A dog & canine forum. DogBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DogBanter forum » Dog forums » Dog breeds
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

DO NOT BUY A BEARDED COLLIE! Our sad story

Old June 11th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default DO NOT BUY A BEARDED COLLIE! Our sad story

As a Beardie owner and lover I find your post distressing, to say the least.. These are the sweetest dogs you could ever hope for. They live to love and be loved. I have had the privilege of having 3 Beardies in my family, with my 14 year old boy recently crossing the Rainbow Bridge, and my 7 year old cuddly little girl still happy to snuggle with us, and meet and play with children and adults.

That said, Beardies are challenging as puppies and their puppy-hood lasts about 3 years - They can look at your shoes and think "smorgasbord" or find that jumping into your laundry hamper and eating your underwear a fun way to spend an afternoon. But they also love to play hide and seek, learn the names of all their toys and find fun games to play with you. If you laugh at something they do, they will do that the rest of their life, just to make you laugh.

You would have to work hard to make a Beardie aggressive and dangerous! And a small training class is not enough to make you a responsible Beardie owner. Since the class is the only example of training and socialization you provided, I have no way of knowing what other methods you employed to integrate the puppy into your family and environment. If their raucous behavior caused you stress, and if your "discipline" perhaps included beating or locking them in a cage, then perhaps you worked up to this behavior over a period of time. Even then, the most I would expect a true Beardie to do would be to try to find ways to please you, not turn viscous.

Given the tenor of your post, there seems like a lot is left out of your story. The fact that the breeder took the dog back from you says a lot about the breeder and their integrity. A good beardie breeder will never let a beardie remain with a home that cannot properly care for it, especially if it appears that they would rather kill the dog than nurture it. If they stopped talking with you it may be due to the nature of the talks they did have with you, and/or the fact that you engaged a lawyer.

Another item in your post also points to a reputable breeder, not a careless one. It sounds like the breeder is breeding with multiple reputable breeders around the country. This ensures varied blood lines, not inbreeding. It allows them to breed for temperament, breed out diseases, and breed to the AKC standards. My last 2 beardies came from a breeder that cross bred with other breeders not only in the US but also in Europe (our little girl came from Sweden). Their dogs achieved championships in various categories, and all their dogs have wonderful personalities and long, healthy lives.

In my opinion, based on experience as a long time Bearded Collie owner, it's not the breed or the breeder, it's the owner and the environment. Bearded Collies are warm, loving and fun loving creatures that bring warmth and joy to families. It is unfortunate that you were given a dog you were not prepared to handle - Bearded Collies are not the right fit for you and your family, and I am delighted to hear that the breeder took the dog back. Hopefully the dog is in a new forever home with a family that will take good care of her.

On Friday, March 15, 2002 at 10:10:14 AM UTC-5, Dave McKay wrote:
Our tale of sadness of being a Bearded Collie owner

Hello.

Our names are Suzanne and David McKay. We live in West Chester, Pa, and
have 4 children and a Shetland Sheepdog and 3 cats. In the spring of 2000,
we purchased a Beardie pup from Kiltie Kennels, also in Pa. . We paid $800.