Expensive vet care for old blind dog

Old December 8th 05, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Expensive vet care for old blind dog

Our 11 year Shih Tzu is blind from cataracts. At 3 he became very ill
from something unknown. He was hypercalcemic, lost weight, and lost
his hair. After many tests and much cost, nothing was ever diagnosed
and he improved. Since then he has never seemed very healthy. The vet
recently did more blood and urine tests and they came out normal. She
did note that he has lost his front teeth, needs teeth cleaning, and
has some black spots on his gums that could be melanoma. They want to
do a teeth cleaning, possible extraction, and biopsy. This will all
cost around $500. We aren't sure this is worth the cost at this time.
If he does have melanoma, the prognosis isn't good, so we would have
wasted all the money of the teeth cleaning, etc.

Old December 8th 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Laxrunners wrote:

Our 11 year Shih Tzu is blind from cataracts. At 3 he became very ill
from something unknown. He was hypercalcemic, lost weight, and lost
his hair. After many tests and much cost, nothing was ever diagnosed
and he improved. Since then he has never seemed very healthy. The vet
recently did more blood and urine tests and they came out normal. She
did note that he has lost his front teeth, needs teeth cleaning, and
has some black spots on his gums that could be melanoma. They want to
do a teeth cleaning, possible extraction, and biopsy. This will all
cost around $500. We aren't sure this is worth the cost at this time.
If he does have melanoma, the prognosis isn't good, so we would have
wasted all the money of the teeth cleaning, etc.

Well, do the biopsy first. Find out what the black spots are. If it
were my dog and the prognosis were grim, I doubt I'd subject an 11 year
old blind dog in already dicey health to anesthesia and extractions.

If the news is bad, take your dog home and make him a very happy pup.
Let him sleep on the couch. Hold him when he asks to be held. Let him
have a tiny bit of whatever you're having, even if it's total junk, just
because he asks. And finally, when his bad times outweigh his good
times, you help him to go.

Kathleeb

Old December 9th 05, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I think it might be time for a new dog. SOunds harsh, but been there,
done that.. 3 times. Life without a dog is MUCH too simple..

Old December 9th 05, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Do what needs to be done...When your buddy looks up and wants to play do
it...When he gives you the look he needs help....Then do what needs to be
done...Money at this point need not be the issue...Love and knowing when
it's times are really what it's all about...My thoughts are with you...GG

ups.com...