"Natural" bones

Old September 2nd 08, 08:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
S.Smith

Default "Natural" bones

Years ago, my aunts dog, Boston Terier, used to chew what looked like a
natural bone. One that was actual bone that was processed and filled with a
marrow like material sometimes. I have seen them in the store and I am
wondering how safe they are?. I don't know if they are the same as my aunt
had 30 years ago.
Any thoughts and comments are welcome.
TIA
S. Smith

Old September 3rd 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"S.Smith" wrote in message
Years ago, my aunts dog, Boston Terier, used to chew what looked like a
natural bone. One that was actual bone that was processed and filled
with a marrow like material sometimes. I have seen them in the store and
I am wondering how safe they are?. I don't know if they are the same as
my aunt had 30 years ago.
Any thoughts and comments are welcome.
TIA
S. Smith

If they are in the pet department and not refrigerated, they are either
synthetic or processed in some way, and I don't think they are as good as
raw bones.

I have been able to purchase real, raw marrow bones at the local Food Lion
for about $1/lb, and my dog Muttley loves to chew and lick the marrow out.
He sometimes chews pieces of the bone itself, but it does not seem to
splinter or cause any problems. If I buy the basted and cooked ones that
are wrapped in plastic and not needing refrigeration, he will eat the
entire bone in about an hour.

So, for him, I think the raw marrow bones are best. But I have heard of
some dogs breaking a tooth or having other problems, so I would advise
checking with your vet, and watching your dog chew it.

Paul and Muttley

Old September 4th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot[_2_]

My dogs have always love these the only drawback is I've had two the them
break tips off their canines from chewing on these. I buy the longer
sterilized bones this way they don't get that stinky smell. Even though
they are sterilized the dogs still love to chew them. They last a long time
but after they get thin on the ends it's best to throw them out because once
they become thin they can splinter on the ends.

Celeste