Adopting dog with kennel cough

Old February 26th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
jfish

Default Adopting dog with kennel cough

Hello,
I'm considering adopting a dog from the humane
society that has been treated for kennel cough.
I have a jack russel and this is another jack.
I don't want to wait too long to adopt because I'm
afraid he be gone if I do and I'm concerned about
how the two dogs will get along. The humane soceity does not allow direct
contact before an adoption is complete. What are the chances that my dog
will get kennel cough. The dog that has it
has been treated for two weeks and now has no symptoms.

Old February 27th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"diddy" wrote in message
in thread
Is your other dog vaccinated? If so, then it should have immunity against
Kennel cough.

.........only if it was vaccinated within the past year as Bordetella doesn't
last that long, being a bacterial vaccine.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old February 27th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shadow Walker

You could take your dog to the vet and get the nasal bordatela treatment. It
supposedly works faster than the shot and will help reduce the chances of
your other dog getting sick. I had to get it once for one of my dogs who was
exposed to another dog with kennel cough and he didn't contract it. Instead
my other dog that was never near the infected dog got it. Most vets do not
require it in the yearly shot regimen unless you plan to board your dog. I
need to update mine now that I think about it. I foster dogs on and off and
so keep mine up to date with it.

lkaboutpets.com...

Old February 27th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

You could take your dog to the vet and get the nasal bordatela treatment.
It supposedly works faster than the shot and will help reduce the chances
of your other dog getting sick.

However, for best chances of immunity, this should be given at least 2 weeks
prior to contact with other dogs. But bordetella plays games with science.
Think of it like the flu. Versions mutate and the vaccination is never 100%
effective, but better to have it when there will be bording or contact with
other dogs than not.