Yellow frothy liquid vomit.

Old August 18th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

Default Yellow frothy liquid vomit.

When we first welcome Demon and Pudge into our home we noticed that they
*constantly* threw up a yellow liquid. Most times it was a little frothy
as well. As in a bit of foam on top.

I chocked it up to poor diet and worms (both of which they were affected
by). Now, almost 2 years later, once in a *great* while one of them will
throw this yellow liquid up. By great while I mean maybe every six to
nine months, but only when I spy something...

Demon has a fondness for her own poop and the poop of the thousands of
stray cats that lurk around here.

Pudge likes eating hair.

They both shed a *LOT* so the hair consumption can get a little
ridiculous. Anyway, we are *always* on the lookout for Demon trying to
woof down chocolate bars in the front yard and are constantly cleaning up
or vacuuming hair up so that Pudge is devoid of her furry treats as well.

Long and possibly boring story short...

....what might make dogs puke yellow liquid?

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old August 18th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Peetie Wheatstraw

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 08:00:13 -0500, "-Lost" wrote:

[...]

I'm guessing you've already explained this. Your dogs
are ingesting stuff that should'nt be eaten.

yellow liquid?

The yellow is likely bile, a natural digestive fluid.

Peetie
Old August 18th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

Peetie Wheatstraw's response:

...what might make dogs puke

I'm guessing you've already explained this. Your dogs
are ingesting stuff that should'nt be eaten.

OK. I just wanted to make sure that I laid down enough of the dilemma to
help everyone help me. For all I knew yellow liquid being expelled could
have been indicative of eating too many lemonheads.

yellow liquid?

The yellow is likely bile, a natural digestive fluid.

So, I shouldn't be worried?

Thanks so much, Peetie.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old August 18th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Peetie Wheatstraw

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:02:19 -0500, "-Lost" wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw's response:

...what might make dogs puke

I'm guessing you've already explained this. Your dogs
are ingesting stuff that should'nt be eaten.

OK. I just wanted to make sure that I laid down enough of the dilemma to
help everyone help me. For all I knew yellow liquid being expelled could
have been indicative of eating too many lemonheads.

yellow liquid?

The yellow is likely bile, a natural digestive fluid.

So, I shouldn't be worried?

I didn't say that. :-)

These are adult dogs. With proper care and diet, throw-ups can
be kept to a minimum.

What do you feed and how often? Are they over or under weight?

Check the archives re poop-eating.

If they keep eating wierd stuff, it'll likely be a headache
for them and you (sooner or later). Would good, safe (new)
treats dissuade them from eating unedibles?

Thanks so much, Peetie.

I'd start by completely reviewing their diet and seeking to
keep them to it.

Peetie
Old August 18th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

"-Lost" wrote in
:

So, I shouldn't be worried?

Quick rule of thumb: If you are concerned enough to ask strangers on
the internet, then it's probably not a bad idea to at least call your
vet's office and ask one of the techs if you should make an
appointment.

That said, many dogs will vomit a little bit of bile when their
stomachs have been empty for too long. The easiest thing you can do
right this minute is to start breaking your dogs' total food up into
more and smaller portions and feeding them more frequently. For
example, I feed my dog about 1.5 cups of food each day. I used to
split it into two meals, but now I split the same total amount into
three meals, specifically because she started throwing up bile. She
gets fed around 5am after her morning walk, then at about 4pm when I
get home from work, then again at about 9-10pm when I go to bed.

--
Shelly
Old August 19th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sallytighe

Shelly schrieb:
"-Lost" wrote in
:

So, I shouldn't be worried?

Quick rule of thumb: If you are concerned enough to ask strangers on
the internet, then it's probably not a bad idea to at least call your
vet's office and ask one of the techs if you should make an
appointment.

That said, many dogs will vomit a little bit of bile when their
stomachs have been empty for too long. The easiest thing you can do
right this minute is to start breaking your dogs' total food up into
more and smaller portions and feeding them more frequently. For
example, I feed my dog about 1.5 cups of food each day. I used to
split it into two meals, but now I split the same total amount into
three meals, specifically because she started throwing up bile. She
gets fed around 5am after her morning walk, then at about 4pm when I
get home from work, then again at about 9-10pm when I go to bed.

Interestingly enough, my dog's bile-vomiting habit was greatly reduced
when I changed him from two meals a day to one. He used to sick up
frothy white or yellow liquid regularly early in the morning and
sometimes in the evening, if his evening meal was later than usual.

I thought it a bit strange that switching to once a day should help with
this problem (the intention was to help with a different issue) until I
read an explanation that frequent predictable feeding times can
condition dogs' digestive systems to produce digestive juices ahead of
time, and if the food doesn't come, the juices (it's acid) needs to be
expelled. After reading that, I started feeding at different times, at
some point between 4 and 9pm, not always around 6pm fter his main walk,
as I had been doing, and the bile-vomiting completely stopped.

Independently of that problem, though, it sounds as if there is a
general problem with the diet, if one is eating poop and the other hair,
and if they're both sheddding too much. I'd try and check that out.

Don't know how it is over there, but here in Germany it's possible to
get a general blood analysis done quite cheaply -- blood work doesn't
show up everything, but it will hint at any major nutritional overdoses
or deficiencies.

