Will tenant Dog scratch up Flooring? Lab/ Dalmation

Old August 21st 03, 05:15 PM
Suja

Default Will tenant Dog scratch up Flooring? Lab/ Dalmation

lbbs wrote:

We are considering renting to a couple with 50 lbs Lab -Dalmatian. They
say the dog is does not even know how to bark and is very tame. I a
concern that the dog will scratch up the vinyl tiles (are delicate) through
out the longs hallway, kitchen and dining room. If a part of the floor is
scratched up I basically have to re floor half of the upstairs, because I
can't find matching tiles anymore (bought 3 year ago). I am also
concern about the dog making too much noise, that could upset the basement
tenant. Anyone with experience with dogs & floors wear? I have never
had a dog, so I don't know what to expect. Any advise.

Do you know how old the dog is? A young, energetic puppy will cause
more wear on the flooring than an older, more sedate dog. Just based on
my experience (older, sedate 90 lb. dog) and that of a friend with a dog
who is highly active inside the house (young, 45 lb. dog), I'd say that
the vinyl floos have held up quite well. My floors are 3 years old, and
the floors in my friends' house are quite a bit older. I've scuffed the
vinyl more with being careless with furniture and formal shoes than my
dog ever has. Similar advice on potential noise problem. My quiet,
well behaved dog creates a whole lot less noise than my nephew, who is
19 months old. My friend's young, active dog is more noisy in the
house, because she runs around playing, and bumps into walls and
furniture.

I would suggest that you meet the dog, and verify the claim that he is
quiet and tame. Determine whether he acts as if he is well trained.
Check the references with their previous landlord, and maybe ask for a
refundable pet deposit if they're amenable to the idea.

Suja
Old August 21st 03, 08:00 PM
Marcel Beaudoin

"lbbs" wrote in
:

I am also
concern about the dog making too much noise, that could upset the
basement tenant.

Just to follow up on 55's comment about dog noise. Don't assume that the
larger the dog, the more noise. Small dogs can get a lot more speed in a
small space than large dogs can. We are in a 2 bedroom apartment, and
Moogli (10 lbs) has a *lot* of room to run in. He can turn a lot tighter
and go under couches and sofas while running. A bigger dog doesn't have
that problem. Small dogs can "launch" themselves off of a
sofa/couch/bed/chair and go a lot further (relatively) and with a lot more
speed than a large dog.

Marcel Beaudoin & Moogli

'PC! Politically Correct (or) Pure Crap!'

Old August 24th 03, 05:44 AM
Nomdeplume

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:52:10 -0400, "lbbs" wrote:

We are considering renting to a couple with 50 lbs Lab -Dalmatian. They
say the dog is does not even know how to bark and is very tame. I a
concern that the dog will scratch up the vinyl tiles (are delicate) through
out the longs hallway, kitchen and dining room. If a part of the floor is
scratched up I basically have to re floor half of the upstairs, because I
can't find matching tiles anymore (bought 3 year ago). I am also
concern about the dog making too much noise, that could upset the basement
tenant. Anyone with experience with dogs & floors wear? I have never
had a dog, so I don't know what to expect. Any advise.

I'd be more worried about the doors and door frames than the linoleum
or vinyl. The wear doesn't show up at first, but as time goes on,
the finished starts to show the scratch marks. If the dog's
toenails are properly trimmed, they should not touch the floor much
when walking. I'd ask to look at their current home. Only fair,
IMO.

Barking is a very individual thing. Some dogs bark a lot, some don't.
Size and breed don't matter, it is the individual.

.

Old August 24th 03, 08:42 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:52:10 -0400, "lbbs" wrote:

We are considering renting to a couple with 50 lbs Lab -Dalmatian. They
say the dog is does not even know how to bark and is very tame. I a
concern that the dog will scratch up the vinyl tiles (are delicate) through
out the longs hallway, kitchen and dining room. If a part of the floor is
scratched up I basically have to re floor half of the upstairs, because I
can't find matching tiles anymore (bought 3 year ago). I am also
concern about the dog making too much noise, that could upset the basement
tenant. Anyone with experience with dogs & floors wear? I have never
had a dog, so I don't know what to expect. Any advise.
.

HORK! That dog is gonna RIP through your cheap-ass vinyl floor. You
better practice up for small claims court!

I know your type, BTW -- you're the type who'd **** in a pan and dig
through it with a fork if you swallowed a tooth filling.

Charlie

Old August 27th 03, 04:11 AM
Rick A

One thing that I use in my house to keep the dogs from running around too
much ( I own 2 dogs 90 lbs and 50 lbs) is to keep the hardwood floors very
clean and polished. This eliminates running and quick cornering as soon as
they realize that the surface is slippery
"lbbs" wrote in message
[...]

they realize that the surface is slippery. They dont have to run to find
that out, just walking will give them the sense. A little Pledge doesn't
hurt either. We notice chasing , running and jumping around a lot is
signifigantly decreased after a floor shining session.

Rick

---