Looking to switch dog food from Innova(too expensive!) $37 per 33# bag

Old March 11th 05, 04:43 AM
chris c

Default Looking to switch dog food from Innova(too expensive!) $37 per 33# bag

We bought another pup about 5 months ago. The food is very expensive cause
we use a premium food. i would love to keep them on the Innova. It has all
the ingredients you could ask for. But it costs $37 for a 33# bag. We were
looking at the pet store today and I noticed Nutro Max which seemed to have
some good ingredients with no by products for $25 per 40# bag (maybe a few
pounds less on the weight, can't remember0. This is a significant savings. U

I would appreciate some input (suggestions, advice, experiences) for foods
that you folks are using. If I am going to save only a few bucks , I will
just keep them on the Innova though. Thanks a lot. I have a Bullmastiff and
an English Mastiff by the way.

Old March 11th 05, 12:55 PM
Scott Rogahn

I feed my German shepherd puppy Nutro large breed puppy with good results.
Keep in mind the Innova is a very calorie dense food. 557 kcal/cup vs
(this is why I don't use it. I feed and don't want the weight gain) Your
dogs may need to eat more of the nutro, so you may not save as much money as
you think.

You also may want to look a large breed dog food, although this probably is
not as important once they are grown and the skeletal structure is as big as
its going to get

Old March 11th 05, 07:55 PM
Rocky

chris c said in rec.pets.dogs.misc:

We were
looking at the pet store today and I noticed Nutro Max
which seemed to have some good ingredients with no by
products for $25 per 40# bag (maybe a few pounds less on
the weight, can't remember0. This is a significant savings.

About 7 years ago I switched my dogs the other way around, from
Nutro Max to Innova. In Canadian dollars, at that time the
Nutro cost $30 for a 40 pound bag and Innova was $50 for the 33
pound bag (almost exactly double the per pound cost). Both dogs
ate significantly less of the Innova, though, so the dollars per
month worked out about the same between the two foods.