incontinence in young spayed female

Old November 5th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

Default incontinence in young spayed female

I posted a while ago about Roxy's potential incontinence. Just as we ruled
out URI or crystals of any kind, the problem went away so we opted not to
do anything further. Well it's back, and I'm wondering if there are any
other medical conditions I should rule out before treating her for
incontinence.

I noticed she was dribbling a bit the other day, and just a few minutes
ago, she was laying on her bed next to me and I noticed a fresh pee puddle.
This is similar to how it was happening before, only I didn't notice the
dribbling. Everytime she leaked before, she was laying down (which is what
led my vet to suspect incontinence). The dribble happens when she is
moving around.

Roxy is just over a year old and was spayed by the Humane Society at a very
young age. She has no other health problems. Is there anything I should
rule out, or should I go ahead and treat her? I haven't discussed specific
drugs with the vet, but will. I just hate to have to give such a young dog
meds for what will be a very long time... On the other hand, pee smells!

Oh, and just to be clear, I don't say a thing to her about the pee when I
notice it. She obviously can't help it, poor little thing. I'm not even
sure she notices it.

--
Lynne
Old November 5th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 18:02:52 -0600, Lynne
wrote:

I noticed she was dribbling a bit the other day, and just a few minutes
ago, she was laying on her bed next to me and I noticed a fresh pee puddle.
This is similar to how it was happening before, only I didn't notice the
dribbling. Everytime she leaked before, she was laying down (which is what
led my vet to suspect incontinence). The dribble happens when she is
moving around.

My spay incontinent dog would leak most often when she was sitting on
a cushioned surface like a dog bed. When she was on a hard surface,
she was less likely to leave a puddle. Sometimes she would dribble,
but that was pretty much when she had had a lot to drink, not on a
regular basis. She could sometimes go without leaking for a while,
but I can't remember if there was anything that explained that. It
could just have been when she wasn't drinking much. She drank tons in
the summer, but not much in the winters. The first medication we used
did not help her at all. The second one did the trick, though.

By the way, in her case, she did know when she was leaking when it was
soaking her bed, though she didn't seem to know when she was dribbling
on the move. It distressed her to have pee in her bedding. She did
not like taking medication, but when it was an excuse to have a little
peanut butter sandwich (with the pill stuck inside), she didn't
complain. It was worth it to have her on medicine instead of peeing.
When she was old, her incontinence was uncontrollable. I washed a lot
of bedding and regulated where she could sit, cleaned a lot of
accidents up and didn't feel it was the end of the world, but I have
to say I would not have wanted to live that way her entire life. I'd
go ahead and try the incontinence meds if the vet feels other physical
causes have been ruled out.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old November 5th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:42:59 GMT, Paula ,
clicked their heels and said:

I'd
go ahead and try the incontinence meds if the vet feels other physical
causes have been ruled out.

Me too - that's what we did with Rudy and he's been leak free ever
since (except for a brief period when we tried to wean him off the
rug, by cutting to once per day - on day 10, he started leaking
again).

The Proin is not particularly expensive, no trouble, and it keeps the
pee under control. We have hard flooring, so it wasn't the end of the
world, but he would not even wake during it. He also used to FLOOD
his crate when I arrived home, if I didn't come in immediately. The
Proin stopped that.

--
Janet Boss
Old November 5th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:42:59 GMT, Paula wrote:

The first medication we used
did not help her at all. The second one did the trick, though.

What meds were those?

--
Lynne
Old November 5th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 07:43:28 -0600, Lynne
wrote:

on Sun, 05 Nov 2006 08:42:59 GMT, Paula wrote:

The first medication we used
did not help her at all. The second one did the trick, though.

What meds were those?

Don't remember the first one since we just tried it for a while years
ago. The one she was on for years was stilbestrol. I think that was
actually a short name for it. From what I remember, the first one we
tried would have been better in some way or another had it worked,
which is why it was tried first. It just didn't work for Diva for
whatever reason. In any event, I'd go with your vet's recommendation,
but don't give up if the first medication tried doesn't do the trick.
Just ask the vet about other alternatives.