Choosing what breed is "best" for us

Old July 1st 03, 03:23 PM
culprit

"Tara O." wrote in message
I'd recommend looking over the different breeds at www.akc.org and making

list of those that appeal to you based on the limited info the AKC gives.
Then go to the internet and do individual searches for those breeds,

paying
close attention to rescue websites (I find they give you more of the
information you'd look for as a pet owner) and some breeder sites. Doing
this will help you to narrow down your list further.

then once you think you have narrowed it down a bit, go to a dog show, and
meet the dogs first hand. most handlers will let you "say hello" to their
dogs if you ask first. there are also usually breed rescue and club booths
at larger dog shows.

-kelly

Old July 1st 03, 03:29 PM
Tara O.

Default Choosing what breed is "best" for us

"Serge Ayotte" wrote in message
For many years, I have wanted a dog, but considering that I lived in
apartments, with very limited backyard, I did not really pursue the
matter.

But now, being the owner of a house, I have a nice backyard (fenced
soon), I am starting to seriously look into getting a dog.

I have had pet (indoor cats and have one now) before, and never where
they given away or put to sleep because I did not care for them or
didn't want them anymore, but I don't want to find myself with a breed
of dog that I could not take good care for.

My preferences are more toward labrador/retreiver size, and nothing in
the "pocket size" types, but not knowing enough about the different
breeds, maybe something else could fit me.

How would you suggest a "newbie" to the dog world, start looking to
match to himself and his lifestyle the new pet?

Thank you for all pointer and information you could provide me with!

I'd recommend looking over the different breeds at www.akc.org and making a

--
Tara

Old July 2nd 03, 03:53 AM
Andrea

"culprit" wrote
snip
then once you think you have narrowed it down a bit, go to a dog show, and
meet the dogs first hand.

Good advice so far. I suggest you make a list of things you see yourself
doing with your dog.

Do you see yourself playing fetch? Hiking and jogging with him? Sacking out
in front of the TV? All of the above?

What sort of behavior and temperament are you looking for? Do you want a dog
that likes to be "in on the action" all the time or would you prefer a laid
back, relaxed dog? Do you want one that is interested in pleasing you, or
one that has its own agenda but loves you anyway? High energy or couch
potato?

What kind of grooming or clean up are you willing to do? Will tumble weeds
of hair bother you? What about little short hairs that work their way into
every fabric? Or possibly a trip to the groomers every 8 weeks? Drool? Doggy
odor?

Just a few things to jot down before looking at various breeds.

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis