Long-term antibiotic use

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 31st 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Long-term antibiotic use

Any ideas if there are any ramifications (systemic) for long-term use of
antibiotics in dogs? I realize that drug resistance can be a big issue, but
I can't think of any other options at this point.

Khan has persistant skin infections, secondary to his Atypical Cushing's,
and he is basically itching and scratching himself badly (even threw up a
hairball yesterday, probably from all the biting). We saw a tremendous
improvement and relief any time he was on antibiotics (tooth extraction,
when he cut his paw pad), and at this stage of the game, I don't see any
point in making him suffer unnecessarily. It seems as if a week long course
of antibiotics buys him about two itch-free weeks, so at our next vet visit,
I am considering asking the vet to put him on a long-term antibiotic
protocol.

Also going to make an appointment with a good holistic vet to see if she can
suggest alternates to this.

Suja