low-shedding, clean, short-furred dog?

Old January 15th 07, 08:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
dh003i

Default low-shedding, clean, short-furred dog?

I'm looking for a prospective dog for myself and my fiance, and
eventually our children (we plan on getting the dog when we have
children)...I am a cleanly person, and don't like fur and stuff all
over the place. So the most important thing is that the dog shed very
little, have short hair (for cleanliness), and be easy to maintain
(e.g., not require frequent grooming). Equally important, I also want a
dog that is very intelligent and trainable. Using various "criteria
search" tools, what keeps on popping up is a Toy Poodle, but one thing
that would drive me nuts about that is the long hair, which is a
dirt-catcher, and would require frequent grooming. An alternative that
popped up was various varities of "chi-poos", a cross of a poodle and
chihuahua. Some of the pups of the these crosses would presumeably have
shorter hair.

This brings up the whole interesting topic of pure vs. mixed / mutt /
mongrel dogs. I read a lot of stuff previously on these forums about
the topic. My background is a B.S. in Molecular Genetics, so I know
something about the topic of gentics. Some of the arguments used by
some people in favor of pure bred dogs are completely ignorant of the
genetics of dominant / recessive genes, and of the benefits of
out-of-family breeding. In the history of man, royal lineages (kings,
queens, etc) often had many genetic defects due to inbreeding. I don't
know how large the pure-bred populations are, but if sufficiently
inbred, the same would be true of them. As a matter of scientific fact,
even when breeding two people with various phenotypical problems that
are similar, you typically produce superior children, if their
genotypes are significantly different. (this is because the same
phenotype can be caused by different genotypes...hence, the benefits of
not inbreeding cannot be fully comprehended by examining phenotypes).

Also, one particularly stupid comment popped up somewhere, claiming
that all populations, if existing long enough, are very inbred, that
it's simple mathematics. They then claimed that everyone alive today
decended from one woman, "mitochondrial eve". This is total bullcrap.
They must be reading too many fundmantalist newsletters. All
mitochondrial genes today decended from one woman, mitochondrial eve
(it's the entire mitochondrial genome descending from one woman because
mitochondria are symbiotically inherited as entire units from the
mother). However, every single gene that we have (absent those
symbiotically passed on as a group in a symbiotic "organelle) was
inherited from *one* specific individual organism (not necessarily a
human, as it could have been from when various mammals diverged). And
most likely, "Eve" ancestor of just about every gene in our body is
different.

Old January 15th 07, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Liisa Sarakontu

"dh003i" wrote in
ups.com:

over the place. So the most important thing is that the dog shed very
little, have short hair (for cleanliness), and be easy to maintain
(e.g., not require frequent grooming).

"Shed very little" and "have short hair" just don't go hand in hand. All
naturally short-coated dogs shed a lot, either two times a year or nearly
all year round. Some dogs which have both long and bearded coat type
and also soft hair (= poodle-type coat, hair all over) shed very little or
nearly no at all, if the coat is regularly trimmed.

If no shedding is more important, get a Poodle and keep it trimmed short,
perhaps with longer hair on top of the head and on tail. Or a Schnauzer,
and learn to trim (strip) its coat yourself. If no trimming is more
important, think about dogs with "feathered" (genetically long but not
super long or super dense) coat type, like long-haired Saluki. They do
shed, but the hairs are easier to vaccuum than shorter, harder hairs and
they don't need as much combing/brushing as breeds with lots of undercoat.

dirt-catcher, and would require frequent grooming. An alternative that
popped up was various varities of "chi-poos", a cross of a poodle and
chihuahua. Some of the pups of the these crosses would presumeably have
shorter hair.

These crosses with "shorter hair" are the ones which are genetically not
bearded or not long. They have rather similar coat to purebred long-coated
Chis, or similar to bearded terriers with shortest coat like Parsons. The
main interest in these "poo" dogs is to get the poodle coat on a different
breed (and to produce lots of easy-to-sell cute puppies), so you don't need
that Poodle part to get this "shorter coat" if that is what you want.

This brings up the whole interesting topic of pure vs. mixed / mutt /
mongrel dogs.

Mutts and 1st gen crosses can be ok, if they are not produced by somebody
who just wants to get easy money. So if you are not interested in
registered, purebred dog, please go to a shelter and try to find a rescue
dog which looks and feels good to you and your family. Don't buy from a pet
shop or from a breeder, who seems to just keep on breeding litter after
litter or who is clueless about health and training issues.

I don't know how large the pure-bred populations are,

Some of them are very small. Some are large, but the number of the
foundation dogs was very, very small and severe inbreeding has made the
gene pool even narrower.

A good purebred pup comes from good, health-tested breeding stock. The
breeder is able to educate you about the diseases which are most common in
this breed, and might be able to tell which diseases are totally absent.
You more or less know what you get, although the risk for certain diseases
is larger than in "average dog population".

Many crossbreds, especially those small, fluffy, cute ones, are crosses
between two breeds with rather similar defects like patella luxation and
some eye conditions. It is also more likely that the parents of a mutt are
not tested for anything. You have very little clue what you will end up,
unless you really do some pedigree research yourself - or get an adult dog.

