Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

Old January 5th 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

Default Scariest LOOKING breeds, public perception?

Paula said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I wouldn't put any dog out with only a four foot high fence
without supervision.

Get a Border Collie!

I'll leave my dogs out unsupervised for short periods because
they've never once shown an inclination to leave (I have a
four foot fence along one side, and that neighbour isn't
otherwise fenced). A few years ago I left the gate open when
I ran in to catch the phone, and left it open. Some time
later, my dogs were still in the yard.

Situations differ and I certainly don't leave the client dogs
unsupervised, even the wee ones. I remember one of my
parents' mini poodles scaling chicken wire fencing.

Old January 5th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

Rocky wrote in
:

Get a Border Collie!

Or a Harriet. She's jumped *out* of fences to get to me, but has
never had the least inclination to do so otherwise. She's about as
trustworthy as it gets, where fences are concerned.

A few years ago I left the gate open when
I ran in to catch the phone, and left it open. Some time
later, my dogs were still in the yard.

Yep. Elliott, bless his heart, got loose a couple of times.
Harriet always tattled on him, even though she could have easily
followed him out.

--
Shelly

I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning to sail my ship.
-- Louisa May Alcott
Old January 5th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

Janet B said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Aside from the court's perception, how can you live
with yourself when you could have prevented a tragedy with
a couple of feet more fence or a tie out?

Indeed.

In my city, you can have 6' fences on the sides or back of your
house, but not on the front. The one 4 foot fenced area that I
can't see from a window has a hedge on the dog side that I allow
to grow somewhat wild. Even big jumpers couldn't get out
through there.

Old January 5th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Rocky

"pfoley" said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Unlike you, I try to be polite and respond to messages in a
kindly manner.

You're often unkind when your misinformation is pointed out.

Old January 5th 07, 06:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

"Suja" wrote in
:

"Paula" wrote in message:

I wouldn't put any dog out with only a four foot high fence without
supervision.

Paula, meet Khan. The only "fence" he's ever jumped was about a foot
tall. You could put 10 pounds of steak (or a live fox) on the other
side of the fence, and he is just not going to put enough effort to
jump over. Go through? Maybe. Over? Not a chance.

He's an embarrassment to his fellow wolves everywhere!

Paula
Old January 5th 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paula

Rocky wrote in
:

Paula said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

I wouldn't put any dog out with only a four foot high fence
without supervision.

Get a Border Collie!

I'll leave my dogs out unsupervised for short periods because
they've never once shown an inclination to leave (I have a
four foot fence along one side, and that neighbour isn't
otherwise fenced). A few years ago I left the gate open when
I ran in to catch the phone, and left it open. Some time
later, my dogs were still in the yard.

Situations differ and I certainly don't leave the client dogs
unsupervised, even the wee ones. I remember one of my
parents' mini poodles scaling chicken wire fencing.

So how come I get all the escape artists? Sammie and Faith actually
probably wouldn't go anywhere on their own, but they can certainly be led
into temptation by the head clown. Molly is an escape artist
extraordinaire. She had a history of it before she came here and she
hadn't even been in rescue long enough that you'd think she could have
developed a history.

Paula
Old January 5th 07, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Janet B

On 5 Jan 2007 02:06:17 GMT, Rocky , clicked their
heels and said:

In my city, you can have 6' fences on the sides or back of your
house, but not on the front.

That seems pretty much the norm, although when I lived in Baltimore
City, the limit as 5'. I got a zoning variance to put up a 6' fence.
The one 4 foot fenced area that I
can't see from a window has a hedge on the dog side that I allow
to grow somewhat wild. Even big jumpers couldn't get out
through there.

Wild hedges are pretty good barriers when in combo with even a light
fence. We used to have a mock orange that was a force to be reckoned
with. We finally managed to kill it (purposely) because it was in a
location where it had to be maintained and it was a real chore.

--
Janet Boss
Old January 5th 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Suja wrote:

That's a given. Big butts make for difficulty jumping, is what I'm
figuring.

They also seem to be implicated in the sprouting forth of baby
puppies. y0u hA\/3 b33N WarN3D.

He redeems himself somewhat by being The Mighty Hunter Extraordinaire.
There aren't very many dogs out there that have mice, groundhogs and fox on
their kill list.

No foxes, but Miss Brown has caught and attempted killerating
groundhogs, a rare o'possum-raccoon-grizzly bear hybrid, and a Shih
Tzu. She's also boinged up and caught birds out of the air.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)

Old January 5th 07, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Suja wrote:

Mebbe Miss Brown needs to develop a big butt. It keeps the boinging to a
minimum.

Hell no!

And while Khan appreciates the thought process behind the
attempted killerating of Shih Tzus, that's just not allowed,

Well, no, it's *not* allowed. That's why it was only attempted
killeration.

on account of them being dogs

I'm not sure she identified it as such. I *am* sure she intended to
eat it, though. (Shih Tzu was freed from the jaws of dqqm and
returned to its owners, who couldn't have cared less.)

(sitting on their heads with big butts IS allowed).

How about boxing at them with bony paws?

Also,
he says that he's also tangled with a rare possum-raccoon-grizzly hybrid,
and this one was definitely bigger than hers.

Very likely! But not viciouser. Also, she says it might have been
a mountain lion. I think she exaggerates, but she says if she
wanted *my* opinion, she'd box it out of me.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)