Skin Problem on a Pitbull-mix

Old July 2nd 03, 07:53 AM
tgentry

Default Skin Problem on a Pitbull-mix

I forgot to mention that right before all of this happened my upstairs
neighbor dumped a bunch of used charcoal with related bits of food and bbq
sauce in the yard which we caught her digging through. Could this cause some
sort of allergic reaction that might cause this?

"tgentry" wrote in message
thlink.net...
Hello everyone,

We have a three year old dog we got as a stray when it was a puppy. She
seems to have really sensitive skin and is prone to getting little rashes
under her front armpits and occastionally on her belly. They never seem to
be anything to worry about. Recently (about a week ago) she began acting a
little funny: she had trouble getting up onto furniture (yelping on
occasion), was very timid, walking around with her tail between her legs,
and seemed to be in an all around sad mood. Her mood has picked up, but

she
now has a bad breakout of a pimple-like rash on her belly, which has her
licking at it a lot, and it seems to have spread to her mouth somewhat. We
are going to take her to the vet, but I was wondering if anyone can tell

me
anything about it now? Are these things related? How worried should we be?
Thanks for any help you can offer.

travis.

Old July 2nd 03, 07:58 AM
culprit

"tgentry" wrote in message
[...]

could she have gotten into anything like poison ivy? my female pit bull has
sensitive skin too, and sometimes has the little rashes under her legs, but
they never seem to bother her. but occasionally she gets into the nettles
out in the yard, and then she breaks out good and you can see it bothers her
quite a bit. as i understand it, pit bulls tend to have sensitive skin
anyway, so irritants tend to affect them more.
i'd give her a bath in luke warm water with some baking soda dissolved in it
to help relieve the itching and pain, just until you can get her to the vet.

-kelly

Old July 2nd 03, 01:19 PM
buglady

"tgentry" wrote in message
thlink.net...
I forgot to mention that right before all of this happened my upstairs
neighbor dumped a bunch of used charcoal with related bits of food and bbq
sauce in the yard which we caught her digging through. Could this cause

some
sort of allergic reaction that might cause this?

.......Activated charcoal is commonly used to absorb poisons in the gut, but
charcoal briquettes shouldn't be used:
http://www.ilpi.com/msds/ref/activatedcharcoal.html

.......Apparently the source of charcoal for the grill is not necessarily
from wood, but may be made from a variety of agricultural wastes. I
thought I remembered that ashes from the grill shouldn't be used in the
garden as they may contain heavy metals and finally found a ref for that:

http://www.czguest.com/docs/articles...nyp032298.html
QUESTION: Are the ashes from charcoal briquettes safe to use in the garden?
ANSWER: Briquettes are composed mostly of wood, but also contain coal with
wheat or corn as a binder. Some coals have high sulfur and/or heavy metal
content -- in particular, high lead and cadmium levels -- which can be
absorbed by plants. Sulfur combines with water to produce sulfuric acid,
which lowers the soil's pH.
Of course, not all coals contain dangerous levels of heavy metals and
sulfur, but since there's no way of telling without a chemical analysis,
it's a no-no!

.....So I think a vet visit is in order. As to her gimpiness, could be
anything, from an injury to impacted anal glands. I'd take your pup to the
vet for a thorough checkup.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

dry skin patch on bullmastiff bullmastifflvr Dog breeds 0 December 15th 03 03:10 AM
Rough Skin and Hair Loss on Chocolate Lab LabattB Dog breeds 5 November 24th 03 02:33 AM
My dog's dry skin Freckledgrrl Dog activities 6 October 24th 03 08:59 PM
toy poodle problem andeeroo Dog breeds 1 October 17th 03 04:55 AM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM