New Training Plan?

Old March 20th 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jenn

Default New Training Plan?

Hello All!

Little progress has been made with Cupid, my 4mo. Pom. Although he is
doing much better with me at home being tethered, he still is not able
to "hold it" for 2 hours until my neighbor can come let him out and
also during the night hours. Sadly, he also had a "mistake" on my lap.
I took him to the vet on Monday and ruled out any possible medical
problems. He just needs some *good* training. I told my work I'm
taking a leave of absence, and tomorrow (Friday) will be my last day
until I feel like I can come back. I felt like doing this was the only
way to make any progress with my little guy.

So, starting Sunday I'm going to have 100% of my time to dedicate to
Cupid. I need a good training plan so I can start over (somewhat)
fresh with him. I'm not sure if I should go back to crate training or
keep him on the tether... or what?

Any advice?
Old March 20th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jenn

On Mar 20, 11:01*am, diddy none wrote:

The absolute best housebreaking book, and most comprehensive is The Evans
Guide for *Housetraining your dog. By Job Michael Evans.

Can you tell me a little about the underlying theory behind this book?
Old March 20th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:49:49 -0700 (PDT), Jenn
wrote:

Hello All!

Little progress has been made with Cupid, my 4mo. Pom. Although he is
doing much better with me at home being tethered,

What does that tell you?

THINK.

he still is not able
to "hold it" for 2 hours until my neighbor can come let him out and
also during the night hours.

What does that tell you?

THINK.

Sadly, he also had a "mistake" on my lap.

What did you do the instant you realized that he was making a mistake
in your lap?

And what were each of you doing when he made the mistake?

How long had it been since his last trip to "outside"

I took him to the vet on Monday and ruled out any possible medical
problems. He just needs some *good* training. I told my work I'm
taking a leave of absence, and tomorrow (Friday) will be my last day
until I feel like I can come back. I felt like doing this was the only
way to make any progress with my little guy.

Good for you, Jenn. I'm glad that you're in a position to do that.

It's *always* good advice to bring home a new puppy right before
taking one's vacation, so that one can give some *undivided* attention
to housebreaking the new pup.

So, starting Sunday I'm going to have 100% of my time to dedicate to
Cupid. I need a good training plan so I can start over (somewhat)
fresh with him. I'm not sure if I should go back to crate training or
keep him on the tether... or what?

Answer: Whatever it takes to assure that your pup doesn't make another
"mistake."

Use the tether, the crate, etc., but the most important thing is to be
VIGILANT.

Not just vigilant 95% of the time. Not just vigilant 99% of the time,
but vigilant 100% of the time.

THINK.

Why not list for us the dog's routine for one single day (which should
be pretty similar to every day's routine)?

When and what you feed him, when you take him outside, when you play
with him, when he "goes," when he sleeps, when you take his water
away, etc?

It's a great exercise, Jenn, and will go a long towards getting him
reliably housetrained.

Don't forget: Your job is going to be even harder now, because he's
been allowed to make mistakes. That's why *you* can't allow him to
make *anymore* mistakes.

--
Handsome "Jack" Morrison

Hillary finally snaps!
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/03/1...finally-snaps/

Obama: 'no sudden moves' when talking to whites.
http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/..._when_tal.html

Speech is free, but only if it's politically correct. spit
http://pajamasmedia.com/2008/03/pc_lessons.php

Even Canadians don't want us to adopt their health care system!
http://tigerhawk.blogspot.com/2008/0...-to-adopt.html

Senate 97, Obama 0.
http://blogs.dailymail.com/donsurber...te-97-obama-0/

Here's more on Obama's church, the one that Melinda Shore claims she "loves".
http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/a...-pastor-g.html

Amid Charges of Spitzer Tryst, Embattled Prostitute "Kristen" Expected to Resign!
http://iowahawk.typepad.com/iowahawk...harges-of.html

Yo! Canada! We'll trade you all of our Democrats for all of your oil. Deal?
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/03/1...-do-we-prefer/

Code Pink vs. the Marines and the Daily Show.
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/03/1...he-daily-show/

Advice for Michelle Obama:
http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2008/03/...-and-mess.html

When the Democratic Party moves too far left for George McGovern(!), you know they're in trouble:
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/03/0...esponsibility/

Yo! Kevin! *This* is a brave woman. Your buddy Melinda is just a garden-variety bully.
http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/1704.htm
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exer...0F6B1E68BE.htm

A book that every American should read (and NYT #1 bestseller): Liberal Fascism, by Jonah Goldberg
http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Fascis.../dp/0385511841
Old March 20th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:09:52 -0700 (PDT), Jenn
wrote:

On Mar 20, 11:01*am, diddy none wrote:

The absolute best housebreaking book, and most comprehensive is The Evans
Guide for *Housetraining your dog. By Job Michael Evans.

Can you tell me a little about the underlying theory behind this book?

Jenn, the underlying theory in this book (which a very good one, I
might add) is the same underlying theory for all good housebreaking
books:

You just can't let your puppy make a mistake.

Period.

Old March 20th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Handsome Jack Morrison spoke these words
of wisdom in :

wrote:

On Mar 20, 11:01*am, diddy none wrote:

The absolute best housebreaking book, and most comprehensive is The

Evans
Guide for *Housetraining your dog. By Job Michael Evans.

Can you tell me a little about the underlying theory behind this book?

Jenn, the underlying theory in this book (which a very good one, I
might add) is the same underlying theory for all good housebreaking
books:

You just can't let your puppy make a mistake.

Period.

Yep, I guess that's it in a nutshell. Good call, Jack
Old March 20th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Ditto. Absolutely correct.
Old March 20th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

It's not the puppy being difficult. It's not a dog's nature to be naturally
housebroken. In fact, it's very much in their nature to leave scent markers
all OVER the place!

So if an owner decides that they want a pet, they take on the commitment to
housebreak a dog to do something NOT natural. If it's not being
accomplished readily, it's NOT the dog being a bad dog, but rather an owner
doing something (and probably a whole bunch of somethings) very wrong.

So it's not BAD puppy! It's more BAD owner!
Take a rolled up newspaper and give yourself a few whacks

And peepads are a HUGE mistake
Old March 20th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jenn

On Mar 20, 11:14*am, Handsome Jack Morrison
wrote:

Oh Jack, your responses are so open ended and not helpful at all.

Im thinking of switching to Purina Pro Plan Ed[_3_] Dog health 6 June 25th 07 04:49 PM
have a look "plan your escape pod" Richard Brandstetter Dog activities 1 July 24th 05 04:45 AM
Which food is better? Pro Pet or Pro Plan Kayla Dog health 5 July 12th 05 02:55 AM
Pro Pet / Pro Plan Kayla Dog behavior 1 July 9th 05 11:39 PM
East Coast Emergency Plan Gwen Watson Dog behavior 33 September 19th 03 07:20 PM