Lhasa Apso put to sleep because of diabetes

Old November 30th 08, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
meteore

Default Lhasa Apso put to sleep because of diabetes

I feel compelled to share my story about having to put my best friend
for eleven years, a 29 pound female lhasa Apso. I bought her from a
respectable breeder when she was six months old and weighed 22 pounds.
She was big for her breed and people thought she was a Tibetan
terrier..

She always had plenty of energy and loved to walk. she barked briefly
at everybody she saw. She was saying hello. Years ago, when she was
about a year old, people were admiring shoes at a old fashioned wrap
around store window and I told her to say hello. She barked and the
people nearly jumped out of their clothes. Since then she never
stopped.

She was always friendly with other dogs, except she knew when dogs
were menacing and avoided them.

She was faithful and loving, allowed you to do any kind of grooming,
cleaning or administer any eye drops, which she recently needed, acct
mucous forming.

You had to watch how you talked, because she semed to understand
english. She would run in from the bedroom, when she heard something,
like being hungry, going in car etc.

She would come over to me at about supper time and sit in front of me
and tap me with her paw to start cooking supper, even though her food
was already there.

We gave her raw vegetables and fruit. Years ago we gave her cheese and
pasta and that I think caused her toget calcium stones in bladder and
a subsequent operation to remove them.

A few days ago she made me take her out frequently at all hours and
when she came back she would a large amount of water. I took her to
the vet and they diagnosed her with diabetes and a urinary infection,
which I missed, as Ithought it was a anal gland problem. She had a
very strong heart the doctor said.

My wife being ill herself and needing around the clock care and
awaiting entrance to a hospital, I felt I could not cope with two
problems.

I had her put to sleep and I am heartbroken. She was the best dog I
ever had and cannot say anything bad about her.

I am a senior and not in any rush to get another dog, Since Lhasa
Apsos really only come in small sizes, I was thinking after my wifes
problems are resolved I was thinking of getting a tibetan terrier or
havanese. I am in a appartment and I do not think it is suitable for a
large breed.

I wish I could have cloned my pet, but that is impossible at the
present time.

What breeds do you think are affectionate, gentle and intelligent and
suitable for my situation?

Roger

Old November 30th 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

meteore wrote:

A few days ago she made me take her out frequently at all hours and
when she came back she would a large amount of water. I took her to
the vet and they diagnosed her with diabetes and a urinary infection,
which I missed, as Ithought it was a anal gland problem. She had a
very strong heart the doctor said.

My wife being ill herself and needing around the clock care and
awaiting entrance to a hospital, I felt I could not cope with two
problems.

I had her put to sleep and I am heartbroken. She was the best dog I
ever had and cannot say anything bad about her.

Were you feeding her kibble? It causes diabetes quite frequently. Many
times a change in diet to something more species appropriate (real meat,
bones and organs) will cause the diabetes to totally go away. Sometimes
it won't.

I would bet your vet didn't tell you that.
Old November 30th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
I would bet your vet didn't tell you that.

Yeah, because her vet has a veterinary education.

Old December 1st 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

chardonnay9 spoke these words of wisdom in
m:

meteore wrote:

[...]

They fed her Raw and veggies. But I guess your reading comprehension is as
good as the history you have presented in the past. In fact. The diet may
have been the issue
Old December 1st 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

meteore wrote:

I had her put to sleep and I am heartbroken. She was the best dog I
ever had and cannot say anything bad about her.

I'm so sorry. It sounds like she was a great little dog. It must
have been an awful decision for you.

FurPaw

--
Why do people who embrace Social Darwinism object to teaching the
theory of evolution?

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old December 1st 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw

chardonnay9 wrote:

Were you feeding her kibble? It causes diabetes quite frequently. Many
times a change in diet to something more species appropriate (real meat,
bones and organs) will cause the diabetes to totally go away. Sometimes
it won't.

I would bet your vet didn't tell you that.

Cold. Really cold.

FurPaw

Old December 1st 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

FurPaw spoke these words of wisdom in news:ggvf7o
:

chardonnay9 wrote:

Were you feeding her kibble? It causes diabetes quite frequently. Many
times a change in diet to something more species appropriate (real meat,
bones and organs) will cause the diabetes to totally go away. Sometimes
it won't.

I would bet your vet didn't tell you that.

Cold. Really cold.

FurPaw

Yes, but they said they fed it raw. So they should not be shamed by Char's
accusations.
I am terribly sorry about the dog. Maintaining a diabetic dog can be very
challenging
Old December 1st 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

chardonnay9 wrote:

Were you feeding her kibble? It causes diabetes quite frequently. Many
times a change in diet to something more species appropriate (real meat,
bones and organs) will cause the diabetes to totally go away. Sometimes
it won't.

I would bet your vet didn't tell you that.

Cold. Really cold.

FurPaw

Yes, but they said they fed it raw.

"We gave her raw vegetables and fruit."

No mention of feeding raw meat. You all need to read for content.
Old December 1st 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
meteore

To All:-

I reposted before any replies under subject below.

"My loving Lhasa Apso and Diabetes"

Roger
Old December 1st 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
meteore

She started on dry Iams and after contacting calcium stones in
bladder she was given Urinary So5 or something like that.

I reposted the whole letter a few minutesafter orig posting acct
errors under:-

My loving Lhasa Apso and Diabetes.

Roger

Lhasa Apso Online Klaus Krebs Dog breeds 0 May 10th 08 09:11 AM
New Lhasa Apso book Miss 81 Dog breeds 0 April 3rd 05 06:20 PM
Lhasa Apso Frank van Tatenhove Dog breeds 1 April 19th 04 01:42 PM
Lhasa Apso Frank van Tatenhove Dog breeds 0 March 29th 04 02:53 PM
Lhasa Apso Turning Red Dog health 0 December 15th 03 03:07 AM