how much water does a dog drink per day?

Old September 27th 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

Default how much water does a dog drink per day?

I'm working on a disaster preparedness planning project for a member of
ours - trying to build a supply spreadsheet. They want to know how much per
day they'd need of certain things and have considered that the families who
come will bring their animals.

so how much water per day does a dog drink, on average. Obviously it
varies -so we will estimate on the high side. But how much?

Old September 27th 07, 10:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
BethInAK wrote:
so how much water per day does a dog drink, on average. Obviously it
varies -so we will estimate on the high side. But how much?

~1 cup per 10lbs.

Old September 27th 07, 11:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
BethInAK wrote:
so how much water per day does a dog drink, on average. Obviously it
varies -so we will estimate on the high side. But how much?

~1 cup per 10lbs.

cool thanks!

Old September 27th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
BethInAK wrote:
cool thanks!

You're welcome, and while I think I'm right it's probably
not a great idea to take the idea of some random schmuck on
the Intertubes [Ted Stevens - hee hee hee (couldn't happen
to a nicer SOB)]. Double-check with your vet.

Old September 27th 07, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"BethInAK" wrote in message:

so how much water per day does a dog drink, on average. Obviously it
varies -so we will estimate on the high side. But how much?

One cup per 10 pounds of body weight is the rule of thumb. But, I'm also
thinking that there has to be another question, which is how much water a
dog absolutely needs to stay alive in survival situations.

Also, would it be an option to add water purification tablets as an item?
More expensive than bottled water probably, but more portable and compact.

Suja

Old September 27th 07, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

"BethInAK" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I'm working on a disaster preparedness planning project for a member of
ours - trying to build a supply spreadsheet. They want to know how much
per day they'd need of certain things and have considered that the
families who come will bring their animals.

so how much water per day does a dog drink, on average. Obviously it
varies -so we will estimate on the high side. But how much?

I have three dogs. 2 Elkhounds and one beagle, totalling 120 pounds. All
three drink 1 quart of water a day out of the communal water bucket
Old September 27th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article , diddy none
wrote:

so how much water per day does a dog drink, on average. Obviously it
varies -so we will estimate on the high side. But how much?

I have three dogs. 2 Elkhounds and one beagle, totalling 120 pounds. All
three drink 1 quart of water a day out of the communal water bucket

I haven't figured it out. We have a 5 gallon waterer, plus auto water
for when we're outside. We were going through the 5 gallons in anywhere
from 3 days to a week (3 dogs, 2 cats). With just 2 dogs and 2 cats, it
has been slower, but I am honestly not sure how much. Hard to tell when
so many animals share the same water. I only worry if I notice one
seems to be at the water bowl more frequently than average.

--
Janet Boss
Old September 28th 07, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

"montana wildhack" wrote in message
FEMA has some great info on disaster preparedness.

Here's one good link (that leads to others) which you may have already
seen:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/library/w...702a.htm#ready

I have the FEMA recommendations - they dont' include dog water
recommendations.

Old September 28th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:51:56 -0800, "BethInAK"
wrote:

I'm working on a disaster preparedness planning project for a member of
ours - trying to build a supply spreadsheet. They want to know how much per
day they'd need of certain things and have considered that the families who
come will bring their animals.

so how much water per day does a dog drink, on average. Obviously it
varies -so we will estimate on the high side. But how much?

"A rough estimate of the maintenance requirement for the dog is
approximately 1 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day."

http://extension.missouri.edu/explor...ets/g09920.htm

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

What Made Chavez Possible?
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=092407A

Pathetic.
http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...djYzRmNjFhYzE=

"Idiots are now convinced that Dubya doesn’t know Nelson Mandela is still alive"
"What has in fact died, and what a miserable, stinking death it was, is real intellectual rigor on the idiot left."
http://timblair.net/ee/index.php/web...he_television/

"At Ahmadinejad's speech, every vicious anti-Western civilization remark was cheered wildly.
It was like watching an episode of HBO's 'Real Time With Bill Maher.'"
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=22596

Columbia’s Squalid Mistake - Academia's Ugly Blindness.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/09252007...id_mistake.htm

"Al Qaeda Lost"
http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/001519.html

Israel captured nuke materials in Syria!
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/webl..._in_Syria&only

George Soros: The man behind the "reality-based" community.
http://www.investors.com/editorial/e...75181103776079

The Soros Threat To Democracy
http://www.investors.com/editorial/e...75526219598836
Old September 28th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
BethInAK

wrote:

I'm working on a disaster preparedness planning project for a member of
ours - trying to build a supply spreadsheet. They want to know how much
per
day they'd need of certain things and have considered that the families
who
come will bring their animals.

so how much water per day does a dog drink, on average. Obviously it
varies -so we will estimate on the high side. But how much?

"A rough estimate of the maintenance requirement for the dog is
approximately 1 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day."

http://extension.missouri.edu/explor...ets/g09920.htm

so now I need to estimate the average weight of dogs.

Any idea?