Happy Dance time

Old August 15th 04, 07:54 PM
Amanda Tikkanen

Default Happy Dance time

I took Beau out yesterday at a UKC show in LaPorte, IN. It was just a
"for fun" weekend after we came home with nothing from the Premier in
June (it was a first for me--I'd never come home with *nothing* with
any dog... and he'd won the Herding Group the last weekend he was out
before Premier).

So he was a bit of a butt in the first show ring, which was
understandable as we'd got to the show grounds at 8:30 am and it was
now 5:00pm. He moved well, but he just doesn't have the charisma a
Sheltie, Pem, WS, Aussie, GSD, etc. have. No biggie, there was still
another judge.

The judge for show 2 had placed Beau Reserve Champion at the '03
Premier (5 Champions in the class) and Group 2 at the MI Classic this
past April. I figured he'd at least get a placement.

And then he got happy and started to MOVE and be happy (spending some
time licking my face) and look like he enjoyed being there and won the
Group... I'd gone to the wrong end of the lineup when they were
writing down our armband numbers and I remember saying "I'm sorry, I'm
not used to being up here"... so I *HAD* to stay for Best in Show.

The BIS ring had a Whippet (Sighthound/Pariah Group), a Daschund
(Scenthound), Doberman (Guardian), American Eskimo (Northern),
Yorkshire Terrier (Companion), APBT (Terrier), and Beau the
stub-butted Catahoochie (Herding). In the first show the Dobie went
Reserve to the Eskie....

The judge went over the dogs again, really going over Beau, moving
him, looking at his skull... and he lined us all up. He finally made
his decision:

"There are a lot of really good dogs here. My Reserve is the
Doberman." I slumped a little bit, figuring the Eskie would get it
(the judge has had Eskies for years and years). "And my Best in Show
is the Catahoula."

I was told I nearly fainted. I don't remember. I just know that Beau
was still holding a *Perfect* stack until I told him he was a good
boy.

People were amazed that this is my first Conformation dog... my first
Champion... my first Group placer... first Group winner... first
CGC... first BIS.

Okay... *technically* it's a BIMBS... multi-breed, not all-breed.
Belgians weren't offered, but please don't rain on my parade. G

-Amanda
Lucy Anna Skye, MB-CD, CGC
Ch. Cat's Cradle's Beaufort, CGC
http://www.uberpest.com
Old August 15th 04, 08:13 PM
diannes

Amanda Tikkanen wrote:
"There are a lot of really good dogs here. My Reserve is the
Doberman." I slumped a little bit, figuring the Eskie would get it
(the judge has had Eskies for years and years). "And my Best in Show
is the Catahoula."

WOO-HOO!!!! You *GO* girl!!! Congrats to you & Beau; I'm so happy
for you both.

And I bet he's is the first NBT BIS, too - is he?

Dianne

Old August 15th 04, 10:18 PM
Tiger Lily

oh wow...... what a rush..... simply BEING in the group is a rush..... but
to win the BIS!!!!!!!!

congratulations, Amanda........ i can feel it :-)

enjoy cloud 9 for a while :-)

kate

Old August 15th 04, 11:12 PM

In rec.pets.dogs.activities Amanda Tikkanen wrote:

The judge went over the dogs again, really going over Beau, moving
him, looking at his skull... and he lined us all up. He finally made
his decision:

"There are a lot of really good dogs here. My Reserve is the
Doberman." I slumped a little bit, figuring the Eskie would get it
(the judge has had Eskies for years and years). "And my Best in Show
is the Catahoula."

I was told I nearly fainted. I don't remember. I just know that Beau

Oh shoot. NOw I'm trying to imagine this story if you HAD fainted. Hee hee
Sorry. .... But more seriously, congratulations! As you know it takes
BOTH a great dog AND a good handler.

was still holding a *Perfect* stack until I told him he was a good
boy.

Yay! Good training! Good dog!

People were amazed that this is my first Conformation dog... my first
Champion... my first Group placer... first Group winner... first
CGC... first BIS.

Yay

Okay... *technically* it's a BIMBS... multi-breed, not all-breed.
Belgians weren't offered, but please don't rain on my parade. G

Well ..... Ok but if your head gets too big it'll pop - not that you've
shown any ominious isgns yet - you are entitled to float around for a few
days enjoying the experience.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/
Old August 15th 04, 11:25 PM
Judy

"Amanda Tikkanen" wrote in message
om...
.. "And my Best in Show
is the Catahoula."

this is my first Conformation dog... my first
Champion... my first Group placer... first Group winner... first
CGC... first BIS.

YAY! Happy Dance in the ring and Happy Dance out of the ring!

And just to be sure we have celebrated properly, Frosty Paws all around!
--
~~Judy
When life gives you lemons, ask for tequila and salt.

Old August 16th 04, 01:41 AM
Shelly & The Boys

"Amanda Tikkanen" wrote in message
om...
"There are a lot of really good dogs here. My Reserve is the
Doberman." I slumped a little bit, figuring the Eskie would get it
(the judge has had Eskies for years and years). "And my Best in Show
is the Catahoula."

Wow!!!! That is so great!!! HUGE congrats to you & Beau!!
Shelly & The Boys

Old August 16th 04, 08:58 PM
AndreaS

"Amanda Tikkanen" wrote
snip
"There are a lot of really good dogs here. My Reserve is the
Doberman." I slumped a little bit, figuring the Eskie would get it
(the judge has had Eskies for years and years). "And my Best in Show
is the Catahoula."

I was told I nearly fainted. I don't remember. I just know that Beau
was still holding a *Perfect* stack until I told him he was a good
boy.

WOW! Congratulations! That totally rocks. Pictures!

--
-Andrea Stone
Saorsa Basenjis