Liisa
Old January 15th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet B

On 14 Jan 2007 23:31:19 -0800, "dh003i" , clicked
their heels and said:

I'm looking for a prospective dog for myself and my fiance, and
eventually our children (we plan on getting the dog when we have
children)..

That timing would be poor, unless you wait until all of the children
are over 3 at the youngest. Do you have an image of puppies and
babies growing up together? Unless you enjoy a ton of work, don't do
it.

I am a cleanly person, and don't like fur and stuff all
over the place.

Guess what? Fur is not all there is. "Stuff" can be varied. Mud,
fecal matter, urine, vomit. Hmmm - same with the child!

So the most important thing is that the dog shed very
little, have short hair (for cleanliness), and be easy to maintain
(e.g., not require frequent grooming).

Short hair /= shedding very little. The breeds that tend not to shed
(but DO need regular grooming) are Poodles and the like.

Equally important, I also want a
dog that is very intelligent and trainable. Using various "criteria
search" tools, what keeps on popping up is a Toy Poodle, but one thing
that would drive me nuts about that is the long hair, which is a
dirt-catcher, and would require frequent grooming. An alternative that
popped up was various varities of "chi-poos", a cross of a poodle and
chihuahua. Some of the pups of the these crosses would presumeably have
shorter hair.

That would be a crap shoot. Mixed breeds are. A big question here is
why do you want a dog? Someone to cuddle on the couch? Someone to
play with the kids (tiny breeds are not ideal with babies and
toddlers)? Someone to take hikes with, train, engage in dog sports?

snip stuff

Mixed breed dogs can be wonderful or awful, as can purebred dogs. I
think there are two ways to choose a dog that will most likely be a
perfect match: Choose a puppy (or more likely, have it chosen for
you) from a responsible breeder in the breed of your choice, which you
have researched thoroughly, met many of, and can provide and
appropriate home for Or, choose and adult dog of a mixed or chosen
breed, that has been carefully temperament tested and screened by a
rescue or shelter.

Your goals for dog ownership are a huge part of this decision. Not
only what dog is right for you, but are you right for the dog.
--
Janet Boss
Old January 15th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
dh003i

Thank you all for your responses...

What I want in a dog is essentially a companion, but also a smart dog,
and one that is good with children (as I plan on having them). Also, a
possible sports companion for either hiking or swimming would be nice
(but that is optional). This is I presume why poodles kept on turning
up on my search results. If it comes down to it, grooming vs. shedding,
I'd rather have a dog that needs frequent grooming than one that sheds.

However, what about the hairless or near hairless dogs?

Old January 15th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Kathleen

dh003i wrote:

Thank you all for your responses...

What I want in a dog is essentially a companion, but also a smart dog,
and one that is good with children (as I plan on having them). Also, a
possible sports companion for either hiking or swimming would be nice
(but that is optional). This is I presume why poodles kept on turning
up on my search results. If it comes down to it, grooming vs. shedding,
I'd rather have a dog that needs frequent grooming than one that sheds.
However, what about the hairless or near hairless dogs?

All dogs shed. However, in curly-coated breeds (poodles, for instance),
the shed hairs are retained in the coat until removed by grooming.

So then the choice becomes, "Do I prefer to groom my dog or my house?".

Kathleen

Old January 15th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet B

On 15 Jan 2007 07:26:16 -0800, "dh003i" , clicked
their heels and said:

What I want in a dog is essentially a companion, but also a smart dog,

A lot of people THINK they want a smart dog. Really smart dogs often
are "creative". In other words, they bore easily and unless you can
keep up with the challenge of giving them work and activities, you can
wind up with a destructive and psycho dog!

Now, that doesn't mean that you need to choose the dullest knife in
the drawer either, but for the average household pet, especially for
part of a family, where other duties need attention, "smart" is
probably not what you really want. Bright, quick to learn,
cooperative. A great book which details some of that (if a bit
outdated with breeds) is Daniel Tortora's "The Right Dog for You". It
takes time to answer everything completely and honestly and not skim
the book, but the results are generally pretty much on the money.

and one that is good with children (as I plan on having them).

Keep in mind the toy dog/small children thing. Instead of a toy
Poodle, a Mini is a more substantial, less fragile, and usually more
mentally balanced dog.

Also, a
possible sports companion for either hiking or swimming would be nice
(but that is optional). This is I presume why poodles kept on turning
up on my search results. If it comes down to it, grooming vs. shedding,
I'd rather have a dog that needs frequent grooming than one that sheds.

A Poodle fits that bill! Grooming can be expensive, and standing
appointments are often necessary with a good groomer. An overall
"puppy" cut is usually more cost effective and less in need of
precisely timed cuts though.

However, what about the hairless or near hairless dogs?

Do you find them attractive? I don't think many have the personality
you are looking for, but consider their need to be protected from
heat, cold, sun, etc.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 15th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Liisa Sarakontu

"dh003i" wrote in
oups.com:

What I want in a dog is essentially a companion, but also a smart dog,
and one that is good with children (as I plan on having them). Also, a
possible sports companion for either hiking or swimming would be nice
(but that is optional).

