Proposed Dock/Crop Ban in W. Hollywood

Old February 10th 05, 11:31 PM
Alison

"Lee DeRaud" wrote in message
shrug Consensus here is that it's totally unenforceable, not to
mention that the law as written violates state law that preempts it.

Lee

So what. It's a start and other states might follow.
Alison

Old February 10th 05, 11:35 PM
Alison

"White Monkey" wrote in message
And personally, I like being greeted by a boxer or

rottweiler with a happily wagging tail. But again, please no

flames--that's
just how I feel about it.
--Katrina

Me too and floppy ears.
BTW I don't think you'll get flamed. Except for the obvious few,
people are pretty reasonable here.
Alison

Old February 10th 05, 11:40 PM
Lee DeRaud

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:31:06 -0000, "Alison"
wrote:

"Lee DeRaud" wrote in message
.. .
shrug Consensus here is that it's totally unenforceable, not to
mention that the law as written violates state law that preempts it.

So what. It's a start and other states might follow.

"Today West Hollywood, tomorrow the world!!"

Kinda doubt it: if it happened at the California *state* level,
someone might take notice. But this? Just some local politicians
looking for publicity...happens all the time here.

Lee
Old February 10th 05, 11:59 PM
Mali More

"White Monkey" wrote in message:

snip

Personally, I
like this look a lot better that artificially sharp ears that have been
trained to stand up. And personally, I like being greeted by a boxer or
rottweiler with a happily wagging tail. But again, please no

flames--that's
just how I feel about it.
--Katrina

It's definitely a personal preference thing. I, personally, love the floppy
ears (or course I think I have a fascination with ears: donkey ears, dog
ears, sow ears...can pet them for hours).

As far as tails, though...I actually prefer nubs! A Boxer can wag it's tail
if it's docked...although usually their whole but wiggles I've had dogs
with tails, but the unexpected clearing of the coffee table gets old. The
Boxers I have seen with tails (which, in this country, a Boxer with a tail
is rare...they will usually be a cross, or someone that really doesn't know
about the breed) were lethal...worse than labs!

Guess the natural dock is ok, though, right? Are Aussies (that's Australian
Shepherd) natrually docked? I know that ACDs are supposed to have tails,
although it is common BYB practice to dock them.

Mali

Old February 11th 05, 12:15 AM
Alison

"Lee DeRaud" wrote in message
So what. It's a start and other states might follow.

"Today West Hollywood, tomorrow the world!!"

and the week after the universe G

[..]? Just some local politicians
looking for publicity...happens all the time here.

or maybe they genuinely care. It happens
Alison

Old February 11th 05, 12:25 AM
Sharon too

"Today West Hollywood, tomorrow the world!!"

Kinda doubt it: if it happened at the California *state* level,
someone might take notice. But this? Just some local politicians
looking for publicity...happens all the time here.

In December the California Supreme Court over turned the West Hollywood
legislation regarding declawing, deciding that this is legislation that has
tome come from the state, not local municipalities.

http://tinyurl.com/6jg6u

Old February 11th 05, 12:35 AM
Suja

Diana wrote:
but I've yet to
see a tailed boxer, rottie or dobie.... I can't wait

Just make sure to stay well clear of any Dobies with tails. They're
like whips - NO exaggeration.

Suja
Old February 11th 05, 01:10 AM
Christy

"Mali More" wrote in message

Guess the natural dock is ok, though, right? Are Aussies (that's

Australian
Shepherd) natrually docked? I know that ACDs are supposed to have tails,
although it is common BYB practice to dock them.

Aussies have a bobtail gene, but are often born with a full tail. I love
Aussie tails, though they are uncommon. I have no problem with people
choosing to leave tails and ears intact if that's what they prefer. I just
don't like legislating it.

Christy

Old February 11th 05, 01:13 AM
diannes

Lee DeRaud wrote:
Kinda doubt it: if it happened at the California *state* level,
someone might take notice.

Funny you should mention this - last year someone made a proposal
to the California state legislature to ban ear cropping; this was
spurred by the radical group Association of Veterinarians for
Animal Rights. What got noticed was that there was very little
support for it, LOTS of opposition, and the measure never made
it out of committee :-).

Dianne

Old February 11th 05, 01:19 AM
Lee DeRaud

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:25:50 -0500, "Sharon too"
wrote:

"Today West Hollywood, tomorrow the world!!"

Kinda doubt it: if it happened at the California *state* level,
someone might take notice. But this? Just some local politicians
looking for publicity...happens all the time here.

In December the California Supreme Court overturned the West Hollywood
legislation regarding declawing, deciding that this is legislation that has
to come from the state, not local municipalities.

One assumes that the West Hollywood City Council knows that the
outcome of their latest publicity stunt will be exactly the same.
If they don't, they're dumber than house plants.

Lee