Torn dew claw

Old September 25th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
GWB

Default Torn dew claw

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 00:21:39 GMT, "pfoley"
wrote:

You sure sound like an angry person
to me, no matter who you respond to.

Plus, he thinks dogs have thumbs. G
Old September 25th 06, 01:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"pfoley" wrote in message
nk.net...
Dew claws are not necessary and do tear and bleed if caught on
things;

........uhm, if dewclaws are not necessary why do dogs have them? Ears
tear and bleed too if caught on things. In all the years I've had dogs,
never has a dewclaw caught on anything and bled. And my dogs have always
had a place to run - field, woods, etc., so they certainly had a greater
chance of getting their *dewclaws caught on something*.

Whether or not your rescue group required them to be taken off is totally
beside the point. I can't imagine why they did as it seems silly and
unnecessary to me.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old September 25th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mary Healey

"pfoley" wrote:
My dog had no problem having it done. I don't think any joint was
cut. She was in and out in a few hours and healed fast. She did not
limp or was in any pain.

Then, perhaps, when you asked why that particular dog needed its dews
removed, the answer was specific to that dog. Not all dogs. Or even most
dogs. Just your dog.

Dew claws are not necessary

Not true. They seem to provide a mechanical advantage to dogs whose work
includes turns at speed (agility, herding).

and do tear and bleed if caught on things;

shrug One of my dogs got a toenail caught in something on the floor. The
nail was pretty much ripped off the pulp.

you don't have to remove your dew claws if
you don't want to. My vet and the rescue wanted it done on my dog.

For reasons specific to your dog. Generalizing that to all dogs is poor
logic.

Old September 25th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"Mary Healey" wrote in message
.4...
"pfoley" wrote:
[...]

==================
Maybe so, but I was answering the OP's question to the following, which
somehow has been forgotten:
snip
Anyone ever have the dew claws surgically removed to prevent future
injuries? Thanks
end of snip
My response was, yes, and I stated the reason why. Her chihuauha mix will
probably not be used in herding or agility, and if the dog is having tears
in the dew claw, maybe if the vet thinks it should be removed, then maybe it
should be removed; that is all I am saying. I would tend to go with the
opinion of the vet. If owners do not think dew claws should be removed and
are having no problems with them, it is up to them to decide what to do with
them. If you think they are so necessary, why aren't all dogs born with dew
claws? What do all those other poor dogs do minus their dew claws?
Maybe everyone should direct their strong personal opinions to the OP
instead of the responder all the time. Then, the OP could make up his/her
own mind what to do. If everyone just sits around and waits to pounce on
the responder whenever someone asks a question; no one will ask a question
and no one will want to respond. I am the only person who responded to the
OP.
It is an open forum here and everyone can express his/her own opinion, and
that was my experience with dew claws. Wouldn't it be more advantageous to
the OP if everyone just stated their own opinions and ideas to the OP,
instead of trying to start something with a responder, whom they disagree
with.

Old September 25th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article .net,
pfoley wrote:
It is an open forum here and everyone can express his/her own opinion, and
that was my experience with dew claws. Wouldn't it be more advantageous to
the OP if everyone just stated their own opinions and ideas to the OP,
instead of trying to start something with a responder, whom they disagree
with.

No. If someone really doesn't know anything about the topic
at hand they generally are not in a position to do a good
job evaluating the accuracy of information they're being
given. Case in point: you swallowed that nonsense from the
Rottweiler rescue group about dewclaws catching on
"everything" and therefore needing to be amputated. You
were given lousy information and you didn't have the
background to recognize it as lousy information.

I gather that what you're really asking for here is license
to continue handing out misinformation without being held
responsible for it.

Old September 25th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article .net,
pfoley wrote:
[...]

========
You are a piece of work. I don't appreciate you calling me an idiot or
stating that the rescue group doesn't know anything. I guess I should have
asked you first what to do before I adopted my dog from this rescue group
that has rehomed hundreds of Rottweilers to good homes and went down and
saved about a hundred more dogs from Katrina and taking in more Katrina dogs
next week because they could not find suitable or good owners for these
Katrina Rottweilers, or maybe I shouldn't have listened to the veterinarian
they sent her to; do you suppose everyone is ignorant, but you? This rescue
group has been saving Rottweiler dogs for years now and are very
knowledgeable about dogs. They work closely with veterinarians all the time
to insure the dogs are in the best health possible, no matter what the cost
before releasing them to good homes. They inspect the homes and back yards
of the prospective owner; they make sure you take the dog to obedience
training classes; the family has to match up to the dog. This group knows
all about dogs and gives them the best possible treatment at all times.
It was the vet that told me the reason they sometimes remove them. Maybe
hers had been torn and infected before I got her; maybe the rescue group has
seen too many tears and infections on Rottys that had dew claws; who knows;
I just listened to the experts. She was not even really mine yet when they
had that done, and she had no problems having it done and does not seem to
miss them!

