Barf Diet

Old October 17th 03, 08:50 PM
Alison Perera

(Steve Crane) wrote:

(GAUBSTER2) wrote in message
Before you embark on this idea, visit this website.

http://secondchanceranch.org/rawmeat.html

Yes, please do inquire as to what a pet food distributor thinks about a
home-prepared diet that obviates the need to buy pet food.

-Alison in OH

Tsk, tsk, Alison. That doesn't take away the fact that this website has
some
very good research and some very compelling arguments!

Yea, ROFLMAO, but when you can't defeat the facts presented, the only
recourse is to denigrate the messenger.

Dude, give me a fact and I'll bow down to it!! I see very very few facts
on that site and those that are there are warped to fit a particular
view. (eg. It's true that dogs get salmonella poisoning but how relevant
is this fact?) How is it denigrating the messenger to point out that she
distributes pet food any more than it's denigrating your posts to point
out that you work for Hill's?

-Alison in OH
Old October 19th 03, 07:00 AM
GAUBSTER2

I am also not impressed by
the site owner's "research" (I saw a lot of links to opinionated people)

That's what most people's "links" consist of anyway. It seems that most links
are only other people's opinions and not neccessarily "proof".

Old October 19th 03, 08:44 AM
Supergoof

Alison Perera wrote ...
(Sunni12) wrote:

Can someone give me the address for a website that explains what this is

and
what its plus's and minus's are.

Are you talking about vomit or about the commercial diet by BARFworld:
barfworld.com?

If you're talking about feeding your dog more naturally I like the group
called rawfeeding at yahoogroups.

Or you could try the website
http://www.rawmeatybones.com/ - Tom Lonsdale
wrote a book about it. The BARF diet is associated with Dr Billinghurst and
is quite complicated.

But the rawfeeding group that Alison has recommended is an excellent place
to find out all you ever needed to know about a raw diet, whichever you may
choose.

They've kindly answered all my silly questions, and I started my 11yo lab
cross on a raw diet 2 weeks ago tomorrow - she's doing great!

cheers
Rachel
(New Zealand)

Old October 20th 03, 05:31 PM
Steve Crane

Alison Perera wrote in message ...
In article ,

Dude, give me a fact and I'll bow down to it!! I see very very few facts
on that site and those that are there are warped to fit a particular
view. (eg. It's true that dogs get salmonella poisoning but how relevant
is this fact?) How is it denigrating the messenger to point out that she
distributes pet food any more than it's denigrating your posts to point
out that you work for Hill's?

-Alison in OH

FACT - this web site contains some peer reviewed published materials -
none of which agree with the barf fadists points of view. In contrast
the barfistas can't point to single peer reviewe published piece of
work anywhere that supports the barf views.

FACT - There isn't a single Board certified veterinary nutritionist
who agrees with the Barf cult ideas - Not a SINGLE one! Let's see,
who do I want to trust with my dogs health? - The scientists who have
spent their lives studying it, and have the board certifications to
prove it, or some goof ball in Australia making the big bucks selling
his latest and greatest fad?

FACT - The barfistas diet can and will cause some animals to have
serious implication from the bones in the diet - x-rays on the site
prove it.

Facts are such pesky creatures aren't they? Especially when they prove
you wrong.

Old October 20th 03, 08:05 PM
Alison Perera

(Steve Crane) wrote:

[...]

Will you please stop using that vomit word? It's making me nauseous.

Peer reviewed materials? I saw 12 links supposedly to abstracts
confirming that dogs can and occasionally do show clinical signs of
salmonella infection (aka food poisoning). Uh, yeah. One link
purporting to be about captive red wolves--I was not able to verify
what, exactly, the wolves were eating. And one link purporting to be
about African wild dogs. Of course NONE of the links work. Did you
actually examine the "peer reviewed published works" yourself? She
doesn't even provide authors' names so you can look the abstract up
yourself.

One link was posted to a full text article in the journal Nutrition. It
concluded that a high protein, high fat diet is optimal for racing sled
dogs and that kibble can't meet their needs. Hmm.

Who's the Australian goofball, pray tell, and why would anyone trust
their dog's health to a goofball? Personally I trust *myself* with my
dog's health. When I need advice or resources from those with more
education in the field than I have, there are vets aplenty on both
hemispheres to help me out including those that I can consult in person.

I can't comment on any of the x-rays without knowing the particulars of
what those dogs were eating. You're right, there's a serious implication
there but nothing concrete. For me and my pets, an incident involving
constipation or a decimated deer bone would definitely be cause to stop
and consider the individual animal's chewing temperament and digestive
capabilities and to re-evaluate the diet accordingly. It's the beauty of
home-prepared pet food: flexibility.

-Alison in OH