Fleas!

Old July 29th 03, 06:49 PM
Kenny

Default Fleas!

Not directly about dog's health but can anyone offer advice about getting
rid of an infestation of fleas in the home?

--

Kenny

Old July 29th 03, 08:40 PM
ZPL

Do have a dog / cat, or just the fleas? (Moved into a home that had a
problem before you got there?)

If you have an animal - pick up Frontline or Advantage from your vet or
where ever. May take awhile, but they will eventually die. Throw a flea
collar in the vacuum bag, and throw the bag away after every vacuuming.
Daitomaceous earth and boric acid mixture spread on the carpets is generally
considered safe, even for chemical conscious people.

No animals - well - if it is really bad, clear everyone out for at least a
day and bomb the place. The cheapest, easiest store bought bomb I have
found is the Raid Fumigator. It is not a fogger, but is a "heavy" mixture
that starts from the bottom of the room up. The permethrins are pretty good
on fleas. However, this will need to be repeated as much as every week for
a month or more until they and their eggs are gone.

Old July 29th 03, 10:34 PM
Kenny

Seems Raid Fumigator isn't available here in the UK. It's my daughter's
house, no pets, and so bad she's had to move out!

--

Kenny

. ..

Old July 29th 03, 11:10 PM
ZPL

I'll bet she's taken some with her, too.

Permethrin.

She may just want to put all of her stuff in a storage building and let an
exterminator throw everything at it.

"Kenny" wrote in message
Seems Raid Fumigator isn't available here in the UK. It's my daughter's
house, no pets, and so bad she's had to move out!

--

Kenny

. ..

Old July 30th 03, 02:40 AM
Rocky

Kenny said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Seems Raid Fumigator isn't available here in the UK.

None of the fumigator type insecticides are available in Canada,
either.

Old August 1st 03, 06:31 AM
Jo Wolf

Do you have insect.pest exterminator companies in the UK? The kind that
come in and apply professional level chemicals for insect control?
There are compounds that not only kill the adult insects, but prevent
the larvae and eggs from developing further or sterilizes them.....
Much more effective than chemicals we can buy in the stores.... This
would be the approach I'd take, if it's available.

Otherwise, I'd use the boric acid sprinkled into the rugs /carpets, and
along base boards and on throw rugs in rooms without carpeting. Brush
in with a broom.

On the same day the house is treated, I'd treat the car with a spray or
the boric acid, and treat the garden with a spray on chemical or
granules to reduce the fleas carried inside.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia