Need expert advice on Akita, Samoyed, and Husky breeds

Old July 8th 19, 04:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Default Need expert advice on Akita, Samoyed, and Husky breeds

On Monday, February 9, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Jessica Langston wrote:
I think the Akita, Samoyed and Husky breeds are beautiful dogs
and I admire their independence. However, I'm torn over whether
or not I should get a dog like one of these because I've read
a lot about them that is really making me think twice. I have
a few questions for anyone who has experience with any or all of
these breeds.
1. I live in the country and wouldn't like to keep my dog
penned up or on a leash during the day. I've heard that these dogs
will run off if they aren't "restrained." Is this true?
2. I have a cat and I need a dog that will get along well
with her. I know these dogs like to chase birds and other small
animals. Do you think I could teach the dog to get along well with
the cat or would they always have to be supervised when they were
together?
3. Are these dogs terribly aggressive with people or other
dogs? I hear Akitas, especially, can get aggressive, even with their
owners.
4. Lastly, I've heard many tales that these breeds are not
very "car-smart" and do get run over a lot. Is this to say that
they'd just stand and let a car back over them or are they more
inclined to jump out in the road in front of a car?
Thanks to anyone who can provide information or answer any of my
(many) questions.

- Jamie Langston )

Hi. we might get a samoyd, but we have a lovebird and a parakeet. do you think the samoyd would try to hurt or be agressive twards the birds?