Please tell me which of the following breeds I should get: Akita, Doberman, Collie, Wolf Hybrid, Boxer, or GSD?

Old March 7th 05, 08:14 AM
Andrew @ Rockface

Default Please tell me which of the following breeds I should get: Akita, Doberman, Collie, Wolf Hybrid, Boxer, or GSD?

-X- wrote:
Kate Lloyd wrote:
o I might make an educated decision?

OK, first of all don't get a wolf hybrid. Wolves were not meant
to be kept in captivity and it just worng to try and domesticate
them. All the friends that I've had that have had wolf hybrids, well
the dog was misrable and only wanted to run off. Might just be me,
but I think that the wolves should be left in the wilderness where
they belong. Doberman and Akitas are great dogs, but they are also
high maintence.

They take a lot of looking after and training, especially when they
are young. These dogs have a bad rep. but if you train them
correctly they can be wonderful.
I would'nt get a German Sheperd, they are nice but their problem is
that they are also the victims of several centuries of inbreding so
they tend to have serious problems with their hind legs. They also
have other medical problems. Unless you are ready to handle this
don't get a German Sheperd unless you know it's herritage.
I don't know much about collies except that Lassie was one.
Another wonderful type of Dog is an American Pit Bull. My roommate
and I have one and he rocks. They also have to be trained
correctly, but they are wonderful dogs. There is also Rotties,
anyway I can go on and on about the pros and cons of different dogs
but I'm not going to. Hope this was helpfull.
- Kate

The only thing Kate said that I actually agree with is that you should
avoid German Shepherds and Wolf-Hybrids.

The dachshund is the true cadillac of all dog breeds. Wiener dogs kick
ass! They are the most punk rock of all dogs by far.

Pug!
http://www.dog-pictures.co.uk/dog-br...dex.php?cat=30

--
Andrew @ Rockface
np: (Winamp is not active ;-)

Old March 8th 05, 05:21 AM

he wanted to make sure he didn't get a "coon" dog.

Old March 10th 05, 02:18 PM

[rec.pets removed]

on 2005-03-10 at 13:00 wrote:

A wolf hybrid is as much of a dog as a Malmute or German
Sheperd is. All dogs are wolves and wolves are dogs.

except for that pesky domestication issue. there are real and
important cognitive differences between wolves and dogs.
because they have been domesticated, dogs look to humans for
cues and assistance while wolves do not. this makes a *huge*
difference in relative trainability and livability of dogs and
wolves.

http://www.harvardmagazine.com/on-line/030374.html

However it takes a unique, responsible, educatable person to
own a wolfdog. Just as the Malamute is not a breed for
everyone, neither is the wolfdog.

a wolfdog is not a breed.

(i wasn't going to reply to this, but since he posted it
several times, i figured Mr. Stevens must be anxious for
feedback.)

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/ (updated dailyish, apparently)
Old March 10th 05, 09:30 PM

Jim Stevens wrote:

A wolf hybrid is as much of a dog as a Malmute or German Sheperd is.
All dogs are wolves and wolves are dogs. However it takes a unique,
responsible, educatable person to own a wolfdog. Just as the Malamute
is not a breed for everyone, neither is the wolfdog. I personally
woudn't own a chihuahua (sp?).

Why not?
Old March 10th 05, 10:46 PM

One bright night in the middle of the day on 6 Mar 2005 19:52:19
-0800, in rec.pets.dogs.breeds, some person or the other wrote:

I would'nt get a German Sheperd, they are nice but their problem is
that they are also the victims of several centuries of inbreding so they
tend to have serious problems with their hind legs.

Of course you realize that the German ShepHERD Dog breed has *not*
been around for "several centuries" and that "inbrEEding" doesn't
necessarily cause problems when it is done responsibly and with proper
knowledge on the part of breeder. Right???

*~ *~ *~
Karen C.
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account! So there...

"You have no power here!
...Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you too!"
Old March 11th 05, 02:28 PM
Robin Nuttall

Jim Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:46:58 +0000, onewaits wrote:

Of course you realize that the German ShepHERD Dog breed has *not*
been around for "several centuries" and that "inbrEEding" doesn't
necessarily cause problems when it is done responsibly and with proper
knowledge on the part of breeder. Right???

