Scared Mastiff puppy

Old September 3rd 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
mike

Default Scared Mastiff puppy

My wife and I purchased a full blooded English Mastiff just yesterday,
he is 14 weeks old. My puppy was growing up with his two sisters and
parents in a "run free" environment, and we have moved him to the
suburbs. We have a decent sized fenced in yard, and plenty of room
for him to explore. I know it takes time for an animal to adjust to
his new owners, and environment, but he seems to be petrified of men,
and is just now opening up to my wife. Is this behavior normal? How
long does this behavior last? Not knowing if he sustained
emotional/physical trauma by a man, will he ever open up to me? Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

--
Posted at author's request, using moderated http://www.PetForumz.com interface
Thread archive: http://www.PetForumz.com/Scared-Mast...pict72543.html
Old September 3rd 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"mike" wrote in message
news:471655_a1c747d155e5ed763d27d91caf674539@petfo rumz.com...
My wife and I purchased a full blooded English Mastiff just yesterday,
he is 14 weeks old. My puppy was growing up with his two sisters and
parents in a "run free" environment, and we have moved him to the
suburbs. We have a decent sized fenced in yard, and plenty of room
for him to explore. I know it takes time for an animal to adjust to
his new owners, and environment, but he seems to be petrified of men,
and is just now opening up to my wife. Is this behavior normal? How
long does this behavior last? Not knowing if he sustained
emotional/physical trauma by a man, will he ever open up to me? Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

What does your breeder say? Does she have any insight into this? Was there
a problem when you visited the dogs and the puppies at the breeder's home?

That said, he is a baby. I don't know what the traditional "fear period" is
for English Mastiffs, but for many breeds it comes between 8 and 13 weeks.
It's possible that something happened during that period that has created
problems like you fear. But it is more likely that he is just a baby and is
overwhelmed.

What sort of behavior, specifically, are you seeing that has you concerned?
And where is it happening? What sort of daily activities is the dog
involved in? Is he inside with you? Do the problems happen when he is
inside, outside, both?

Judy

Old September 3rd 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article 471655_a1c747d155e5ed763d27d91caf674539@petforumz .com,
mike wrote:

My wife and I purchased a full blooded English Mastiff just yesterday,
he is 14 weeks old. My puppy was growing up with his two sisters and
parents in a "run free" environment, and we have moved him to the
suburbs. We have a decent sized fenced in yard, and plenty of room
for him to explore. I know it takes time for an animal to adjust to
his new owners, and environment, but he seems to be petrified of men,
and is just now opening up to my wife. Is this behavior normal? How
long does this behavior last? Not knowing if he sustained
emotional/physical trauma by a man, will he ever open up to me? Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you prepared for a possible lifetime of fear issues?

Puppies who stay with their litter past 12 weeks, who do not get good
socialization off premises and with other people, often have huge fear
issues. You can't make up for lack of early socialization. While you
can work on the issues with diligence and training, you've missed a very
big window.

Why did the breeder have 3 puppies still at 14 weeks? Did the breeder
indicate any socialization or training to you? How did you find this
breeder and litter? How did you choose him from the litter? Was he
terrified of both of you then? What was he breeder's explanation? What
was your reasoning in bringing home a puppy who was not outgoing and
confident?

I know this may sound judgemental, but it's really more so about the
breeder than you. A dog is a long commitment. Before you get too
attached, you need to decide if you can live with a huge dog who is
going to probably deal with fear issues for years to come. What does
your contract say about returns?

--
Janet Boss
Old September 3rd 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie

"mike" wrote in message
news:471655_a1c747d155e5ed763d27d91caf674539@petfo rumz.com...
My wife and I purchased a full blooded English Mastiff just yesterday,
he is 14 weeks old. My puppy was growing up with his two sisters and
parents in a "run free" environment, and we have moved him to the
suburbs. We have a decent sized fenced in yard, and plenty of room
for him to explore. I know it takes time for an animal to adjust to
his new owners, and environment, but he seems to be petrified of men,
and is just now opening up to my wife. Is this behavior normal? How
long does this behavior last? Not knowing if he sustained
emotional/physical trauma by a man, will he ever open up to me? Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Just yesterday? You seem to be expecting an awful lot from this puppy in
just one day. Imagine how you would feel if you were taken away from the
only family you've ever known, carried to a strange house, yard,
neighbourhood and people. He's understandably nervous and upset. You say
you know it takes time to adjust, but you haven't given him any time.
Relax, and don't rush him. If he's treated gently and calmly by everyone he
meets, he'll loosen up. Give him the time you know he needs. He doesn't
know you're his forever family yet.
--
Phyrie
Kiba the Cav's Pics:

Old September 3rd 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Phyrie" wrote:

Just yesterday? You seem to be expecting an awful lot from this puppy in
just one day. Give him the time you know he needs. He doesn't
know you're his forever family yet.

