Dachshunds - Min Longhair or Shorthair

Old July 12th 05, 11:08 AM
Greg

Default Dachshunds - Min Longhair or Shorthair

I am receiving & reading conflicting info about differences in temperament
between long & shorthair dachshunds. The general consensus is that
longhaired are generally more docile and friendly towards other dogs and
people.

Also, are dachsies aloof to their owners as a rule?

Old July 12th 05, 05:05 PM
Rocky

Greg said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I am receiving & reading conflicting info about differences
in temperament between long & shorthair dachshunds. The
general consensus is that longhaired are generally more
docile and friendly towards other dogs and people.

Interesting - the above goes against my "Theory of Popular
Varieties." In a nutshell, my theory presupposes that people
generally remember "bad" and forget "good." When a breed has
more than one variety and one of those varieties is the least
common, all it takes is one incidence of "bad" in the least
common to label that variety as bad. Now that I write it down,
it sounds like a pile of horse pucky. Methinks that I should
refine my theory before trying to publish.

The other aspect to my theory is that breeders who breed only
for one characteristic (like an uncommon colour) tend to forget
about other genetic traits like health and temperament. This is
more likely.

As to why the less common longhaired Dachshund may be mellower
than the smooth variety, are smooth Dachshunds used more for
working than the longhaired or wirehaired? Breeds closer to
their working lines tend to be less mellow than their non-
working line cousins.

Old July 16th 05, 11:59 PM
kayalwin

Greg wrote:
I am receiving & reading conflicting info about differences in temperament
between long & shorthair dachshunds. The general consensus is that
longhaired are generally more docile and friendly towards other dogs and
people.

Also, are dachsies aloof to their owners as a rule?

Dear Greg,
I don't think there is a difference between the two, long
haired and short haired.

My sister has three long hair dachshunds that are the
sweetest dogs around, but when a
stranger comes around. Watch your feet! And make friends
quickly.

I myself own two short haired dachshunds. Also the sweetest
things around.
Very territorial just like my sister's dogs, but friendly.
When I first moved into my
apartment, the maintenance men wouldn't come in. My older
doxie has a deep bark
and he thought I had a monster dog in the apartment. Now
he's not scared to come in.
And he knows if he wants to leave the apartment when he's
done with the repair work,
he must toss a treat to the dogs opposite to the direction
he wants to leave or they
won't let him go without a few minutes of playtime.

Any dog can be friendly and docile if they are properly
handled when they are newborns.
If you touch and caress and rub tummies and fondle the
newborns, they are more
likely to be more tolerant as they grow older than if you
don't handle the pups.

For example...
I have two. One breeder handled the pup constantly, turning
her on her back to rub
tummy and get her accustomed to being handled. Angel is now
10 and I can brush
her and cut her nails and check her teeth and put drops in
her ears, etc.

The younger one was bought from a person who's doxies had
pups. But the owner
wasn't home during the day and the pups didn't get a lot of
personal attention from
a human. Penny is now 4 and very skittish when trying to
perform the same tasks.

MY opinion is that any dog can be docile and friendly if
handled properly from the
time they are born.

K Winter
Old October 24th 11, 06:08 PM
Anna Nichols Anna Nichols is offline
Junior Member

Location: Greenville
Smile

I have a 2 1/2 year old male standerd short hair and he IS SPOILED. But to this the afect of it is a whiny,barking,howling big baby when crated,He is very stuborn but a very loving dog.

dachshunds Jimmy Clay Dog breeds 3 November 2nd 11 03:04 AM
Some Amazing Facts About Training Dachshunds rocknrollover.com Dog behavior 4 October 7th 04 04:02 PM
Some Amazing Facts About Training Dachshunds rocknrollover.com Dog activities 1 October 7th 04 03:23 PM
Some Amazing Facts About Training Dachshunds rocknrollover.com Dog behavior 0 October 7th 04 02:23 PM
Some Amazing Facts About Training Dachshunds rocknrollover.com Dog behavior 0 October 7th 04 02:23 PM