heartworm med

Old July 1st 03, 11:12 AM
Carolyn Deese

Default heartworm med

I also think a trip to the vet annually is important for the parvo
vaccine especially if you have very young or older dogs. We also give
heartgard year round living in NE Florida. I agree it gets a little
expensive with three large dogs but the almost 240.00 a year is worth it
not to have to feel the guilt if one of them should get heartworms
because I didn't want to spend the money.

About the rabies, I checked with my vet last week on this and an annual
shot is still required in our area. We do have rabies quarantines here
quite often but you very seldom hear of dogs being rabid. Most of the
time it's coons or cats.

I would not have known about Rockzies thyroid problem if it had not been
for the annual. I was taking her to another vet and he told me she was
just fat. This vet discovered that she had a thyroid condition and the
dog has lost 26 pounds.
It was getting very frustrating trying to get the weight off a dog when
nothing seemed to be working and she kept getting bigger.
She still isn't thin but she is getting a lot trimmer and having a much
better life.

Carolyn

heartworm med

Group: rec.pets.dogs.health Date: Mon, Jun 30, 2003, 10:19pm (EDT+4)
From: (ZPL)
In my part of the country, most use heartworm preventative year round.
Then, "we" all get a blood draw every year for heartworm testing anyway.
I think even the online pet drug suppliers require a "clear" heartworm
test before selling to you. I think its because if the immature worm
gets to a certain point in growth, the heartworm med can actually kill
the dog. (I think it has to do with the size of the worm and it clogging
up the major vessels and lungs if it dies.)
In many states it is now required that the vet vaccinate for Rabies.
Many states they have changed the guidelines from vaccinating every
year, to every three years. (County and city guidelines can overrule the
state - and it is up to you vet to decide.) The vet usually gives a
quick go-over with the vaccination, just to pick up things line
cancerous growths or stuff like that.
It does seem like a pain to drag the hound in for a blood test. But,
heartworms are SO expensive and can be dangerous to treat.
"halv" wrote in message
Isnt it OK to skip every other year if there was medication thru the
time frame??
"ZPL" wrote in message
Doesn't the dog need vaccinated and an annual exam this year?
"halv" wrote in message
Is there anywhere a person can get heartguard without a prescription?? I
had my dog checked last year for heartworm and was - . I have given all
the
meds to prevent to this point so I dont see why I need another trip to
the vet. Any problem with injection of farm ivomectin with right
dosages??

Old July 1st 03, 11:56 AM
buglady

"Michael A. Ball" wrote in message
By saying, "most likely," I wonder if you are awaiting an official

announcement from the National
Veterinary Association, that yearly vaccinations are not needed.

Personally, I think it will
forthcoming.

......Well, actually one size doesn't fit all when it comes to vax. Every
animal needs to be evaluated individually, depending on the incidence of
particular diseases in the locale, age and the health of the dog. For
instance a county wide outbreak of parvo might have you reconsidering a
booster, while the coronavirus vax is virtually useless, lyme vax has the
ability to cause more harm than good and the lepto can be dangerous in combo
and has limited value. Despite the fact that annual vax is a habit and not
scientifically sound, now everyone is afraid to back off on something that
doesn't even make good immunological sense. Personally I'm not waiting on
anyone to make those decisions for me. They're mine to make. The
veterinary community is worried about *herd* immunity. I worry about the
critters in my household.

Do you think a yearly titer check will replace certain vaccinations?

.......I doubt it, at least the way they are done now. We still don't know
how the immune system works and a dog with a low antibody titer is perfectly
capable of mounting a defense against a disease, so titers are not the whole
story. It's expensive, but the way titers should be used is to do one
before the vax, then within a reasonable amount of time after the vax. This
tells you the body is capable of defending itself against a known invader.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old July 1st 03, 05:05 PM
halv

I didnt say I did it I just heard of it. It is the same medicine after all.
Dont you people get fed up with the beaurocracy of the medicines and people
who supply them. If the medicine is given and the dose is right then the
need for a test should only happen every other year. Why else do they charge
so outrageously except for the research and testing. I only want to go in
to the doctor every two to three years and Id rather take my dog in every
other also. I think the vaccines for parvo and rabies are good for two
years.
"Michael A. Ball" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:20:02 -0500, "halv"

wrote:

Is there anywhere a person can get heartguard without a prescription?? I
had my dog checked last year for heartworm and was - . I have given all

the
meds to prevent to this point so I dont see why I need another trip to

the
vet. Any problem with injection of farm ivomectin with right dosages??

I never skimp on the health care of my dogs. I hope you won't either.

I don't know of a source for HeartGuard without a prescription, but almost

anything is possible.

I am very consistent with the administration of HeartGuard, but each of my

dogs is tested annually,
as a safeguard against a weak batch of medicine.

As for "injection of farm ivomectin with right dosages," you're dangerous.

I'm not wealthy; so, I have to choose between luxuries for myself or

necessities for my dogs. They
*always* win!

Michael