Dog Barking

Old February 2nd 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Dog Barking

"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

Here are a couple more pictures of Muttley:

http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley..._200901_04.jpg
http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley..._200901_05.jpg

Paul and Muttley

I've found a good indicator of anxiety/stress is the tongue flick. It's
very quick and the tongue flicks out and touches the nose.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...n29282967/pg_2

Muttley is a handsome dog-

Alison,
Baby, I've been here before, I've seen this post and I've read this thread.
- Hallelujah

Old February 2nd 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"montana wildhack" wrote in message

I was considering being queen of the universe, but then I saw something
shiny.

Yeah, it happens Was this the shiny thing you saw?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t/cybermen.jpg

Old February 2nd 09, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Alison" wrote in message
"Paul E. Schoen" wrote in message

Here are a couple more pictures of Muttley:

http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley..._200901_04.jpg
http://www.smart.net/~pstech/Muttley..._200901_05.jpg

Paul and Muttley

I've found a good indicator of anxiety/stress is the tongue flick. It's
very quick and the tongue flicks out and touches the nose.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...n29282967/pg_2

Muttley is a handsome dog-

That is a good article, and it is by Pat Miller, who operates her
"Peaceable Paws" facility nearby in Hagerstown. I read the entire article,
which started with her observations of the video of a dog, "Faith", with
only two legs, where most people saw a "happy dog", while she saw
disturbing signs of stress, possibly from being filmed. She ended her
article with the conclusion that rebukes the usual statements made after a
vicious dog bite that state it was unprovoked and had no warning signs.

I tried to observe Muttley for signs of stress.

At least in his present environment, I do not see signs of stress, although
some signals seem to be present. I had just recently given him a rawhide
chew, which he took rather quickly from me (as he usually does). This is
listed under "displacement behaviors" as a form of mouthing, but I think he
was just excited to get it and start chewing it up.

When he had finished it, he came upstairs and jumped up on the bed, licking
his lips and nose. But I think he was just showing how much he enjoyed the
treat. He was sure wagging his stubby tail!

Sometimes he does what might be termed leaning/clinging, but I think it is
more of an attention-getter than a sign of stress. Well, usually it means
he wants to go out, or wants food, or maybe just some attention, so I guess
that is a form of stress.

He will also sometimes scratch me with his paw, or even put one or two paws
on my shoulders if he is behind me in bed while I am at the computer. He
will also look directly at me, and is not disturbed if I look directly at
him. I know that this is considered an effort to assert dominance if you
believe that theory, but I think he is just emphasizing his need for
attention. His tail is wagging furiously when he does this.

He is usually a very calm, laid back, and aloof sort of dog. He is happy to
lie on his own bed or on mine, either close to me or on another floor, and
sometimes he is so relaxed that I have to step over him to get past, with
little or no reaction. When he joins me in bed, he likes to flop on his
side, leaning on me, usually near my feet. If he takes up too much space, I
tell him "Muttley, move around", and he will get up until I get better
situated before plopping down again. Usually, but not always, I have to
invite him to get up close to me, with his head next to mine, and he will
sleep with me in that position with my arm draped over (or under) him. He
does not seem disturbed if I stroke his ears or move around, and usually he
seems to sleep soundly, snoring lightly, and often twitching as if he is
dreaming of something.

It seems that the list of stress signals is very similar to tha list of
calming signals, and perhaps those are just different terms for the same
thing. Certainly, when one is in a stressful situation, it is natural to do
something to reduce the stress.

I think this is an important topic, and would be interesting to discuss in
a separate thread. This one has drifted far from the OP's topic, and has
taken on a life of its own.

Paul and Muttley

Old February 2nd 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Alison" spoke these words of wisdom in
:

I've found a good indicator of anxiety/stress is the tongue flick. It's
very quick and the tongue flicks out and touches the nose.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...n29282967/pg_2

I look for the tongue flick on a working scenting dog to insure that they
"are" still _working_.

No tongue flick, we re-evaluate.
Old February 2nd 09, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 2009-02-02 15:26:33 -0500, "Alison" said:

Yeah, it happens Was this the shiny thing you saw?

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t/cybermen.jpg

Very festive outfits!

Old February 9th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Jan 26, 11:31*pm, wrote:
I have a 6 year old Golden Retriver and she always barks whenever
someone knocks on the door. Any ideas on how to make her stop?

Well, I don't know if this will work for you, but it did for us. We
got a bottle of spray from the vet here, and the dog hates its smell.
So, we would stay by the door, and if someone knocks, and the dog
starts barking, just a quick squirt. It is totally harmless, but if
you do it enough times, your dog should learn the lesson, without
having to hurt him/herself. If this do not work, then check out this
video, and be thankful that yours only bark when someone knocks. lol.
http://www.theonion.com/content/vide...arking_nonstop
.. Hope you come right.
Old March 31st 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
"Janet Boss" wrote in message
REWARD does not have to be food.

Give that girl a star! My dogs LOVE food. I use food for all sorts of
stuff. I also don't use food for all sorts of stuff. Many rewards, a
lot of fun and results!

Janet could not get Muttley to accept a rawhide treat from her, while he
would go nuts and grab one from my hand if I offered him one at home. So
there must have been some level of stress or distrust going on.

Of course there was! Trust your dog's instincts. They can tell you a lot
if you pay attention to their moods and reactions.

Barking Lab RCE Dog behavior 0 March 26th 07 12:35 AM
Barking [email protected] Dog behavior 6 August 20th 06 04:54 PM
Barking Dog Nick Dog behavior 0 August 6th 04 10:05 AM
Barking Dog Nick Dog behavior 0 August 6th 04 10:05 AM
Barking Dog Nick Dog behavior 0 August 6th 04 10:05 AM