Isn't "line-breeding" the preferred term?

Technically, line-breeding is a term invented by breeders, to
distinguish the inbreeding of very close relatives (mother/son,
brother/sister) from the breeding of less close relatives
(uncles/grandfather on one side, etc.) Geneticists would call both
inbreeding.

However, the mistake most people make is in thinking that all inbreeding
is bad and produces dumb dogs with health problems. That is not
necessarily the case. In fact, inbreeding can produce superior
specimens. All inbreeding does is make a dog more homozygous. Match a
super dog to another super dog that's a relative, and you may get an
even more super dog. Inbreeding and line breeding can make a line
extremely consistent. It can also expose previously hidden recessives,
some of which may be desireable and some of which may be disasterous.

ALL dogs are inbred to at least some degree. Even most mixed breeds are
just the mix of two or three breeds, and each breed is higly inbred.
Inbreeding is what makes a breed. Without inbreeding, there would be no
such thing as a German Shepherd or an Akita. ALL dogs suffer from
genetic diseases. However, due to inbreeding, different breeds either do
or do not have specific diseases--those diseases may be limited to a
breed. Dobermans do not get Fanconi Syndrome. Goldens do not get
Wobblers Disease. ALL dogs get hip dysplasia, but some breeds have a lot
of it, some very little.

As long as humans have dogs, we will be dealing with inbreeding. That's
just the way it is.

Old March 11th 05, 06:15 PM
SheWolf

"-X-" wrote in message
ups.com...
Kate Lloyd wrote:
[...]

I'd avoid a boxer, unless you have a LOT of time and room to devote to
them. They are great dogs, but very active, and large. My sister in law had
one, but had to get rid of it when he wouldn't stop chasing the cattle. And
no one here believes in penning a dog. There is no lot on the market large
enough to be fair

Old March 11th 05, 06:26 PM

[crosspostings snipped]

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:15:13 -0800, "SheWolf"
wrote:

I'd avoid a boxer, unless you have a LOT of time and room to devote to
them. They are great dogs, but very active, and large.

they're not that large (~55-60lbs), but they *are* high-octane dogs.
they need a lot of physical exercise and mental stimulation.

My sister in law had
one, but had to get rid of it when he wouldn't stop chasing the cattle. And
no one here believes in penning a dog. There is no lot on the market large
enough to be fair

i've had no trouble keeping a Boxer with only a tiny, city yard. and,
for a brief time, no yard at all. i currently have a 1.5 acre "dog
yard." it's plenty big enough for my dogs to gallop around in, which
is nice. dogs need more than that, though--especially Boxers. in
addition to exercise and mental stimulation, they need supervision and
a *lot* of human attention. if they don't get those things, they will
not thrive. without them, they are also likely to engage in less than
desirable behavior, like chasing cattle.

FWIW my own Boxer would love to worry livestock ("oh, lookee,
horsies!!" boing boing boing!). simply keeping her indoors solves
that problem very nicely; making sure she's got the attention, mental
stimulation, and exercise she needs makes keeping her indoors easy.
if they fit into your lifestyle, Boxers are not difficult dogs to live
with.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely
improbable lacks.
-- Douglas Adams

Old March 20th 05, 03:40 PM
ThunderWolf

Before advising you (or anyone else for that matter) on any breed (for
the sake of arguement we'll call wolfdog a breed in this case), I'd
want to know what your lifestyle is? Can you afford to put up a good
sized habitat for when your companion animal needs to be outside?
(With or without you). How much time can you spend with your
companion? Do you have other canids? What do you know about any given
breed you've chosen and why did you choose those breeds in the first
place? What do you know about training?

Far too many canids are needing rescue for the simple fact that people
get a pup/dog simply because they like the look or the reputation of a
particular breed. If someone doesn't have the temperament or lifestyle
for the breed they choose, they'll more than likely be yet another
human who adds to the rescue problem.

Camille

Lupangelicus for a Divine Dog
http://DivineDog.com