how to get oil off a dogs coat ?

Old December 23rd 05, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default how to get oil off a dogs coat ?

My small dog got under the car and rolled in some motor oil. How can i
get it off of him without harming him ?
anyone know ?
desperate, wife will kill me !
Old December 23rd 05, 10:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Drsativa wrote:
My small dog got under the car and rolled in some motor oil. How can i
get it off of him without harming him ?
anyone know ?
desperate, wife will kill me !

I'd use whatever the UK version of Dawn Dishwashing liquid might be
(grease-cutting liquid dish soap for washing by hand - NOT automatic
dishwasher detergent). You need to get him into a tub and cleaned up
pronto, before he ingests it by licking. The Dawn should do a pretty
good job of getting him cleaned up, but you may have to lather, rinse
and repeat. And it will leave his skin and fur dry. You'll want to
apply a conditioner afer he's good and clean.

Kathleen

Old December 23rd 05, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Kathleen" wrote in message
Drsativa wrote:
My small dog got under the car and rolled in some motor oil. How can i
get it off of him without harming him ?
anyone know ?
desperate, wife will kill me !

I'd use whatever the UK version of Dawn Dishwashing liquid might be
(grease-cutting liquid dish soap for washing by hand - NOT automatic
dishwasher detergent). You need to get him into a tub and cleaned up
pronto, before he ingests it by licking. The Dawn should do a pretty
good job of getting him cleaned up, but you may have to lather, rinse
and repeat. And it will leave his skin and fur dry. You'll want to
apply a conditioner afer he's good and clean.

Kathleen

Thanks for the answer i will try your suggestion.

Old January 7th 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Kathleen" wrote in message
Drsativa wrote:
My small dog got under the car and rolled in some motor oil. How can i
get it off of him without harming him ?
anyone know ?
desperate, wife will kill me !

I'd use whatever the UK version of Dawn Dishwashing liquid might be
(grease-cutting liquid dish soap for washing by hand - NOT automatic
dishwasher detergent). You need to get him into a tub and cleaned up
pronto, before he ingests it by licking. The Dawn should do a pretty
good job of getting him cleaned up, but you may have to lather, rinse
and repeat. And it will leave his skin and fur dry. You'll want to
apply a conditioner afer he's good and clean.

Kathleen

Thanks the dishwashing liquid worked great. It got 98% of the oil out of the
dogs coat (Shih Tzu)

Old January 6th 06, 12:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Drsativa" wrote in message
My small dog got under the car and rolled in some motor oil. How can i
get it off of him without harming him ?
anyone know ?
desperate, wife will kill me !

The best way to get oil off a dogs coat is to use oil. Olive oil or
sunflower oil will help break up the molecules of the grease or oil, then
use standard dog shampoo to was the whole mess away. It can often take
several attempts, but it does work and it is kind to the dogs skin.

By the way, it works on humans too. If you've ever been on the beach and get
that horrible crude on your feet. Rub some suntan lotion into the crude and
then rub the whole lot off with sand. I works a treat.

Kenny