"..."unique' value to the owner"

Old February 25th 04, 03:46 AM

Tee wrote:
However the con is that precedent is now
set for high-dollar lawsuits across the country. Guess what happens when
doctors & vets get sued? Insurance premiums go up (and generally they go up
*alot*) and the increased cost gets passed to the consumer.

The lawsuits that tend to incur huge costs are mass tort
suits, which the one described certainly is not (nor would
compensation for the death of any pet be). Also, the reason
that insurance costs took such a huge jump several years ago
was not because of losses from lawsuits but because
insurance companies were being bloodied in the stock market,
along with the rest of us, when it tanked in 2000. That's
where they make their money - investment.

I hate to come down on the side of lawyers (you have no idea
how much), but it's increasingly the case that we're having
to rely on civil law to protect us against charlatans,
frauds, and outright thieves.

The median tax cut for 2003 is $470.

Old February 25th 04, 04:15 AM
sighthounds etc.

On 24 Feb 2004 21:46:16 -0500, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

In article ,
Tee wrote:
[...]

I beg to differ with you here. I've worked in the medical malpractice
defense field for over 20 years, I'm here to tell you that lawsuits
and jury verdicts are a *major* part of the reason medical costs are
as high as they are. Medical malpractice premiums for OB/GYNs, in
particular, is astronomical. Those costs are definitely reflected in
costs to the consumer.

Mistakes are made in medicine, as in any other profession where human
beings are involved, on a daily basis. Most are harmless. When
people are injured due to medical professionals' negligence, they
should be compensated. You might be surprised, however, at the volume
of frivolous lawsuits. People seem to have the idea in this country
that any time something bad happens to them, they should get money.

Mustang Sally

Old February 25th 04, 05:36 AM
Chris

Is the implication that another
veterinarian could have treated the dog
and saved the dog's life?

I can't answer that, Lia. Although the suit has been talked about (in
part because of the owner's willingness to pursue the case whatever the
cost), I haven't read details of the testimony.
That hospital has been sued a lot. Is that the case of all of them
.... and you just don't hear about it?