Old September 25th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article et,
pfoley wrote:
I just listened to the experts.

Well, either they led you astray or you misunderstood what
they were saying (I agree that you should remove dewclaws
that are only being held on by skin and ligament, and
perhaps that's what they may have been talking about).
People are making decisions about their dog's health based
on stuff they read here, and while it may be advantageous to
you to let misinformation go unchallenged, it's not good for
the dogs.

Old September 25th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mary Healey

"pfoley" wrote:
Maybe so, but I was answering the OP's question to the following,
which somehow has been forgotten:
snip
Anyone ever have the dew claws surgically removed to prevent future
injuries? Thanks
end of snip
My response was, yes, and I stated the reason why.

Your response was "I think it is best to remove them as they catch on to
everything and tear and then bleed and possibly become infected if torn
open." You didn't say "My vet says" until after you were challenged.

Her chihuauha mix
will probably not be used in herding or agility,

The fact remains, dogs *do* use their dews. You said, "Dew claws are
not necessary" and sometimes they are.

and if the dog is
having tears in the dew claw, maybe if the vet thinks it should be
removed,

The OP didn't mention a vet. Only a groomer.

then maybe it should be removed; that is all I am saying.

That may be what you think you're saying, but the funny thing is, you're
not saying it. You're saying "I think all dogs should have their dews
removed" and, when challenged, you wibble around with "well, my vet
says" or "well, the rescue says".

I would tend to go with the opinion of the vet.

Then perhaps your advice ought to have been, "Ask your vet", eh?

If owners do not think
dew claws should be removed and are having no problems with them, it
is up to them to decide what to do with them. If you think they are
so necessary, why aren't all dogs born with dew claws?

If dews are so unnecessary, why are some born with them? Why do some
breeds require double dews?

What do all
those other poor dogs do minus their dew claws?

Slide from lack of traction, probably.

Old September 25th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"pfoley" wrote:
[...]

Don't be so petty; I said it many times and in many different ways; I think
my message was very clear. People get information from different experts; I
got mine from the vet; sorry I didn't state that I got it from the vet in
the first message; do you always state where you found all your information
when answering a message. If I didn't make it clear in the first message I
am sure they got it later on after the abundance of messages questioning and
attacking me.

Old September 25th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mary Healey

"pfoley" wrote :
...People get information from
different experts; I got mine from the vet;

My vet refuses to take the dews off most dogs. She's very firm in her
opinion that removing them is unnecessary in most cases.

Supplementing that expert opinion, I've also seen my dogs use their
front dews to manipulate toys and chewies. The come in with mud on
their dews after a rabbit (squirrel, chipmunk, cat) chase, or a vigorous
round of frisbee.

Dewclaw trivia:

"The Lundehund certainly has the most interesting feet in dogdom. Small-
bodied for agility among the rocks, the breed has been selected for
polydactylism (supernumerary toes), so that it has at least two large
functional dewclaws and up to eight plantar cushions per foot."
from http://www.thebreedsofdogs.com/LUNDEHUND.htm

The AKC Briard standard says:
"two dewclaws are required on each rear leg, placed low on the leg,
giving a wide base to the foot. Occasionally the nail may break off
completely. The dog shall not be penalized for the missing nail so long
as the digit itself is present. Ideally the dewclaws form additional
functioning toes. Disqualification --anything less than two dewclaws on
each rear leg."

...If I didn't
make it clear in the first message I am sure they got it later on
after the abundance of messages questioning and attacking me.

So now you understand why your replies are questioned -- the information
you provide initially is incomplete.

Torn ACL in Airedale ldg38 Dog health 4 July 10th 06 03:30 PM
torn ACL [email protected] Dog health 2 May 7th 06 05:15 PM
torn ligament ???? [email protected] Dog health 4 February 13th 06 12:58 AM
Badly torn toenail Tracy Custer Dog health 2 January 23rd 05 02:12 AM
Bleeding claw montana Dog health 1 December 4th 03 04:21 PM