Natures Recipe

Old February 6th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Natures Recipe

Does anyone have any recomendations good or bad on Natures Recipe Lamb
and Rice Puppy food?

jw
Old February 7th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

John Wesley wrote:
Does anyone have any recomendations good or bad on Natures Recipe Lamb
and Rice Puppy food?

jw

You might check the label and make sure they have finally added
supplemental taurine to the food. They were one of three companies with
lamb based products that were implicated in causing dilated
cardiomyopathy. Lamb is intrinsically deficient in taurine and it
needs to be supplemented in any lamb based diet. You can tell by
looking at the ingredient panel and finding taurine listed as a
separate ingredient. 3 Nutro Natural Choice products, Nature's Recipe
and Sensible Choice (I think it was Sensible Choice) were all reported
as having deficient levels of taurine in a 2003 published report from
UC Davis. The ctual study was donein 1999, but publication was 3 years
later. At that time I looked at the labels and Nutro had changed only 1
of the foods implicated and the other two companies had made no changes
at all. Nutro had changed the Nutro Natural Choice LM&R food but had
not yet changed the Lite product and one other food they produced that
was implicated. Most companies made changes in the late 90's when the
issue first came up.

Old February 7th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article .com,
says...

John Wesley wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info Steve

Natures Recipe has taurine now according to the ingredients on thier
website. Reason I'm asking is my buddies Chi (sister of my dog) has had
some dry skin and sensitive stomach. He had someone at PetSmart
recommend the Natures Recipe. He asked me and I said I'd ask here. Any
other food you might recommend.

jw
Old February 7th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
says...
John Wesley wrote:
Does anyone have any recomendations good or bad on Natures Recipe Lamb
and Rice Puppy food?

jw

I haven't used Natures Recipe, but it appears to meet the guidelines I
look for in feeing our pooch with allergies. The allergist recommended
Neutro Natural Choice as an alternative to a prescription diet.

Thanks,

We will look into that one also.

jw
Old February 7th 06, 06:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

John Wesley wrote:
Natures Recipe has taurine now according to the ingredients on thier
website. Reason I'm asking is my buddies Chi (sister of my dog) has had
some dry skin and sensitive stomach. He had someone at PetSmart
recommend the Natures Recipe. He asked me and I said I'd ask here. Any
other food you might recommend.

jw

Since Steve Crane works for Hill's, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to
recommend some Science Diet, eh Steve? LOL Personally, I tried
Science Diet products on my pets in the past, but it seemed to make
their skin dry and they had vomiting problems from it. I have cats but
my sister has dogs and she had the same experience. Who knows, maybe
they've hopefully changed their formula. I guess if Nature's Recipe
can, maybe Hill's can too?

Old February 7th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Since Steve Crane works for Hill's, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to
recommend some Science Diet, eh Steve? LOL Personally, I tried
Science Diet products on my pets in the past, but it seemed to make
their skin dry and they had vomiting problems from it. I have cats but
my sister has dogs and she had the same experience. Who knows, maybe
they've hopefully changed their formula. I guess if Nature's Recipe
can, maybe Hill's can too?

Here we go. This is where the thread turns into a Hills Bashing party
regardless of all posters' experience. Open can of worms. Commence at will.

Old February 7th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Personally, I tried
Science Diet products on my pets in the past, but it seemed to make
their skin dry and they had vomiting problems from it. I have cats but
my sister has dogs and she had the same experience.

What does your sister use now? Dog in question is on Science Diet Puppy
right now. That is not agreeing with her stomach occasionally and she
has some skin flaking. My dog (her brother) is on Science Diet Puppy
also. He has a nice coat and soft skin and no stomach problems.

jw

Old February 7th 06, 08:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

PawsForThought wrote:
John Wesley wrote:
Natures Recipe has taurine now according to the ingredients on thier
website. Reason I'm asking is my buddies Chi (sister of my dog) has had
some dry skin and sensitive stomach. He had someone at PetSmart
recommend the Natures Recipe. He asked me and I said I'd ask here. Any
other food you might recommend.

jw

Since Steve Crane works for Hill's, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to
recommend some Science Diet, eh Steve? LOL Personally, I tried
Science Diet products on my pets in the past, but it seemed to make
their skin dry and they had vomiting problems from it. I have cats but
my sister has dogs and she had the same experience. Who knows, maybe
they've hopefully changed their formula. I guess if Nature's Recipe
can, maybe Hill's can too?

Ooh boy, the hypocrisy. For the record, Lauren is a infamous Hill's
Hater from way back. Lauren, don't be so coy. I'll bring everyone up
to speed.....you once claimed that Science Diet "killed" your cats.
Now, you say it created problems for your "pets"? Am I to infer that
you mean you fed your dogs Science Diet in the past? If so, you've
never mentioned it until now. Hmmm? If you don't have dogs (by your
own admission), what's the point in you reading this particular ng?
Are you stalking Steve? For you to slyly imply that Science Diet is
somehow "bad" when you don't even feed commercial pet foods to your own
cats (you feed raw), is quite interesting. Do tell us more!

For the record, Steve didn't even recommend Science Diet. Yet here you
are, putting words in his mouth (no doubt, so that you can claim he is
being "biased") and then claiming that Science Diet is bad when you
don't even own a dog. Wonderful.

Old February 7th 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote:
Ooh boy, the hypocrisy. For the record, Lauren is a infamous Hill's
Hater from way back. Lauren, don't be so coy. I'll bring everyone up
to speed.....you once claimed that Science Diet "killed" your cats.

Are you kidding me? Killed my cats? You are out of your mind, LOL,
but nothing new.

Now, you say it created problems for your "pets"? Am I to infer that
you mean you fed your dogs Science Diet in the past? If so, you've
never mentioned it until now. Hmmm?

You well know that I don't have a dog. Last summer I was taking care
of my sister's dog and wanted to learn more about feeding her. I still
watch her dog when she is out of town and continue to be interested in
feeding her a good food. I am also on a list serve where we have many
members who have dogs, so my interest is genuine.

Your problem with me is that I informed people how poorly my cats (not
my present cats, which you know, btw) did when I fed them Science Diet
food. I don't know, maybe it was the high corn content, or some other
ingredient, but their coats were very dry and they were vomitting from
it. As I stated before, my sister was feeding Hill's Science Diet to
her dog and she did poorly on it too. It seems that whenever anyone
tells the truth about Science Diet, the company you work for, they are
bashed and called a liar. My cats did very poorly on Hill's Science
Diet, learn to live with it.