Bones

Old March 1st 05, 04:50 PM
John Bennett

Default Bones

Can a dog be given beef rib bones?

Old March 1st 05, 05:23 PM
Cate

"John Bennett" wrote in news:db0Vd.90296
:

Can a dog be given beef rib bones?

It depends on the size of your dog and how watchful you are, among other
things.

I once gave my Lab a whole 8-inch beef rib bone while I was talking on the
phone, standing right over him. While I was looking away for about 15
seconds, he apparently swallowed the thing whole. In one gulp. He'd never
done anything like that before.

Luckily, it came out in pieces, and he was fine. But it made me nervous,
and I've never done it again.

Cate

Old March 1st 05, 07:05 PM
John Bennett

Sounds like my shepherds that pulverized bones like they were cookies. But
I have a tiny dog now and was wondering about splinters.

Old March 2nd 05, 02:52 AM

You're both dangerHOWES people for dogs and innocent children...

Please pass this page on to all dog owners. It could
save a dog's life one day! Please link to this page on
your website by uploading these images to your web
server. Just "right click" and "save as". Link them back
to http://www.christyscanines.com/rawhide.htm

Email Received on September 9th, 2003-

"My healthy 3 year old lab died of salmonella poisoning a few
months ago. I couldn't understand how she got it, until my vet
told me that rawhides are frequently contaminated with salmonella.
Like most Lab's she was a tenacious chewer, so I bought her
rawhides to chew on. Little did I know it would end up killing
her. "
Gina Porto

Email Received on March 15, 2003-

"I just wanted to let everyone know that gives their dogs rawhide
to NEVER give it again. Our 8 month old Golden Retriever died
last night because he dug up an old rawhide and choked to death.
We are devastated and hope to let everyone we know the dangers of
rawhide. I wish my vet would have stressed it more.

With sadness,
K=2E Donnelly
GDonn0309@..."

Is rawhide good for your dog?

It's cheap, it's in all the pet stores and you just know little
Rover has to chew on something! But before you go dig up a bone
for your beloved family member, let's look at the facts:

What is rawhide?

According to a company who makes and markets
many types of doggy chews:

"Rawhide is the inner layer of the hide of any cleft-
hoofed bovine livestock."

Rawhide is literally the outside of a cow - the skin. It provides
dogs with a satisfying chewing experience plus it's cheap and easy
to find. So how can it be dangerous?

How is Rawhide made?

A rawhide manufacturer states on their website:

"The animal's hide is transported to processing plants where it is
split, washed, and cleaned. The hides are then cut, formed and
dried into many varieties of rawhide you see in the stores. In
less developed countries a lack of modern roads and refrigeration
trucks often requires the use of preservatives to get skins from
outer-lying areas to processing plants."

Many Rawhides are imported from other countries.

"Products marked "imported" have been hand-selected by our staff
from reputable companies whose manufacturing processes meet our
high standards."

Imported Rawhides:

'Tests on imported pet products made from animal hides by UK
health authorities revealed many carried the salmonella bug, a
common cause of gastro-intestinal infections in humans."
"They found that one in three batches imported from Thailand and
one in eight from China contained salmonellas that had survived
processing and manufacturing"

"Doctors warned that small children might be at most risk of
infection, since they were especially likely to come into close
contact with dogs and their chews."
*Reference*

"Salmonella bacteria is often present especially if the rawhide
comes from outside the US. Another problem is arsenic used as a
preservative.

This is, in essence, giving your pet poison!

Other dangerous additives can include antibiotics, lead and
insecticides. Some countries like Thailand even include pieces of
dog and cat skin in these products.

~Veterinary Q & A: Pancreatitis in Dogs and Cat

"Dog chews made from rawhide, bone or other animal materials or
parts are still considered "food" under FDA law, since they are
comprised of materials that are consumable by the pet." ~Food &
Drug Administration "Rawhide is not a food, but a safe chewable
toy that can be, and most often is, consumed." ~ A rawhide
manufacturer.

I don't know about you, but I don't like companies
lying to me to buy their products!

What can happen if my dog consumes rawhide?

Health problems from rawhide chews include sore throat,
choking, intestinal blockage as well as the acute pancreatitis

Symptoms of acute pancreatitis can vary from mild gastrointestinal
upset to collapse and death. Most animals with common
gastrointestinal upset have any or all of the following:

Vomiting

Not eating

Painful abdomen, hunched appearance (more common in dogs)

Fever or below-normal body temperature

Diarrhea

Depression

Dehydration (diagnosed by sunken eyes, dry
mouth and the skin "tents" when pinched)"

Rawhide is "digested quite slowly and, if consumed
rapidly, can cause either vomiting or diarrhea from
the many pieces still sitting undigested in the GI tract.

"Rawhide chews can lodge in the throat and cause
choking, or a large piece may be swallowed, scraping
and irritating the throat and esophagus on the way down.
Once in the stomach or intestinal tract, a large piece of
rawhide can also create a physical obstruction." *Reference*

What about cow hooves and pig ears?

"Cow hooves are even more dangerous than rawhides.
They are hard enough that a dog can actually break a
tooth on one. They can also be chewed up into sharp
fragments which may cause a partial intestinal obstruction.