I *SO* disagree. A well raised puppy should be inquisitive and seek
humans when unsure, not fear them. Fears of unknown things (traffic,
tvs', whatever), if the home is a very different environment, but the
people? It's one thing to take a neglected puppy off the street and
work with them, but when buying from a breeder, this kind of temperament
is not excusable IMO.

--
Janet Boss
Old September 3rd 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
diddy[_2_]

Janet Boss spoke these words of wisdom in

"Phyrie" wrote:

Just yesterday? You seem to be expecting an awful lot from this puppy in
just one day. Give him the time you know he needs. He doesn't
know you're his forever family yet.

I *SO* disagree. A well raised puppy should be inquisitive and seek
humans when unsure, not fear them. Fears of unknown things (traffic,
tvs', whatever), if the home is a very different environment, but the
people? It's one thing to take a neglected puppy off the street and
work with them, but when buying from a breeder, this kind of temperament
is not excusable IMO.

Phyrie, Janet is right.
Old September 4th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Wed, 03 Sep 2008 10:22:07 -0500, mike wrote:

My wife and I purchased a full blooded English Mastiff just yesterday,
he is 14 weeks old. My puppy was growing up with his two sisters and
parents in a "run free" environment,

What does that mean exactly, Mike?

"Run free" environment.

Was the puppy obtained from a responsible breeder, or just someone who
somehow managed to breed his mastiff(s)?

I know it takes time for an animal to adjust to
his new owners, and environment, but he seems to be petrified of men,
and is just now opening up to my wife.

That depends.

A puppy should never be fearful or shy, if properly bred and then
properly socialized.

Is this behavior normal?

No, not really.

How long does this behavior last?

It could last the dog's entire life, especially if the pup's
fear/shyness has been *inherited* from its parents.

If it's poor *socialization*, it may or may not last forever, provided
how much more socialization you can manage to get in during the next
few weeks (an extremely CRITICAL period), and then keep at it.

Not knowing if he sustained
emotional/physical trauma by a man, will he ever open up to me?

Can't say.

But your breeder (hopefully) is an excellent source of information
regarding your new pup.

Good luck!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

If this doesn't scare the **** out of you, you might be a fascist.
http://volokh.com/posts/1220243277.shtml

Drill! Drill! Drill!
http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...h/4279775.html

Obama wants U.S. to be more like China! CHINA! What a maroon.
http://www.riehlworldview.com/carniv...bama-just.html

Why Obama's Red Mentor Is News.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/...r_is_news.html

Obama Played by Chicago Rules.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1219...comment aries

The danger of global warming alarmism.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf....climatechange

If the editors of the NY Times were high school students, they would flunk.
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../08/021245.php

Want to help prevent America from committing economic suicide? Don't vote for a Democrat.
http://reason.com/news/show/128096.html

The Law of Unintended Consequences.
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...l=7&thispage=1

There Are Old People and Fat People, But Few Old Fat People (the same holds true for dogs).
http://www.fightaging.org/archives/001540.php

Under the leadership of the Democratic Party, the United States continues to be the only country in the
world that is deliberately devastating its own economy by refusing to develop its energy resources.
http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../08/021214.php

John "Silky Pony" Edwards, the consummate phony.
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08092008...661.htm?page=0

Where the women are women and the men are too.
http://drhelen.blogspot.com/2008/08/...ings-gone.html
Old September 4th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Julia Altshuler

mike wrote:
My wife and I purchased a full blooded English Mastiff just yesterday,
he is 14 weeks old. My puppy was growing up with his two sisters and
parents in a "run free" environment, and we have moved him to the
suburbs. We have a decent sized fenced in yard, and plenty of room
for him to explore. I know it takes time for an animal to adjust to
his new owners, and environment, but he seems to be petrified of men,
and is just now opening up to my wife. Is this behavior normal? How
long does this behavior last? Not knowing if he sustained
emotional/physical trauma by a man, will he ever open up to me? Any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

When you say he seems petrified of men, what does he do exactly to
communicate fear? I ask because it is possible that his body language
is communicating something else, something that you interpret as fear.
Has he shown the fear with other men, or just with you?

