Solid Blue Mini-Dachshund - rare?

Old April 12th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Solid Blue Mini-Dachshund - rare?

Hi -

A friend, who is a first time breeder, has a solid blue mini-dox that
we are interested in. He says that this coloring on the dog is very
rare, therefore they are worth more.

Looking thru the web I've found a couple of sites that say b/c of the
breeding in the past 15 years or so there are no "rare" or "exotic"
colors for mini-dachshunds. However, I have not been able to find a
site with a picture of one.

Any help from anyone with experience in this area would be appreciated.
I'd love to bring this little girl home, but I don't want to be taken
for a ride either (moneywise).

Thanks,
Toni

Old April 12th 06, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Toni" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi -

A friend, who is a first time breeder, has a solid blue mini-dox that
we are interested in. He says that this coloring on the dog is very
rare, therefore they are worth more.

"Rare" in coat patterns, colors or other things like size should NEVER
equate to higher prices. If you read the standard for the Dachshund gray
(blue) is only specified as a two-color coat which should have tan markings.

Looking thru the web I've found a couple of sites that say b/c of the
breeding in the past 15 years or so there are no "rare" or "exotic"
colors for mini-dachshunds. However, I have not been able to find a
site with a picture of one.

Probably because any reputable breeder wouldn't post a picture of one if
they had it because its a fault, not something to be advertised.

Any help from anyone with experience in this area would be appreciated.
I'd love to bring this little girl home, but I don't want to be taken
for a ride either (moneywise).

"Rare" in coat patterns, colors or other things like size should NEVER
equate to higher prices. It means the dog doesn't meet the standard. Do
you pay more for mismarked clothes or are they the ones generally found in
outlet stores because they're not 100% correct?

If you read the standard for the Dachshund gray (blue) is only specified as
a two-color coat which should have tan markings. This dog's coat color
might be unusual but its still a *fault* and not something that should be
paid more for but rather something to be paid less for.

--
Tara

Old April 12th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 11 Apr 2006 18:02:39 -0700 Toni whittled these words:
Hi -

A friend, who is a first time breeder, has a solid blue mini-dox that
we are interested in. He says that this coloring on the dog is very
rare, therefore they are worth more.

The color is not favored because of the health problems that
are associated with it.
http://www.dachshundlankennels.com/ColorDilution.html

Do YOU think this dog should be worth more? And what does that tell you
aboout the knowledge and ethics of this breeder?

Any help from anyone with experience in this area would be appreciated.
I'd love to bring this little girl home, but I don't want to be taken
for a ride either (moneywise).

Good plan. I would stay away from this particular breeder. If the
breeder is not knowledgable about color inheritance then chances are the
breeder hasn't been breeding for good health. For example, PRA leads to
blindness. The problem can't be identified by typical vet examination
until it has progressed quite far. By that time the dogs have already
been bred. So a knowledgeble breeder needs to do two things (a) know the
pedigree to detect which pairing are risky and avoid them (b) test both
dogs prior to breeding to catch the problem at the first moment it is
detectable. Were both parents screened for patellar luxation? What has the
breeder done to reduce the risks of other genetic problems like Disc
Disease, epilepsy, vWd? Why pay good money for a dog that was bred with
little knowledge?

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old April 12th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"scfundogs" wrote in message

"Rare" in coat patterns, colors or other things like size should NEVER
equate to higher prices. If you read the standard for the Dachshund gray
(blue) is only specified as a two-color coat which should have tan
markings.

"Rare" in coat patterns, colors or other things like size should NEVER
equate to higher prices. It means the dog doesn't meet the standard.

This is a great example of hitting send before proof-reading. Sorry, I
meant to delete the second appearance of the "Rare...." sentences

--
Tara