunity,
Nutrition Encounter, Inc., Box 689, Larkspur, CA 94939.

42. Penny C. Royal, Herbally Yours, Sound Nutrition, 2560 North 560
East, Provo, UT 84604, 1987.

43. Yoshide Hagiwara, M.D. Green Barley Essence, Keats Publishing Co,
27 Pine St. (Box 876), New Canaan, CT 06840, 1985.

44. Maureen Salaman, Nutrition: The Cancer Answer, Stratford
Publishing, 1259 El Camino Real, Suite 1500, Menlo Park, CA 94025,
1983.

45. Nathan Pritikin, The Pritikin Promise, Pocket Books, Simon &
Schuster, Inc., 1985.

46. Linus Pauling, How To Live Longer and Feel Better, Avon Books, 105
Madison Ave., New York, NY 10016, 1986.

47. Anthony di Fabio, Arthritis, The Arthritis Trust of America/The
Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite A, Fairview,
Tn 37062-9384.

48. Luc De Schepper, M.D., Ph.D., C.A., Peak Immunity, 2901 Wilshire
Boulevard, Suite 435, Santa Monica, CA 90403, 1989.

49. Dennis W. Remington, M.D., Barbara W. Higa, R.D., Back to Health,
Vitality House International, Inc., 3707 North Canyon Road #8-C,
Provo, UT 84604.

50. Rolf Institute, PO Box 1868, Boulder, CO 80306.

51. Anthony di Fabio, Chelation Therapy, The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite
A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384.

52. Anthony di Fabio, Bee Pollen: The Perfect Food, The Arthritis
Trust of America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum
Road, Suite A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384.

53. Anthony di Fabio, The Herxheimer Effect, The Arthritis Trust of
America/The Rheumatoid Disease Foundation, 7111 Sweetgum Road, Suite
A, Fairview, Tn 37062-9384.

54. Robert R. Barefoot, Carl J. Reich, M.D., The Calcium Factor, Bokar
Consultants, Inc., PO Box 21270, Wickenburg, AZ 85358, 1992.

55. Lida H. Mattman, Ph.D., Cell Wall Deficient Forms: Stealth
Pathogens, CRC Press, 2000 Corporate Blvd., N.W., Boca Raton, FL
33431, 2nd Edition, 1993.

56. Gerald J. Domingue, Jorgen U. Schlegel, Hannah B. Woody, "Naked
Bacteria in Human Blood," Microbia, Tome 2, No. 2, Annee 1976.

57. Robert W. Bradford, D.Sc., Henry W. Allen, Michael L. Culbert,