Metacam

Old February 28th 05, 02:19 PM
David Sherman

Default Metacam

My dog has had a slight limp for the past couple of weeks.

The vet has ruled out any paw trouble, disk problems in the neck area, and
has ruled out Lyme Disease.

So she may just have a sore or sprained ankle for which the vet perscribed a
weeks worth of Metacam.

I did a Google search for Metacam, but didn't find any red flags or bad
press.

Do any of you have an opinion about Metacam either way?

Thanks.

Old February 28th 05, 02:45 PM
Tee

"David Sherman" wrote in message

Do any of you have an opinion about Metacam either way?

I've heard nothing but good about it. A friend's dog has been on Metacam
for over a year and will be on it for life. He loves it (its honey flavored
so no fighting to get the dog to take it) and has done well on it.

--
Tara

Old February 28th 05, 05:33 PM
Rocky

David Sherman said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Do any of you have an opinion about Metacam either way?

My old girl was on it for the last month of her life (she died
of ostesarcoma, bone cancer, that started in a back leg).
Metacam was a wonder drug for her, she was able to walk
comfortably and, for the first time in quite some while,
actually initiated play with my younger dogs.

I suspect, though, that the Metacam indirectly resulted in an
earlier death - it masked the pain, leading to her greater
activity and some massive swelling. She may have lived a few
weeks longer, but there would have been no comparision as to
quality of life in her last days.

In your situation, I'd ask your vet if the Metacam might mask
your dog's symptoms to the point where she wouldn't rest her
injury.

Old March 1st 05, 01:47 AM
Spot

Even though it doesn't seem to have as severe side effects that Rimadyl and
Deramaxx to it is still an NSAID and as such you still have to watch for
side effects of internal bleeding and liver or kidney damage. With any of
these medications you must have labs drawn prior to starting and follow up
regular labs have to be taken to be sure the dog is not developing liver or
kidney problems from the medication.

I am in no way against these meds they are a life saver for many dogs. My
dog Barney lived comfortably for over 5 years first using Rimadyl then
Deramaxx with no ill effects from either. But many dogs do have problems
and it's because they are not monitored.

Please don't assume it's completely safe it's only safe when used properly.

Celeste

Old March 1st 05, 07:50 PM
Rocky

David Sherman said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Howdy Wiz,

You didn't answer legitimate responses to your questions, yet
you found the time to converse with Howe. What's up with that?

Old March 1st 05, 08:13 PM
David Sherman

Rocky wrote on 3/1/05 1:50 PM:

David Sherman said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Howdy Wiz,

You didn't answer legitimate responses to your questions, yet
you found the time to converse with Howe. What's up with that?

Quite right. I was just having a little fun with Wiz, and I didn't have
much time.

I am grateful for your response as well as Celeste.

In your situation, I'd ask your vet if the Metacam might mask
your dog's symptoms to the point where she wouldn't rest her
injury.

The vet made a point to tell me to keep my dog's exercise to a minimum for a
few days because the meds it might make her feel better before the injury
has a chance to heal.

A year and a half Goldendoodle with a lot of energy and a pushover owner
like me is hard to keep down, but I'm doing my best!

Thanks again.

Old March 1st 05, 08:31 PM
Rocky

David Sherman said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

You didn't answer legitimate responses to your questions,
yet you found the time to converse with Howe. What's up
with that?

Quite right. I was just having a little fun with Wiz, and
I didn't have much time.

Priorities, I guess.

I am grateful for your response as well as Celeste.

OK.