so far... ok....

Old February 20th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judith Althouse

Default so far... ok....

I am so glad things seem to working out with your new dog Homer. I
admire your inpatience. I am the exact opposite when introducing a new
dog to the house (at least the last 2 that are PBT mix). I kept them
totally isolated when they first arrived as they were strays off the
street and I did not know anything about their health or behavior.
The first PBT mix that came along and was totally isolated from my
elderly dogs for a month or sooooo. They all knew about each other but
didn't meet for awhile. I am by no way suggesting that is the way to do
it just sharing my experience. There were no problems for a year until
he reached the approximate age of 2 and he suddenly attacked my old Lab.
In retrospect it was not suddenly. Buck had been giving him "the look"
for quite awhile. He still does. They are arch enemies. They both
think they are the Alpha dog. My old fella is the Alpha dog and will be
till the day he dies. As I have mentioned a million times everyone else
gets along......strange to me?????
I hope things are all good with your three some....Please give us an
update when you have time....
I know you have far more experience than I do in dealing with PBT's
but I do believe that time can fix SOME things. Every body needs a
little time to get used to each other....
Gotta go....my well trained PBT mix is biting my ankle trying to get
his toy that rolled behind my foot..

Be Free.....Judy