Will a bobcat eat my dog?

Old August 17th 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
James Swan

Default Will a bobcat eat my dog?

I just bought a house in Florida and was going to put up a fence for
my 45 lb Irish Terrier. Well the neighbors have been telling me they
have seen 2 bobcats (a mother and a fully grown cub) hunting squirrels
in the backyard. One of the neighbors told me he doesn't think a
bobcat would think twice about killing a dog, but I'm not convinced.
Anyone know the true facts?

THANKS for any responses.
~James
Old August 17th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Rocky[_2_]

James Swan said in rec.pets.dogs.misc:

I just bought a house in Florida and was going to put up a
fence for my 45 lb Irish Terrier. Well the neighbors have
been telling me they have seen 2 bobcats (a mother and a
fully grown cub) hunting squirrels in the backyard. One of
the neighbors told me he doesn't think a bobcat would think
twice about killing a dog, but I'm not convinced. Anyone
know the true facts?

An Irish Terrier is about the same size as a Bobcat, so I doubt
the cat would treat it as prey, though when its cub is around,
who knows? If you have plenty of squirrels and other smaller
prey, it's unlikely the Bobcat would look at your dog as a meal
source.

Old August 17th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
James Swan

--
--Matt. *Rocky's a Dog.

Thanks for the tip Rocky, thats what I was thinking. Not to mention
if he actually ever saw it, he would probably bark his head off at it
and make it run away. Now the cat my roommate was thinking about
getting is another story.
Old August 17th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Spot[_2_]

Any way you look at it I certainly would not let the dog out alone. If the
cats hungry enough or feels threatened it will attach regardless of the
size.

Celeste