Warning about Xylitol poisoning in dogs - sweetener in mints, gum and some household baking products

Old August 6th 05, 06:09 PM
Dire_Wolf

Default Warning about Xylitol poisoning in dogs - sweetener in mints, gum and some household baking products

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...a-f131478a1f55

Tele almost didn't make it to her first birthday
written by: Cheryl Preheim 9NEWS Reporter
Created: 8/3/2005 10:17 PM MDT - Updated: 8/3/2005 11:24 PM MDT

Tele is a 7-month-old Golden Retriever who loves treats. So,
when 2-year-old Jordan started feeding her mints, she loved it.

"I was standing right there as my 2-year-old is handing one mint for
him, one mint for me type of game and it was literally six mints later
that we started seeing signs," said Lindsey Davis, Jordan's mom.
Within 15 minutes of eating six mints, Tele was having seizures and
vomiting.

Davis took her to Aspenwood Animal Hospital on Colorado Boulevard.
Dr. Julie Kelly said when Tele got there, "she was basically in a type
of a coma."

A frantic call to Animal Poison Control revealed that Tele was being
poisoned by Xylitol. "It is an artificial sweetener that is in
sugarless chewing gums and mints and some household baking products,"
said Kelly. "It is life threatening to dogs. They can die very
quickly."

She says veterinarians are seeing more cases of Xylitol poisoning. "We
are starting to see these animals that are getting into people's
purses or their children are giving them treats and dogs like to eat
anything they can," said Kelly. Davis wants to warn other dog owners.

"The compound is as close as a hands reach of the check out stand so
people need to know that this is toxic to dogs," she said.

Tele is back home and feeling better but the vet says she still needs
to be watched closely to make sure there isn't any permanent liver
damage.

(Copyright by KUSA-TV, All Rights Reserved)