bleeding 13 year old female dog, Normal?

Old February 12th 19, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default bleeding 13 year old female dog, Normal?

Thank you whom ever that person that stood up for me. I have rescued 3 older dogs. This female is do preciuos. The vet wouldn't spay her because of her age. She might not make it through the surgery. So yes- teach don't preach! That's why we ask questions, hoping to get answers. We all love and treat our pets like our kids.
Old February 16th 19, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
cshenk

wrote:

Thank you whom ever that person that stood up for me. I have rescued
3 older dogs. This female is do preciuos. The vet wouldn't spay her
because of her age. She might not make it through the surgery. So
yes- teach don't preach! That's why we ask questions, hoping to get
answers. We all love and treat our pets like our kids.

Welcome Tracy

Actually at 3 she can be spayed. There's no end to when that can be
done if the dog is healthy. In Virginia Beach we have many rescues and
I've adopted 1 elderly female who was spayed at the age of 18 (believed
to be). Still, you don't mention her age and she may have had other
health problems.

What you saw (and will again as female dogs don't have menopause, they
just slow down a lot on the heat cycles) was a heat cycle likely.

The big risk in late spay is mammary cancer. Waiting past age 3
increases the risk a lot and someplace (I'll try to find it, PetMD
probably) is over age 10 then it becomes 1 in 4 will get mammary
cancer. Since most breeds don't live much past that, it becomes
notable for Terriers and Beagles (and any mix of them).

Checking for that is actually pretty easy. It's much like a self
breast exam you might do in the shower (Tracy can be a gender neutral
name).

If you are a male Tracy then I just talked greek at you! Ok, you use
the flats of your fingers and in this case you are giving her a tummy
rub. Same firmness you would use for a nice belly rub but go slow and
feel aound the breast areas. The most common spot for it to start is
in the hind teats, near the junction of her back legs. You check for
changes or any tenderness developing. In a spayed dog (no heat), they
should be stable with no tenderness. If she starts heat, that probably
changes but I have no direct experience as I've never had an unspayed
dog.

BTW on the group here, what we mostly see are folks using googlegroups
who don't bother to check the date of the post. Googlegroups at the
start, shows you oldest messages first. You have to skip to current.
Thats why ' got a short answer on his
diatribe on the dog and the soap bar. He was replying to a post from
1999.

Carol