Torn dew claw

Old September 24th 06, 06:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
DeeDee

Default Torn dew claw

Hi all, I took my Terrier/Chihuahua mix Mimi to the groomers today to
have her claws trimmed. I suggested to the groomer that Mimi be
muzzled as I was worried that she may bite as she HATES going there,
even though I trust the groomers will do a great job. Once the muzzle
was put on, Mimi frantically tried to get it off and inadvertently tore
off her dew claw. They treated it and once I got home, gave Mimi half
a baby aspirin for pain. This is the 2nd time this year she has torn
off her dew claw. Has anyone else had any problems with their dogs
tearing their dew claws off more than once? Anyone ever have the dew
claws surgically removed to prevent future injuries? Thanks.

Old September 24th 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"DeeDee" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all, I took my Terrier/Chihuahua mix Mimi to the groomers today to
have her claws trimmed. I suggested to the groomer that Mimi be
muzzled as I was worried that she may bite as she HATES going there,
even though I trust the groomers will do a great job. Once the muzzle
was put on, Mimi frantically tried to get it off and inadvertently tore
off her dew claw. They treated it and once I got home, gave Mimi half
a baby aspirin for pain. This is the 2nd time this year she has torn
off her dew claw. Has anyone else had any problems with their dogs
tearing their dew claws off more than once? Anyone ever have the dew
claws surgically removed to prevent future injuries? Thanks.

========
Yes, My Rotty's dew claws were removed. I think it is best to remove them
as they catch on to everything and tear and then bleed and possibly become
infected if torn open. I was not the one who had it done, however, the
Rotty Rescue wanted it done and they also paid to do it. So, before
ownership papers were exchanged, I had to take her to their vet to have it
done.

Old September 24th 06, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article t,
pfoley wrote:
Yes, My Rotty's dew claws were removed. I think it is best to remove them
as they catch on to everything and tear and then bleed and possibly become
infected if torn open.

??? Could this be related to your grooming habits? I've
never had a dewclaw tear on any of my dogs. I've had
dewclaws removed when they weren't attached (i.e. when it
was just the skin attaching them to the leg, and they were
floppy as a result), but otherwise tend to leave them as
they were when I acquired the dog. My vet said that she
will not remove them unless there's a problem, since it's
basically cosmetic surgery otherwise, and not trivial for
the dog.

Mushers routinely remove dewclaws when the puppies are a few
days old. The issue there is not that the dewclaws catch
and tear, but that pressure from booties pushes the dewclaw
against the leg, and sores tend to develop under the dewclaw
as a result. Three of my dogs have no dewclaws as a
result. The other four do, and all of the dogs I've had in
the past have had them as well.

Better hygiene, dude.

Old September 24th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article t,
pfoley wrote:
[...]

====
Sorry, don't know what you are talking about. I did not remove the dew
claws, the Rottweiler Rescue had them removed. The vet said people have
them removed because they catch onto things and tear and bleed, thus many
times become infected. This was a good thing, and not done by me. It was
done while being handed over to me by the Rotty Rescue group, and they
wanted it done. I never asked them to do it or pay for it; they wanted it
done. My dog has excellent care all year long.

Old September 24th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article et,
pfoley wrote:
The vet said people have
them removed because they catch onto things and tear and bleed, thus many
times become infected.

I've heard of it happening, although it's never happened to
me, but it seems to be rather rare. The dogs most
susceptible to it are those with detached dewclaws, which
should be removed. You suggested that it's a common
problem, which it's certainly not.

In your writing you're quite prone to using absolutes and
universals when it's not warranted. It's why you're
frequently incorrect on your facts. Hedging your statements
would improve their accuracy.

Old September 24th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

pfoley wrote:
The vet said people have
them removed because they catch onto things and tear and bleed, thus many
times become infected.

I've heard of it happening, although it's never happened to
me, but it seems to be rather rare. The dogs most
susceptible to it are those with detached dewclaws, which
should be removed. You suggested that it's a common
problem, which it's certainly not.

In your writing you're quite prone to using absolutes and
universals when it's not warranted. It's why you're
frequently incorrect on your facts. Hedging your statements
would improve their accuracy.

======
The vet told me that stuff; I did not take her to the vet to have them
removed. The Rescue group told me to do it. I complied and asked the vet
why it had to be done.
Some people also have it done for cosmetic reasons. But, this was done to
prevent tears.
I am sorry you do not like my responses.

Old October 1st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy

in thread ups.com:
"DeeDee" whittled the following words:

Hi all, I took my Terrier/Chihuahua mix Mimi to the groomers today to
have her claws trimmed. I suggested to the groomer that Mimi be
muzzled as I was worried that she may bite as she HATES going there,
even though I trust the groomers will do a great job. Once the muzzle
was put on, Mimi frantically tried to get it off and inadvertently tore
off her dew claw. They treated it and once I got home, gave Mimi half
a baby aspirin for pain. This is the 2nd time this year she has torn
off her dew claw. Has anyone else had any problems with their dogs
tearing their dew claws off more than once? Anyone ever have the dew
claws surgically removed to prevent future injuries? Thanks.

Since the dog has a history of tearing it two times in a single year, your
dog obviously participates inactivities that put it at risk and the
dewclaw construction is such that it's likely to catch and tear.

It seems that rather than risk painful tears and healing periods, Dew
Claw removal would be prudent in this case. Humane amputation under
anesthesia followed with painkillers seems far kinder that subjecting her
to repeated tears.

Torn ACL in Airedale ldg38 Dog health 4 July 10th 06 03:30 PM
torn ACL [email protected] Dog health 2 May 7th 06 05:15 PM
torn ligament ???? [email protected] Dog health 4 February 13th 06 12:58 AM
Badly torn toenail Tracy Custer Dog health 2 January 23rd 05 02:12 AM
Bleeding claw montana Dog health 1 December 4th 03 04:21 PM