licking his paws raw

Old March 29th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default licking his paws raw

I have this 8 year old golden retriever, who has a great life, never left
alone. During the summers he gets small hotspots, and often on his paws.
Last summer he licked and licked one of his rear legs so now he has scare
tissue built up.... The vet looked at his leg last month and confirmed his
leg is fine, just scare tissue.. well it's certainly not hot spot season and
he feels it's time to start licking that leg.. I have to say it makes me so
mad that he does this.. I know I shouldn't feel this way... but I do.. I
had many a summer where I covered and treated these spots for weeks and it
took one lick session for him to set it all back arghhhhhhh !!! So the
only thing I can think of is bitter apple all the time ??? What else can I
do... thanks J

Old March 29th 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"dwolf" composed these thoughts and posted them
:

I have this 8 year old golden retriever, who has a great life, never
left alone. During the summers he gets small hotspots, and often on
his paws. Last summer he licked and licked one of his rear legs so now
he has scare tissue built up.... The vet looked at his leg last month
and confirmed his leg is fine, just scare tissue.. well it's certainly
not hot spot season and he feels it's time to start licking that leg..
I have to say it makes me so mad that he does this.. I know I
shouldn't feel this way... but I do.. I had many a summer where I
covered and treated these spots for weeks and it took one lick session
for him to set it all back arghhhhhhh !!! So the only thing I can
think of is bitter apple all the time ??? What else can I do...
thanks J

Does he have grass allergies? Are there chiggers in your area? molds?
Something is triggering this seasonal response. I'd try to address the
reason instead of treating the symptoms.
Old March 29th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

well let's say it's allergies... so then what ???

It could also be anxiety, I got him at 4 years old. He had a very nice owner
but felt he was being left alone to much because he was in school.. So I
took him and give him tons of love and attention. He come to work every day.
He is needy, but what golden isn't. when people visit me in the shop he is
a complete pest, and I usually need to send him to his bed. I've noticed
when I do send him there, he starts licking, even when he has no sore....
but really the sores are just around summer. Now one thing that may have
started the licking again is swimming, which has just begun again. And it
would be very hard to keep him out of the water since all of our walks have
water...
. ..

Old March 31st 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"dwolf" wrote in message
news
well let's say it's allergies... so then what ???

(Check out rec.pets.dogs.health)

My 14 yo Golden, Rudy, used to do the same thing. Hot spots for him were
either:

Do you use any kind of anti flea meds?
Try either Advantage, Frontline, or I now use Interceptor because of
where I live. One flea bite and Rudy would be red all over his groin in a
matter of hours!

What do you feed him?
I feed a dog food that is low in ingredients, therefore less to
bother the dog's skin. I use California Natural from www.Naturapets.com This
may cost more than you're used to, but in the long run it pretty much evens
out, as I feed a LOT less of the quality food than I did the other brands.

Could be the swimming.
If so, make sure you rinse him off thoroughly with a hose when you get
home.

Are there pollens of any kind he is around during certain seasons?
I've found this not to be the case for many goldens, it's usually one of
the top two. Check with your extention office, or vet, anyway.

Last of all, whenever I was out of town, years and years ago, if he didn't
get enough *attention*, they will lick from boredom. Perhaps, play some
games with him at work, instead of shooing him off to the craate. Keep his
mind alert. Try training him to do anything he doesn't already do. Keep him
interested in other things than his paws.

Best of luck, it can be hard to figure out with many dogs, but goldens seem
to be notorious for sensitive skin issues, at least the poorly bred ones. I
adopted mine from the Humane Society.

MaryBeth

Old April 5th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I have two Bull Terriers who also lick their paws raw. I thought it
could be due to walking them in wet weather that contributed to the
iritation that they are experiencing. I started to dry their feet but
the licking still continues. This is very frustrating! I will
however, try bitter apple, but this I suspect will not work as they
both eat anything and nothing deters them.

Old April 14th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I know I'm a little late here on this post, but have you tried acupuncture?
My old Aussie developed allergies when he was 7 or 8 and had terrible
hotspots. I was desperate when his hair started falling out. I'd been
through every allergy feed program I could come up with (raw foods came the
closest to health). I gave acupuncture a try, and I kid you not, his hair
was all grown back in two months, and he never had another hot spot to the
day he died. He had arthritis too, and acupuncture gave him enough relief
that he spent lots of time swimming! It was so worth it.