This starts to sound like a spaniel to me. They are not very "smart", but
they are very easy to train as they love people and love doing stuff with
their family. They love jogging, but do well with slower walks with small
kids. They like water. They can do agility, obedience, just running/jogging
or hunting, whatever your "possible sports" might be.

If you are going to have small kids and the dog at the same time, don't
even think anything smaller than a Cocker. Well, perhaps a larger Cavalier
might work, but I like larger dogs and I think a slightly larger breed
might be suitable for you. Check if there are good English Cocker breeders
where you live. Nicer and easier-to-care coat than their American cousins.
Or perhaps something still larger? Field, Welsh Springer or English
Springer might be for you.

It shouldn't be too hard to find a spaniel-type cross from your local
shelter. Perhaps even a cockapoo, if you are still thinking that a Poodle
cross might be the ideal dog for you.

Liisa
Old January 15th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
dh003i

Thank you again for your replies...

Regarding the hairless dogs, I do find them attractive, especially the
Xolo. They have an ancient primitive look about them that reminds me of
Ancient Egypt, or the Incans. From what I've read on the various breeds
-- e.g., Xolo, American Hairless Terrier -- they seem to be friendly
and intelligent, especially the Xolo (which is apparently revered in
Latin cultures).

One thing though, is we have cats, two males and 1 female. The males
are fine around newcomers -- in fact, both wanted to play with the
female when first introduced. But the female is slow to take to
newcomers. For about a week after being introduced to another puppy
male, she would hiss at him, make a sironey alert sound, etc. She
turned into Godzilla when he was too close. LOL. So, I would worry
about a hairless dog around her at first.

Old January 16th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

"dh003i" wrote in news:1168846279.418214.22170
@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I'm looking for a prospective dog for myself and my fiance, and
eventually our children (we plan on getting the dog when we have
children)...I am a cleanly person, and don't like fur and stuff all
over the place. So the most important thing is that the dog shed very
little, have short hair (for cleanliness), and be easy to maintain
(e.g., not require frequent grooming). Equally important, I also want a
dog that is very intelligent and trainable. Using various "criteria
search" tools, what keeps on popping up is a Toy Poodle, but one thing
that would drive me nuts about that is the long hair, which is a
dirt-catcher, and would require frequent grooming. An alternative that
popped up was various varities of "chi-poos", a cross of a poodle and
chihuahua. Some of the pups of the these crosses would presumeably have
shorter hair.

We have a toy poodle. He doesn't have really long hair but that's
because we keep it short, which means frequent grooming. He doesn't
shed, which is nice, but his fur does catch a lot of dirt when he is
running around outside. My daughters just gave him a bath today,
actually, and the water in the tub was disgusting! It's hard to believe
all that dirt was on his little body. Of course, he wouldn't get so
dirty if we didn't have a big dirt area in our yard. So you can keep
your dog on grass and concrete and get cleaner dog even with longer fur.

The bottom line, though, is that any dog that doesn't shed is going to
need frequent grooming. To get rid of the grooming, you are going to
have to go with shedding. It's just the cost of having dogs. It's a
price we are willing to pay because we love our dogs. BTW, the poodle is
my 8 year old daughter's. My 11 year old daughter has a chihuahua, who
sheds like crazy. A cross between the two isn't going to give you some
miracle fur, it's going to either be short and shedding or non-shedding
and curly and needing grooming. If it doesn't fall out in hairs, it mats
in the fur. That's just the way it works. If you really can't handle
either shedding or frequent grooming, don't get a dog. It's not fair to
bring one into your home and then be constantly frustrated with it for
things it can't help. But it's also not fair to have animals brought
into your home that cause you tons of stress. Not everyone should have a
dog in their household and it sounds like maybe you're one of those who
would be better off without the downside of dogs in the house.

Paula
Old January 16th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

"dh003i" wrote in news:1168874776.834582.236470
@m58g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

What I want in a dog is essentially a companion, but also a smart dog,
and one that is good with children (as I plan on having them). Also, a
possible sports companion for either hiking or swimming would be nice
(but that is optional). This is I presume why poodles kept on turning
up on my search results. If it comes down to it, grooming vs. shedding,
I'd rather have a dog that needs frequent grooming than one that sheds.

Then a poodle probably would be a good choice. The best thing you can do
to get a dog that is good with children is to train the children and the
dog. I had really young children when I got my first dog. Kids aren't
born knowing how to treat dogs well and dogs aren't born knowing kids
don't play like puppies do. But if you teach them and supervise them,
they can have a great time together. It's a lot of work on both ends,
but the results are worth it. My girls love their dogs and their dogs
adore them. They really enrich our lives in a million ways, but we do
put up with mud on the floors, dog hair around the house, grooming of the
poodle who doesn't shed and accidents when they are sick and need to be
cleaned up after. I also put a lot of effort into literally years of
training and never letting the dogs and kids interact without being right
there with them.

I wouldn't get a puppy at the same time I had a baby. It's a lot of work
all at once. Either get a dog in time to have it settled in and fully
grown before any kids come along or after the kids are past their really
demanding years.

Paula