"Working" Rat Terriers

Old September 18th 04, 12:19 AM
Tirya

Default "Working" Rat Terriers

I know that there are still breeds that are bred to perform their original
function (hunting dogs, LGDs, sighthounds, for example), but are there any
terrier breeds out there that still have "working" lines and are capable
ratters in a farm setting?

Tirya

Old September 18th 04, 01:19 AM
Richard Swanso

Tirya wrote:
I know that there are still breeds that are bred to perform their original
function (hunting dogs, LGDs, sighthounds, for example), but are there any
terrier breeds out there that still have "working" lines and are capable
ratters in a farm setting?

Tirya

As your subject line says.....Rat Terriers, better than cats.
I have two. They are quick, smart and afraid of nothing.
Make great pets too.

Rich
Old September 18th 04, 01:30 AM
Sionnach

"Tirya" wrote:

but are there any
terrier breeds out there that still have "working" lines and are capable
ratters in a farm setting?

More JRTs than not are still working dogs, even if they're not
specifically being bred to work - and plenty of breeders are still selecting
for hunting ability. However, Jacks are more commonly used on grey and red
fox, raccoon, badger, and woodchuck than on rats - although plenty of them
are also excellent ratters.
Mine is a very efficient mouser.

Old September 18th 04, 01:37 AM
Judy

"Tirya" wrote in message
I know that there are still breeds that are bred to perform their original
function (hunting dogs, LGDs, sighthounds, for example), but are there any
terrier breeds out there that still have "working" lines and are capable
ratters in a farm setting?

Capable? Or actually physically working as such? The answer to both is
"yes".

I have two miniature schnauzers - which were originally intended as barn
ratters. Not only are they more than willing (as are their relatives) to
quickly dispatch any and all vermin that come into our yard, we can prove
such by the synthetic means of Earthdog tests.

Jack Russells come to mind immediately as well. A lifetime ago, we owned a
feed mill. One of the places we delivered to had a whole herd of Jacks.
They were always loose around the farm - and their ratting abilities,
individually and as a group, were clearly apparent. That's in addition to
the tremendous amount of earthdog type of competitions available to the
breed.

And there are - I think Jo Wolf has more information than I do - places in
New Jersey where the farmers actually welcome working terriers. My memory
is of primarily dachshunds being brought in to hunt and dig out woodchucks.

ANY responsible terrier breeder is aware of their breed's origin and should
be constantly verifying the continuation of the instincts in their lines. I
know the AMSC emphasizes this to their breeders. There is a fairly large
pod of Border Terriers and Welsh Terriers nearby me - and I can vouch also
for their interest in the importance of the instinct in their lines. But,
of course, it still comes down to the breeders themselves. But speaking for
my dogs, and I'm guessing the schnauzer is not the type of terrier you were
expecting the response from, the answer is "yes". And the fact that the
breeder is also doing conformation does not have to indicate that the
working instinct is not also a priority.

We've had barn dogs of various breeds and combinations over the years. Many
of them were ferocious ratters. My show-bred agility dogs would compare
very favorably with the best of those dogs.
--
~~Judy
When life gives you lemons, ask for tequila and salt.

Old September 18th 04, 01:26 PM
Ivana Marinkovic

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:19:06 GMT, "Tirya" in hoc
locus scripsit:

I know that there are still breeds that are bred to perform their original
function (hunting dogs, LGDs, sighthounds, for example), but are there any
terrier breeds out there that still have "working" lines and are capable
ratters in a farm setting?

Jagdterriers - in their land of origin they can't even be bred before they
do the Earthdog test thing. There's no *pure show* lines, there are only
lines that are too agressive (attack anything that moves) and those that
are just fine. Germans also expect some retrieving work done, they should
readily go to water for instance. Then there was this girl that dug tunnels
under the building from one side to the other...

--
To choose one sock from each of infinitely many pairs of socks requires the Axiom of Choice,
but for shoes the Axiom is not needed. --Bertrand Russell
Old September 22nd 04, 03:30 AM
Jo Wolf

Yep, the New Jersey Beanfield Terriers are actively working terriers and
dachshunds and a few lurchers that are invited in to farm fields to help
control groundhogs. and other varmints. The group also holds AKC
Earthdog events and other fun things for terriers and related breeds
like the dachs.

There are many terriermen out and around the US who hunt their terriers
regularly, and who cross and mix for size and other characteristics.
Feists, working Borders imported from the UK, working Lakies imported
from the UK, Patterdales, and JRTs are the most common base
breeds/types. I recently talked to one of them who wanted to use an of
my males on his JRT/BT cross bitch to continue his "line". Interesting
man and he Loves that bitch. I just couldn't provide stud service for a
cross, however.

Now... the working Lakies are more "rustic", less refined than the
show/pet version. The working Borders aren't very much different, if
you groom them. Patterdales can vary a lot and are not pets.... and I
have yet to see a Fiest that makes a good suburban pet. Just like the
JRTs you see around the ones these guys have fit all of the types....
Except for the BT, none of these really make great pets.. not even the
JRTs of this breeding.

The average Border Terrier from a pet or show home reverts to type Very
quickly. How fast can you blink? Will rat effectively or go to ground.

We have a new sport/game recently developed by Jo Ann Frier-Murza, who
wrote the book on Earthdog work. It's called Ratting for Ratings. Rats
are individually placed in PVC pipe lengths with vented caps. These are
scattered in a a natural area of farm type building in places rats would
be found. How many the dog finds in a given time period produces the
ratings. Open to the Earthdog breeds, at this point. At our specialty
this year, the dogs entered had one huge blast and did very well.

A few years ago, a man who operated a varmint control business in Ohio
had to give up his dogs. We got a lovely import working Border... that
liked cats... went right into a pet home. I think they got an ILP on
him and took him into Earthdog, which he found totally boring, but
worked well in the field with a couple of our active hunters... then
went home to be cuddled at night. The working Bedlingtons (2 or 3) went
into pet homes, but Experienced Terrier Homes. The Patterdales were
hard to place as the gal who pulled them neutered right away and wanted
them only into indoor-dog homes; the brotherhood only wants intact dogs
of Proven worth, and kennels them...

The owner of our most recently famous multi-multi best in show dogs was
training him to track, and found a roadkill fox near the field. Took
Eddie over to check it out, and even though it was dead, he went into a
killing frenzy until he was personally Certain. Although his owner is
an Earthdog judge, she was amazed at his reaction.

A student of mine adopted two "teacup" Yorkies a couple of years ago
when their owner died. He's still reporting their kills to us... a
couple of impressive rats and lots of mice and chipmunks.

Our AKC breed standard video shows a BT bitch being pulled out of the
groundhog den by her handy tail. holding onto the critter for dear
life.... dog and hog swaying gently in the breeze for some time....
This was her second day in the field, in New Jersey... brought from CA
by her owner just to see what they could learn.

I have seen a supposedly non-hunter Wire Fox Terrier almost tear apart a
very secure container to try to get a rat....

So the terriers, as a group still have the fire in their bellies, when
given the chance.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

D/FW/Plano Meet fellow Boston Terriers in Dallas Bostons Only!! BostonsDFW Dog breeds 0 September 11th 04 09:00 PM
Staffordshire Bull Terriers Gerry Dog breeds 1 December 2nd 03 11:50 PM
Rimadyl isn't Working Mollypup1 Dog health 0 October 20th 03 02:50 AM
Rat terriers bmuesli Dog breeds 10 October 16th 03 07:16 PM
bull terriers Elizabeth DeLeo Dog breeds 0 July 10th 03 12:05 AM