Myself, I'd recommend a varied raw diet, if you're willing to read up on
it and put a bit of effort into finding things like green tripe etc. (or
maybe it's possible to buy readymade raw meals where you are?)

All the best,
Sally

Old August 19th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw's response:

...what might make dogs puke

I'm guessing you've already explained this. Your dogs
are ingesting stuff that should'nt be eaten.

OK. I just wanted to make sure that I laid down enough of the dilemma
to help everyone help me. For all I knew yellow liquid being expelled
could have been indicative of eating too many lemonheads.

yellow liquid?

The yellow is likely bile, a natural digestive fluid.

So, I shouldn't be worried?

I didn't say that. :-)

These are adult dogs. With proper care and diet, throw-ups can
be kept to a minimum.

What do you feed and how often? Are they over or under weight?

Dry dog food only. Whenever I have tried to treat them to (some very
good) wet food, they got the runs.

They also *love* these things called "steak bites." They get those only
when they are behaving though. So... maybe once a week. Yeah, I know.
Sad. : P

Check the archives re poop-eating.

Gotcha.

If they keep eating wierd stuff, it'll likely be a headache
for them and you (sooner or later). Would good, safe (new)
treats dissuade them from eating unedibles?

Beats me. They've got treats and I'm not stingy with them. Sometimes
they get them once a week, sometimes twice. And I always hand out at
least 3 per mutt.

Thanks so much, Peetie.

I'd start by completely reviewing their diet and seeking to
keep them to it.

We've definitely been making a concerted effort.

Thanks again.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old August 19th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

Shelly's response:

"-Lost" wrote in
:

So, I shouldn't be worried?

Quick rule of thumb: If you are concerned enough to ask strangers on
the internet, then it's probably not a bad idea to at least call your
vet's office and ask one of the techs if you should make an
appointment.

Quick rule of thumb: Not everyone is an idiot. : )

No, seriously, I called our local vet (all three of them) and they all
said the same "stomach acid" thing and that it was actually nothing to
worry about.

They suggested changing their feeding times, but that didn't immediately
clear the problem (in my opinion) so I opted to head here. Although it
is hard to decipher what works since it is once in a blue moon that they
upchuck.

That said, many dogs will vomit a little bit of bile when their
stomachs have been empty for too long. The easiest thing you can do
right this minute is to start breaking your dogs' total food up into
more and smaller portions and feeding them more frequently. For
example, I feed my dog about 1.5 cups of food each day. I used to
split it into two meals, but now I split the same total amount into
three meals, specifically because she started throwing up bile. She
gets fed around 5am after her morning walk, then at about 4pm when I
get home from work, then again at about 9-10pm when I go to bed.

After reading this bit my eyes were wide open, and I thought "that's them
all over." Since they are fairly perfect dogs in my opinion -- I mean,
who doesn't eat poop and hair? Anyway, since they are great mutts indeed
I leave their food out constantly. When it's empty or near empty we
refill.

We also notice that they eat in fairly normal intervals. Maybe... once
every 8 to 12 hours? Personally, I always thought this was a long time,
so your information above sounded spot on.

I'm going to remove their food based on this information and see if they
start mulling about. Then I'll place it back at set intervals, like what
you've mentioned. See if I can get them "wanting" it, so to speak.

Thanks for that detailed response!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old August 19th 07, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
-Lost

sallytighe's response:

[...]

Granted, they don't dine on poop and hair frequently, but it is something
that has happened enough times for us to notice it.

The horrible and *totally* funny fact of the matter is, when Demon was
about 6 months old or so, the way we found out she likes poop was 2 fold:

1. One of my daughters, 2 years old at the time kept saying "poopy
poo." We knew "poopy" was her way of saying puppy...

2. After my wife gave Demon a *BIG* (and I mean big) wet one on the
kisser, she quickly understood why our daughter said "poo" after
"poopy." : )

Don't know how it is over there, but here in Germany it's possible to
get a general blood analysis done quite cheaply -- blood work doesn't
show up everything, but it will hint at any major nutritional
overdoses or deficiencies.

Noted. Definitely going to check into that.

Myself, I'd recommend a varied raw diet, if you're willing to read up
on it and put a bit of effort into finding things like green tripe
etc. (or maybe it's possible to buy readymade raw meals where you
are?)

What exactly are you referring to? Raw meals specifically for dogs?
I've never heard of such a thing.

Granted, I can get whatever type of meat in this area. Is there a
general suggestion of which I should try?

Many thanks for your reply, Sally.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old August 19th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

"-Lost" wrote in
:

Quick rule of thumb: Not everyone is an idiot. : )

I'm pretty sure that I didn't call anyone an idiot.

--
Shelly

Passing clear liquid (NOT URINE) [email protected] Dog health 0 January 13th 06 11:22 PM
Vomit Q KrisHur Dog behavior 0 July 5th 04 10:54 PM
Vomit Q KrisHur Dog behavior 0 July 5th 04 10:54 PM
schnauzer vomits yellowish liquid for few days Arthur Dog health 8 August 11th 03 01:18 PM
schnauzer vomits yellowish liquid for few days Arthur Dog health 0 August 10th 03 03:17 PM