Rescue: Looking for Yorkshire Terrier

Old July 31st 03, 08:59 PM
MaryBeth

Default Rescue: Looking for Yorkshire Terrier

Hey all, haven't been posting to this group, as I've been trying *really*
hard to not adopt again, (Hi, Lauren!), three dogs are enough, but this is
for my Dad who lives in Kansas......

My Dad's little Yorkshire Terrier, Corky, was killed last Sat. out in
Kansas.
Every time my Dad goes anywhere, Corky would jump into the car, sometimes
had to be put back in house or other times was able to go. They are very
loving caring ppl, who loved that little star. It was just one of those
things, it happens.
Anyway, my Dad was cleaning out some things in the car, and Corky pulled his
usual 'trick' and hid under the passenger seat. He always did this and if he
got to go, then he'd be in wif his Dad. If it was hot or any other reason
for not taking him, he stayed home inside and was so well groomed and
vetted, religiously.

(Actually, I was passing thru on my move from Cal. to NJ, and we stopped
there for a week. I got him up on my lap, he knew me well, and let me
snuggle. I felt a matt. Now they'd only had the dog about 5 months, but the
poor thing was matted so badly I had to shave it to about an inch long. He
hid in embarrassment under the toilet, for 2 weeks, and had been taken to
the groomer after that, every two weeks! wry grin
They felt so bad, they had been just brushing the top coat. They learned and
he was well loved. I'm putting together a video of Corky, (yeah real stretch
for a Yorkie, eh? G), and have quite a bit when he was young, and always
trying to pull Rudy's leash and take him for a walk. Little buggar, I'd toss
a stick for Rudy, and Corky would go *flying* never letting go! It was one
of his favorite games with Rudy, aside from teasing him, chasing him,
nipping and getting him romping, then he'd immediately hide under the bed,
where Rudy wouldn't go.)

Anyway on Saturday my Dad left the windows down, and went in for a nap. They
found the poor little guy a couple of hours later, as Dad had thought he was
gone out with my Mom. And Mom had gone right out after that, thinking the
pup was downstairs with my Dad.

He was in his fave little hidey hole...still under the passenger seat, dead
from heat stroke!

PLEASE LET THIS SERVE AS A WARNING. So that his death be not in vain.

If it saves one pet from this then I'll be happy. Never leave your dogs in
the car, on a hot day.

I am heartbroken, as my parents are also. More so, I know.
They *are* getting on....and my sis and I are going to go thru rescue to
find another one. I had to talk her into this, even tho she's not putting a
penny into it! She's very good at spending others' $$ G
(This one was from a BYB, as an 8 week old pup, a good one but too hefty a
price, as they are in their mid to late 70's.) Sis has another small dog
that is in love , or rather *was* in love with Corky. So if my parents
aren't around my Sis would take the Yorkie if he/she outlasted my parents.
Another reason for an older dog.
My father is in such agony and guilt. He knew to never let Corky go with him
in the heat. He just didn't see him 'sneak' in while the door was open.
So we think a rescue, GIRL dog this time, *already housebroken*, (or close
enough for a Yorkie, g), will hopefully be amenable to my Dad. I'm paying
for it, no matter the cost, donation to whatever rescue, or any incurred CUR
costs. Just need to hear if he really would accept another dog, I know in my
heart he will, but mom is worried about a puppy, hence the age requirement
and the housebroken part.

If anyone knows of a 3-6 yr old Yorkie gal/guy, that is in rescue, let me
know. They are in Kansas, I'm in NJ, but I'm willing to play plane fare, and
if I have to go pick him/her up and take him/her to my Dad. Or even get a
CUR run for him/her, everyone taking a 'leg' of the trip.
So just waiting for Mom to let us know if he will want another dog now. That
little Yorkie had my Dad wrapped around his little teeny dew claw. He was
wracked with sobs and fell in the grave he was digging, until my nephew
offered to dig it.
My Dad has cried four times that I know of. Each time he lost one of his two
sons, (my brothers), and once while talking with me about some old stuff
when I was in college.

And now, about his beloved wee pal.
Anyway, thru my tears, (AGAIN), I'm asking for any contacts, for Yorkie
rescue, in Kansas, or in NJ, then I'll take the dog from here.

Thanks to all and any for your help, in advance,
MaryBeth

Rudy, 11 yo Golden Retriever, "My once in a lifetime soul-mate dog."
Ceilidh, 6 yo black field Labby gal "Put on earth to teach me tolerance and
patience, but is really 'Mommy's favorite girlygirl'"
Zack, 6 yo, 'wedoanknowutkinda' mix, black and a handful, scared of his own
farts, gets up and runs around the house. [Note: has been vetted and there
is no organic cause] Just the farts, and off he goes, scared to death
rolling eyes
Haggie, at the bridge, with her real first mom

You can send the info to my private e-mail so as not to block up the group.