dead fish smell

Old August 1st 03, 06:54 AM
Jason Wong

Thank you so much for all the kind replies. I took my little Billy
(yes, it's a girl!) to see the vet right away and he was proud of me
for self-diagnosing her as having a vaginal infection. I didn't
bother to mention that half a dozen people told me that on the
internet... ;-)

He diagnosed this by taking a swab from inside her vagina, to which
Billy shrieked in pain. My vet said that indicates she sore in there,
because that shouldn't hurt. He then smeared the swab onto a slide
and showed me the results under the microscope. Lots of neutrophils
surrounding epithelial cells, an indication of infection. Oh and
Billy did have some whitish/green discharge at the end of her vulva,
which I had noticed before but didn't clue in that it might be
something of concern.

So her treatment is 10 days of antibiotics and I'm to clean the area
with gauze and an antiseptic wash twice a day. Poor thing still yelps
when I clean her down there...! Hope she gets better soon.