Absolutely OT - PETA caught in the act

Old June 17th 05, 02:20 PM
buglady

Default Absolutely OT - PETA caught in the act

PETA crosses over to the dark side......or have they always been there?

http://tinyurl.com/cx6tl

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old June 17th 05, 02:23 PM
Janet B

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 13:20:53 GMT, "buglady"
, wrote:

PETA crosses over to the dark side......or have they always been there?

I've never doubted that they're evil for even a second!

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old June 17th 05, 04:14 PM
Marshall Lev Dermer

buglady wrote:
PETA crosses over to the dark side......or have they always been there?

http://tinyurl.com/cx6tl

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Hi Buglady,

Is it fair to use the name "PETA," a name for an entire organization,
when the article only describes the behavior of two persons?

--Marshall
Old June 17th 05, 04:22 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:14:54 GMT, Marshall Lev Dermer
wrote:

Is it fair to use the name "PETA," a name for an entire organization,
when the article only describes the behavior of two persons?

from the article, it looks as though the two individuals were using PeTA
(remember, small e for ethical!) property to commit the crimes. it's
also pretty clear that their mission was endorsed by PeTA. whether or
not PeTA knew the two individuals were killing animals is not known, but
an employer is ultimately responsible for its employees on-duty actions.

it also seems to me that this was unlikely an isolated incident and that
PeTA *had* to know what was going on. if you're sent out to "rescue"
and rehome X number of animals and those animals are killed, surely
*someone* should notice that the animals are not there to be adopted?

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Whom the gods would destroy, they first make mad.
-- Euripides

Old June 17th 05, 04:33 PM
buglady

"Janet B" wrote in message
I've never doubted that they're evil for even a second!

heh.....wink
......can't wait to hear the spin at their press conference this afternoon.

Old June 17th 05, 06:13 PM
Marshall Lev Dermer

wrote:

Is it fair to use the name "PETA," a name for an entire organization,
when the article only describes the behavior of two persons?

from the article, it looks as though the two individuals were using PeTA
(remember, small e for ethical!) property to commit the crimes. it's
also pretty clear that their mission was endorsed by PeTA. whether or
not PeTA knew the two individuals were killing animals is not known, but
an employer is ultimately responsible for its employees on-duty actions.

it also seems to me that this was unlikely an isolated incident and that
PeTA *had* to know what was going on. if you're sent out to "rescue"
and rehome X number of animals and those animals are killed, surely
*someone* should notice that the animals are not there to be adopted?

Hi Shelly,

PETA is the name of an organization. An organization endorses an
activity when an agency member with appropriate authority endorses/
approves the activity. Look at this:

“We are appalled if this actually happened,” PETA President Ingrid
Newkirk said. “We would absolutely never condone this behavior.”

I'm no fan of PETA but I would be careful in making allegations
about persons/organizations and undesirable/illegal behavior.

--Marshall
Old June 17th 05, 06:24 PM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:13:54 GMT, Marshall Lev Dermer
wrote:

“We are appalled if this actually happened,” PETA President Ingrid
Newkirk said. “We would absolutely never condone this behavior.”

i can't imagine that she'd say anything different.

I'm no fan of PETA but I would be careful in making allegations
about persons/organizations and undesirable/illegal behavior.

which allegations?

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

It's when the parents are cannibals that the kids turn out like this.
-- Melora (Rasputina)

Old June 17th 05, 06:33 PM

Marshall Lev Dermer wrote:
I'm no fan of PETA but I would be careful in making allegations
about persons/organizations and undesirable/illegal behavior.

I'm with Marshall on this. I tend to suspect that PETA
attracts wackos, but I don't think that the organization or
the vast majority of people involved with it would condone
murdering cats. Elsewise we'd have to accuse the Republican
Party of the same thing, and while heaven knows they have a
disproportionate share of problems there's no way they think
that killing cats is a fine thing, despite their willingness
to follow Bill Frist nearly anywhere.

43% of all private-sector jobs created in the US
from 2001 to April 2005 are housing-related
Old June 17th 05, 06:52 PM

On 17 Jun 2005 13:33:20 -0400, (Melinda Shore) wrote:

I'm with Marshall on this.

clearly, there's a lot missing from the story. however, i think
Marshall thinks i said something i did not, in fact, say. i believe an
important question to be asked is how PeTA reconciled the lack of
adoptable animals with the number of animals taken from shelters and
vets.

I tend to suspect that PETA attracts wackos, but I don't think that
the organization or the vast majority of people involved with it
would condone murdering cats.

PeTA (is it still just the 3-4 members?) attracts all sorts of ignorant
folks who have no idea what their financial support is really being used
for. i don't at all think that those people have any involvement or
clue about PeTA's doings. unless things have changed, though, PeTA
itself is comprised of only a handful of people. what they do or do not
know about this specific case is unknown, but *someone* in the
organization had to have either condoned the killing of these animals or
had to be scratching his/her head at the discrepancy in numbers, because
from the article, it sounds like this was an on-going program and that a
large number of animals were involved.

Elsewise we'd have to accuse the Republican
Party of the same thing, and while heaven knows they have a
disproportionate share of problems there's no way they think
that killing cats is a fine thing, despite their willingness
to follow Bill Frist nearly anywhere.

can we take a voice vote on that? i'm just sayin'...

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

V is for Victor squashed under a train.
-- Edward Gorey, The Gashlycrumb Tinies

Old June 17th 05, 07:34 PM
Marshall Lev Dermer

wrote:

“We are appalled if this actually happened,” PETA President Ingrid
Newkirk said. “We would absolutely never condone this behavior.”

i can't imagine that she'd say anything different.

I'm no fan of PETA but I would be careful in making allegations
about persons/organizations and undesirable/illegal behavior.

which allegations?

This looks like one:

absolutely amazing Diana Dog behavior 0 September 2nd 04 12:25 PM
absolutely amazing Diana Dog behavior 0 September 2nd 04 12:25 PM
absolutely amazing Diana Dog behavior 0 September 2nd 04 12:25 PM
The Garbage Dumper Caught In The Act!!! Leah Dog behavior 0 August 11th 03 04:10 PM