Frankie Weekend Update (12/13)

Old December 14th 03, 05:28 PM
Dimpled Chad

Default Frankie Weekend Update (12/13)

Hi everyone. Here's a quick update on Frankie.

Frankie went in for an exam and blood tests Friday. The exam re-confirmed
the murmur and the arthritis on his back hips, which seem to be troubling
him a bit. We aren't moving forward yet on the glucosomine, since the vet
doesn't want to introduce yet another drug/supplement into his system at
this time. Otherwise, he is doing well physically. They drew the blood and
we went home for fun time and naps.

Blood work came back pretty much as expected, which is good. Frankie's
platelet count is now well into the normal range. DW took the phone call,
and reports that it was 'very high'. We also see that Frankie is slightly
anemic (cbc is at 32%, where normal is around 35% IIRC), but they normally
don't get worried at such a slight reading. If it were around 20-22% we'd
begin to see signs of the anemia and might need to do something about it.
His white blood count was a bit high, but that's not that abnormal. We
also had sufficiently high readings of liver enzymes to be concerned about
it, but there's not much we can do about it right now. We have to keep
giving him the steroids, and hopefully as we taper off to a lower level
the liver enzymes will also decrease. So far there hasn't been any sign of
liver problems, so it is in the 'things to monitor' pile.

We've lowered his steroid dose a bit and the rest remains the same. Blood
work in another week. Until then, much happiness because his platelet
count is so high. We're doing an abdominal ultrasound Tuesday to look for
signs of cancer or internal bleeding (the latter is unlikely). The groomer
(who is worried sick over Frankie) won't be seeing him any time soon,
since the vet doesn't think the close exposure with the other dogs and the
added stress is good while he is so heavily immuno-suppressed. I think
she'll understand.

DW and I are doing fine, though I find myself worrying all the time about
losing Frankie. We weren't ready for this sudden onset, but are coping
with it as best we can. We are enjoying as Montana recommends the periods
of normalcy with great gusto. I'm just hoping that there are many many
more months of normalcy. There might be; I just don't know.

Until next update, Frankie sends his love. He's enjoying so much the extra
peanut-butter treats, and thinks he's in doggy bliss. And it is snowing!
What fun to watch Frankie in it! Last night he really enjoyed it. Today he's
a bit slower, as he has been since this whole thing came on. I'd be so happy
if he'd regain his full enthusiasm, but I'll take what I get when I get it.

Have a good weekend, friends.

Chad

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com