Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

Old January 3rd 07, 07:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Tara

Default Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

"Suja" wrote in
:

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

There are several excellent books out on canine body
language, the most recent of which is McConnell's "For The
Love of a Dog" (which is about dogs and emotion but talks at
length about body language).

And FWIW, it's been my experience that Rotties are pretty transparent
and fairly easy to read, once you get past the tail-lessness.
Reactions of Pits to other dogs, now that took a lot more time to
figure out.

In fact, Rotties are known to be very verbal (as opposed to vocal) about
things. Rottie grumbling- during play, during training, during just haning
out- is legendary to the point of being a normal part of the breed.

Tara
Old January 3rd 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article 6,
Tara wrote:
In fact, Rotties are known to be very verbal (as opposed to vocal) about
things. Rottie grumbling- during play, during training, during just haning
out- is legendary to the point of being a normal part of the breed.

Years ago I had a friend with a Rottweiler. Her roommate
was a lesbian but she was pretty weirded out because she
kept having these dreams about a man in her bed. It turned
out that Beorn, the Rottweiler, was jumping up on the
roommate's bed at night and making the usual Rottweiler
grumbly, snorty noises. Identity crisis averted!

Sending more troops into a war is properly called an "escalation."
Old January 3rd 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Suja wrote:
"Lynne" wrote in message:

I wonder if 80 lbs is too high
of a goal. I'm a pretty small person.

I have picked Khan up, although I am only about 20 pounds heavier than he
is. It is not something I'd choose to do, but it is something I can do if I
have to. However, I'm not sure I can hoist him long enough to get him out
of the house, and get him into the SUV. I do have a doggie ramp (that not
even my friend's crippled dog would use) stowed away, just in case I have to
improvise.

I'm not sure I can lift Pan. For now, I'll just have to be religious
about hitting the gym, and hope for the best.

Suja

I frequently pick my 72 lb mutt up and thrown him over my shoulder when
we are playing around (not really thrown, but the expression sounds
entertaining), which is why I have a dog that heavy. I have carried as
much as 160 lbs of salt into the house before as well. But I don't
think I could manage a mastiff myself, that is why I have a 72 lb mutt
instead of a mastiff. Always a good thing to consider.

Old January 3rd 07, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
Now I will see what I need to do in order to give him more exercise and
supervised play time. My options include a 4' high 100' x 50' field fence,
or an electric radio fence. I also have a 50' aerial cable run I might
install.

Paul and the MuttMeister

Just to throw this one out there, but my 72 lb mutt can clear a 4 foot
fence completely. Furthermore, I have to replace the clasps on his
cable run (for up to 150 lb dogs) after about a year an a half of use
because he is starting to pull it apart, luckily I can now replace them
with some nice quality bronze clasps which should hold up better. If
muttley is strong like you say he is these things need to be
considered. My mutt is only outside on it to go to the bathroom so it
doesn't get very much use, and under frequent use it would probably
have started to break sooner. Other times he is dragging a 30 foot
line behind him and stays near me when I have him in the yard playing.

Nick

Old January 4th 07, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pfoley

"Tara" wrote in message
4.196...
"Suja" wrote in
:

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

There are several excellent books out on canine body
language, the most recent of which is McConnell's "For The
Love of a Dog" (which is about dogs and emotion but talks at
length about body language).

And FWIW, it's been my experience that Rotties are pretty transparent
and fairly easy to read, once you get past the tail-lessness.
Reactions of Pits to other dogs, now that took a lot more time to
figure out.

In fact, Rotties are known to be very verbal (as opposed to vocal) about
things. Rottie grumbling- during play, during training, during just haning
out- is legendary to the point of being a normal part of the breed.

Tara

=========
That way yes; my dog grumbles all the time when she plays with other dogs,
but she hardly ever barks.

Old January 4th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pfoley

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

And FWIW, it's been my experience that Rotties are pretty
transparent and fairly easy to read, once you get past the
tail-lessness.

I agree. Pfoley didn't read my post for content, I guess. Just
because she can't read a Rottie doesn't mean others can't.

==========
Had there been some content in your message, I surely would have spotted it,
however, as usual not much there to read.

Old January 4th 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Tara

"pfoley" wrote in
nk.net:

That way yes; my dog grumbles all the time when she plays with other
dogs, but she hardly ever barks.

That's why I said "verbal (as opposed to vocal)"

To me, a dog being verbal= rumblings and noises while vocalizing= barking.

But being verbal *would* hint that a dog would certainly growl or give some
auditory indication before an attack....unless its been corrected out of
them, which unfortunately many Rotti owners do.

Tara
Old January 4th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

"pfoley" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

regarding Message-ID:

Had there been some content in your message, I surely would
have spotted it, however, as usual not much there to read.

Why did you respond to it agreeably, then?