Partial obstructions are often difficult
to diagnose until the point at which the fragment is ready to
perforate the wall of the bowel from pressure against the sharp
edges. If perforation has occured, the infection that ensues from
leakage of intestinal contents can be fatal." *Reference*

A recent FDA advisory published by the U.S. Dept. of Health and
Human services on Oct.1, 1999, stated that there is "a nationwide
public health warning alerting consumers about a number of recent
cases in Canada of human illnesses apparently related to contact
with dog chew products made from pork or beef-derived materials
(e.g., pigs ears, beef jerky treats, smoked hooves, pigs skins,
etc.)... These products may pose a risk of bacterial infection
such as Salmonella infantis which can cause flu-like symptoms in
normally healthy people, but may cause far more serious - even
life-threatening injury in immune-compromised patients.

FDA is urging pet owners... to handle them carefully. Anyone who
comes in contact with these treats should wash their hands with
hot water and soap. Initial reports of illnesses came from Canada
and involved Canadian products, but subsequent examination of
similar products produced in the U.S. indicate that all pet chew
products of this type may pose a risk...."

There are also behavior problems that occur while your dog is
happily chewing on a piece of animal. This item can quickly
become a valuable toy and Rover can become quite possessive of his
animal hide.

I have been snarled and growled at on many occasions
while my dog was snacking on her "precious bone".
Anything that is made with real animals can cause this
problem.

What if a child was playing on the floor and the loving and
protective family dog was next to her, chewing on a rawhide
bone, and the child reaches for her toy next to Rover?
Rover only thinks that she is going to try to steal his "precious"
so he suddenly becomes protective of his bone and snaps!

The child can be seriously hurt and Rover could be destroyed!

As Rover saw it, he only knows how to be a dog and his bone was in
jeopardy! Rover could even have been trained from a puppy that
any human can take his food away, yet when basic and natural
instincts kick in he knows only what he can do to survive and keep
his food.

If you give rawhide to your dog, you need to constantly monitor
his chewing, throwing away small pieces, watch for adverse effects
to his health, and keep hands clear of his mouth! Why bother??

To solve all of these problems, it's best not to take any chances.

Just throw them away and never buy them again. Rover won't miss,
them, I promise!

That includes all rawhide chews, pig ears, beef bones, cow hooves,
and anything that was ever part of a living animal!

So what can my dog chew on that's safe?

There are lots of safe alternatives to rawhides including
vegetable and meat-flavored bones made from potato and corn starch
and bones made from extremely strong rubber infused with
flavorings.

Greenies=E2 are all natural and safe and my dog loves them & great
for their teeth! Millions of dogs have confirmed that Kong
is "THE WORLD'S BEST DOG TOY!"

The alternatives are more expensive than rawhide but you will save
money on possible future vet bills or even saving your dog's life!

*Before changing anything in your dog's diet, please remember to
consult your Veterinarian. They can give you the best advice on
what's best for your pet! All opinions and views are expressly
written by Renee Christy and are not sponsored or the same views
as the other links on this page.*

[...]

Do you have a rawhide story? Maybe something happened to your
dog? Would you like the world to know about the dangers or
rawhide? Send us your story he renee AT christyscanines
DOTcom

Please pass this page on to all dog owners. It could save a dog's
life one day! Please link to this page on your website by
uploading these images to your web server. Just "right click" and
"save as". Link them back to
http://www.christyscanines.com/rawhide.htm

Get your own online store for FREE!

All Images and writing Copyright =A92003 Renee Christy

Old March 2nd 05, 07:14 PM
Ronna

Sounds like my shepherds that pulverized bones like they were
cookies. But
I have a tiny dog now and was wondering about splinters

Make sure the bones are raw. Cooked bones will splinter.

Old March 2nd 05, 07:40 PM
Rocky

Ronna said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Make sure the bones are raw. Cooked bones will splinter.

And smoked bones can be chewed into powder, sometimes causing
impaction.

Old March 2nd 05, 07:51 PM

on 2005-03-02 at 18:40 wrote:

And smoked bones can be chewed into powder, sometimes causing
impaction.

i gave my dogs a smoked bone *once*. i took it away when i
looked down and saw that elliott was able to crumble it. i
figured that couldn't possibly be a good thing.

good, heavy, raw beef femur bones seem to work well. and,
when the marrow is gone, you can pack the center with peanut
butter. harriet and elliott say it's pure crack.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/ (updated dailyish, apparently)
Old March 2nd 05, 08:08 PM
Rocky

shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

i gave my dogs a smoked bone *once*. i took it away when i
looked down and saw that elliott was able to crumble it. i
figured that couldn't possibly be a good thing.

I could give Murphy any type of bone because she took it easy
on them. When she was old, smoked bones were best for her.
When Friday came here, he got hold of one and finished it in no
time. Vet, KY, finger. No more smoked bones here.

good, heavy, raw beef femur bones seem to work well. and,
when the marrow is gone, you can pack the center with peanut
butter. harriet and elliott say it's pure crack.

Yup. A good used (and proven) femur bone is even better than a
Kong, and is the only other chew "toy" I'll leave my dogs with
unsupervised.

Sharp Edges on Bones... Q Dog rescue 4 December 13th 04 09:48 PM
light reading dogs giets Alpha Dog behavior 32 March 5th 04 06:22 AM
light reading dogs giets Alpha Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 04 09:41 PM