"Alternative" Methods to teaching Heel

Old June 9th 04, 12:11 PM
C.L.

Default "Alternative" Methods to teaching Heel

Anyone come up with any clever way to teach a dog to walk on a loose lead? I
know the "classics" and they're working alright, but I've always had the
most success with methods that are slightly . . .. unorthodox. And I'm sure
if someone successfully came up with a creative way to train their dog this,
they're dying to brag.

Old June 9th 04, 12:32 PM
Julia Altshuler

C.L. wrote:
Anyone come up with any clever way to teach a dog to walk on a loose lead? I
know the "classics" and they're working alright, but I've always had the
most success with methods that are slightly unorthodox. And I'm sure
if someone successfully came up with a creative way to train their dog this,
they're dying to brag.

I'm not sure if this is a classic. I sure didn't invent it myself. If
you clicker train your dog gently to poke your left leg with his nose,
it is easy to take a step and keep your dog's nose at level with your
left leg on a loose leash. Then you walk or run, and your dog's nose
stays near your leg.

--Lia

Old June 9th 04, 01:15 PM
Robin Nuttall

C.L. wrote:
Anyone come up with any clever way to teach a dog to walk on a loose lead? I
know the "classics" and they're working alright, but I've always had the
most success with methods that are slightly . . .. unorthodox. And I'm sure
if someone successfully came up with a creative way to train their dog this,
they're dying to brag.

Lots of ways. You can use a clicker and simply click when the dog is in
heel position, making your first definition broad (anywhere on my left
side) then narrowing it to a specific position.

You can also use drive training--get the dog very excited over a toy and
put the toy on your left shoulder or under your left arm--when dog is on
left side, drop toy, then again, start narrowing your criteria.

I haven't yanked a dog into heel position for years.

Old June 9th 04, 03:16 PM
Sitmeanssit

Anyone come up with any clever way to teach a dog to walk on a loose lead?

Here is an article.

Teaching 'Attention' Heeling With an Electronic Collar
By Fred Hassen, Trainer at "Sit Means Sit" Dog Training

In this article, I will go over some steps in teaching 'attention' heeling with
an electronic collar. If you are not familiar with an electronic collar, or
it's operation, I would suggest that you attend a Tritronics seminar, or one
given by someone on their professional staff.

People are constantly wondering how you can teach stuff like this in its
infancy stages without a negative association to the electric collar. I want to
make it clear that most of the high-tech collars that Tritronics makes are
adjustable to suit the dog's temperament. They can be adjusted lower than most
dogs can even perceive. The easiest way to start this, is to kneel down next to
the dog with a food treat in your mouth. When the dog is looking away, lightly
tap him with the collar until he looks at you, then give him the hotdog. If you
have a problem with the dog taking food from your mouth, or he's a little
rough, you can put your hand in front of your mouth with the hotdog or treat in
it. The purpose of the kneeling, is that it simplifies the dog looking at you
at this early stage---since you are down to his level. I would not give any
command at this point. The reason for no command, is that the dog does not
understand the collar yet, and has not had enough repetitions to link the
"tapping" to the treat. We are trying to elicit from the dog, the motion of
turning to look up at you when he feels the tap. In other words, 'tap' means
'look up at me cause there is food up here', and then you will verify it every
time. If the dog is not looking at you, continue the tapping (low level 'nicks'
of the collar are preferable).

Only the act of looking up at you, will make the 'nicks' cease, and the dog
will be instantly rewarded with the treat. You can slowly raise yourself from
the kneeling position, until the dog still associates the 'nick' with looking
at you while you are standing, then you can cease the kneeling altogether. I
would then start challenging the dog by 'nicking' at various times when he is
not expecting it, and seeing that he knows to look up at you to shut off the
'nick', and get his treat.

Another good way to introduce this is to pack the dog's dry food kibbles that
are going to be his allowance at that meal, and take him for a walk. You can
periodically tap him along the way, and as he looks up at you, give him a
portion until he has had all of his meals worth. He will soon be looking
forward to the tapping. Because of the distraction outside, you may find
yourself going up a few notches because of the added excitement of the outside
environment. The level that was working in the house may be completely
ineffective outside, so you have to adjust accordingly.

When your dog starts showing that he understands the tapping, and is looking up
when it occurs on a consistent basis, I would then overlay the "heel" or
"foos", or whatever command at that time. You do not want the dog thinking that
"heel" means, "look around and try to figure out with that strange tapping is".

The beauty of the collar is that you can completely disassociate yourself from
the tapping, and when the dog is confused-----rather than a leash tug, you can
happily get his attention back to you with whatever body language is needed.
Your dog will soon know that the tapping is not just a random act, and that he,
and he alone is responsible for controlling it. The timing that you can achieve
with the collar is virtually unmatched in other methods.

Your dog has now had nothing but a pleasant beginning association with the
electronic collar. You will soon see that dog's tail wagging like crazy when he
feels that tap. We now want to establish habit with that behavior. The dog now
has a choice, and will learn more responsibility with his behavior. Also, I
would further add learning to this by establishing the dog maintain the 'heel'
position while you are stationary. In other words, while standing completely
still, you should be able to say "heel" and the dog's head come right up into
looking at you. You may not be moving, but it's still a 'heel' position. As the
dog looks away, tap him with the collar until he's back into position, then
shut the tapping off and immediately replace it with 'good heel'. If he turns
away, discontinue the praise, apply the tapping and praise verbally with a
'good heel' as he comes back. This will continue while walking.

Remember that the collar is doing a lot of work for you, so it is totally
inappropriate for you to ever have to raise your voice while using an
electronic collar. Yelling should not have more meaning of a command, than it
would in a regular tone. The electronic collar gives us the unique ability of
raising the level of the collar to match the situation, while we remain the
good guy at all times. This is a good initiation to the electric collar.