Dew claws and Corgy genetics

Old August 24th 03, 06:53 AM
Katra

Default Dew claws and Corgy genetics

Hey!

Not been too active on this group lately, but if y'all don't mind, I
have a question... :-)

Willow was playing growly in my lap earlier tonight, and I noted that he
had dew claws (thumbs) on his back paws...

Willow is a Welsh Corgy/Sheltie cross, or so we assume. He is a stray so
we really don't know his background... His appearance suggests that and
my vet agrees. He looks like a black and white Sheltie with short legs
and a foxy face.

None of our other three dogs have a dew claw on their back feet. Two are
pure bred Shelties and the other is a Border Collie. All three of them
only have 4 toes on the rear paws. My Australian Shepard that passed
away in April also only had 4 rear toes.

Just curious, is this a genetic trait of Corgies?

Thanks!
K.

--
^,,^ Cats-haven Hobby Farm ^,,^ ^,,^

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
Old August 24th 03, 03:08 PM

Abby Pennington wrote in message ...
Katra wrote in
:

Just curious, is this a genetic trait of Corgies?

I have never heard of a Corgi having rear dewclaws, tho I suppose it could
happen. Do you have any pictures of him?

No, no digital camera. :-)
I'll buy one one of these days.
I suppose a jpeg post would help....

Are there any dogs that genetically have a rear dewclaw???
That might help us pinpoint his breed better, not that it matters. G
Willow is a wonderful little dog that was dumped off out on desert
ranchland in Burnett a few years ago. After 3 or 4 months, Janet took pity
on him and I adopted him from her.

I don't know a lot about corgies. :-)

Thanks!
K.

Old August 24th 03, 09:44 PM
Shelly & The Boys

wrote in message
om...
Abby Pennington wrote in message

Katra wrote in
:

Just curious, is this a genetic trait of Corgies?

I have never heard of a Corgi having rear dewclaws, tho I suppose it

could
happen. Do you have any pictures of him?

No, no digital camera. :-)
I'll buy one one of these days.
I suppose a jpeg post would help....

Are there any dogs that genetically have a rear dewclaw???
That might help us pinpoint his breed better, not that it matters. G
Willow is a wonderful little dog that was dumped off out on desert
ranchland in Burnett a few years ago. After 3 or 4 months, Janet took pity
on him and I adopted him from her.

I don't know a lot about corgies. :-)

Many dogs are born with rear dew-claws, but their breeders have
them snipped off when they are only days old. Yes, even on
mixed-breeds. I am uncertain about my own boy, but I know that
there was at least one puppy in the litter (of nine) that was born
w/ rear dew-claws, since I remember the breeder telling me about
having to take them in for removal. I've seen a litter of Sheltie
babies brought into our clinic for d-c removal, as well as Aussies,
ACDs, and several other breeds as well.
There are a few breeds were rear d-c's are *required* for the show-ring,
AKC breeds that come to mind are Briards & Great Pyrs (both
should have double dew-claws, IIRC).
Shelly & The Boys

Old August 25th 03, 05:51 AM
Abby Pennington

"Shelly & The Boys" wrote in
:

And a funny note on polydactyl cats. Whenever we get one surrendered
to the clinic, my vet (the one the Boys see most) always ends up
keeping them. She's got a soft spot for them, and currently has
4 or 5 of them!

One of the former techs at the ER where I work used to say, "You know
what's really funny? Putting polydactyl cats on carpet and then scaring
the crap out of them--they get stuck!" g She never hurt the cats, but
the mental image is really funny, I do have to admit.

--
-Abby

Pems, Aussie, and a Pug

****Remove shoes to reply****