For example, if your puppy doesn't run up to you and play but stays
frozen in one spot, he might be afraid, but he might also be seeing
something behind you, might be feeling overstimulated, might not feel
like playing with you.

The advice to check with his breeder is good advice.
Was his breeder male or female?

In the mean time, the best way to help him get over his fear is to help
him see you as the bringer of good things. You should be giving him his
meals. You should be interacting with him in a calm, steady, upbeat
manner. If you want to pet him (who wouldn't want to pet a 14 week old
puppy?), do so with confidence. He should be getting used to walks
outside on a leash, so give him upbeat fun walks. Make sure you're
confident and happy, not jerky or unpredictable. Puppies often respond
to women's high pitched voices, so speak to him in a falsetto. Sleep in
the same room with him. The more he gets used to you, the less
frightened he'll be, and sleeping is actually a good time to do this.
He'll get used to the idea that he can spend hours and hours with you
and he never gets hurt.

And let us know what happens whatever the case.

--Lia

Old September 4th 08, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Phyrie

. ..

"Phyrie" wrote:

Just yesterday? You seem to be expecting an awful lot from this puppy
in
just one day. Give him the time you know he needs. He doesn't
know you're his forever family yet.

I *SO* disagree. A well raised puppy should be inquisitive and seek
humans when unsure, not fear them. Fears of unknown things (traffic,
tvs', whatever), if the home is a very different environment, but the
people? It's one thing to take a neglected puppy off the street and
work with them, but when buying from a breeder, this kind of temperament
is not excusable IMO.

Phyrie, Janet is right.

OK, I'm happy to give way to much more experienced dog owners. But I can't
help but relate this to Kiba: his breeder would NOT allow him to come home
before 12 weeks. He travelled well in a crate all the way home, sleeping
most of the way, about 4 hours. When I got him home, I brought the crate
into the house and just left it open on the living room floor. He hadn't
seen my husband since he was 6 weeks. He wouldn't come out of the crate for
almost an hour. We didn't rush him, and my husband spent a great deal of
time down on the floor, making soothing noises, turning his head away when
the puppy peeped out, yawning widely, and in general offering all the
calming signals he could. I have this on video which I may one day get up
on YouTube. Kiba was not frightened, but tentative. He came to me a little
easier, but I had spent the last 6 or 7 hours with him, a couple of those
hours at the breeders, finishing up our business and general visiting. We
made a dreadful mistake and introduced our cat to him that same day, and
virtually forced the cat to hate him. She's never recovered having this
horrible creature move into her house, and takes every opportunity to show
her displeasure. Kiba loves the cat and thinks they are best friends.
*sigh* Kiba certainly got over any timidity or shyness, but he was a little
unsure at first. We simply didn't press him, gave him space, and within a
day or so he was a delight. It just took a bit of time, very little in the
larger scheme of things.

Old September 4th 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
"Phyrie" wrote:

Kiba certainly got over any timidity or shyness, but he was a little
unsure at first. We simply didn't press him, gave him space, and within a
day or so he was a delight.

Well, I wouldn't have left him in the crate. First thing home is out to
the yard to potty!

Sure, I have social breeds, but you do too. I collected Marcie from
the airport. She was there, in her zip-tied crate and while the baggage
guy offered to wheel her to my car for me, I wanted her OUT. He
couldn't cut those damn zip ties fast enough for me. I took her RIGHT
to the grass to pee. She had just been in a crate for 4 hours after
all! As SOON as I took her out of the crate, she was all wiggles and
kisses - as it SHOULD be. I wouldn't have expected differently.

When we got home She met the big dogs IMMEDIATELY and the cats soon
after. A love affair all the way around.

I've had a lot of puppies join this household (many were just fosters)
and a few cats/kittens as well. They came from all sorts of backgrounds
- good breeders, the street, shelters, nice people who found a pregnant
cat and let it have kittens. NONE of them was ever afraid of me. Not
because they had never met me before nor seen me in weeks, but because I
was the human - the safe haven.

A few of my foster puppies have had some fear issues. Shadows, that
kind of thing. Perhaps not the boldest or most outgoing dogs (one
reason they didn't get adopted by me), but afraid of their people? Not
even close.

--
Janet Boss